Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2012 RESULTS

BROKEN PBS IN BLUE
* Previous results found HERE

2013-2014

See here : www.dazcarter.com/results/

MAY 5
North Downs Way Ultra 50M - 7:27:50 - 2nd
JUL 22
Cotswold Way National Trail 102M - 20:36:48 - trail record
MAY 5
Malvern Hills Ultra 52M - 7:49:49 - 1st record
MAR 3
Green Man Ultra 46M - 7:08:45 - 1st record

NOV 19
Brecon Beacons Ultra 46M - 6:29:05 - 2nd
OCT 22-23
Caesar's Camp 100 Mile Ultra - 20:32:30 - 1st
JUN 26
Worcester Sprint Traithlon - 1:19:36 - 2nd

MAR 27
Malvern Hills Ultra 54M (4000ft) - 8:09:00 - 1st
MAR 27
London Marathon - 2:50:36
MAR 27
Kingston Breakfast Run - 1:36:42 - 7th
MAR 6
Sri Chimnoy 10M - 57:38 - 4th

MY SPONSORS AND SUPPORT

*** MAIN SPONSORS ***

***** SUPPORT *****

MULTI-DAY EVENTS

Offas Dyke Experiment
1-2 September
178-mile non-stop trail run in <44-Hours
(DNF injury - 80 miles completed)
Report Here

Coast-2-Coast
16-28 August
190-Mile Camping Hike in 12 days
Report Here

The Pennine Way
25 August - 6 September
270-Mile Camping Hike in 12 days
Report Here

LEJOG 2
9-21 June
Lands End to John O'Groats Island Hopper (via Outter Hebrides) Unassisted Bike Ride
Report Part I Here
Report Part II Here
Info on Calmac Network/Scottish Islands
Gavin Robertson Thread

LEJOG 1
19 June to 2 July
Lands End to John O'Groats (to Inverness) Unassisted Bike Ride
Lands End to John O'Groats 2005 Report
Pre-Lejog prep
1. SJR Thread
2. SJR Thread II (Probs)
3. Ray Thread (Arrival)
Pictures
DEAN CARTER (BROTHER)

UPDATE 12 JUN 2009
The paperback of my brother's third book, 'Blood Water' has been released.

Blood Water (paperback) on Amazon for £4.49
Dean's myspace webpage here

The hardback and paperbacks of 'Hunting Season' and 'Hand of the Devil' are still available:

HUNTING SEASON SYNOPSIS
Eight years ago, the Austrian emergency services were called to the scene of a bizarre car accident... two mangled bodies were found in the snow not far from the vehicle, clawed and chewed by a ferocious animal.....
Something unspeakable took Gerontius Moore’s parents from him, leaving him orphaned and alone. Now, that something, is back. Caught up in a terrifying hunt and finding help from an unlikely source, Gerontius must once more flee the clutches of an appalling beast, before it learns its business is unfinished. Full moon or not, the hunt is on.

'Better than Stephen King' ANDY McNAB

HAND OF THE DEVIL SYNOPSIS
When young magazine journalist Ashley Reeves receives an intriguing letter, he leaves his London office in the hope of reporting on an unusual species of insect - the Ganges Red. That evening he arrives on Aries Island and encounters the writer of the letter - Reginald Mather. At first Mather seems no more than an eccentric collector, happy to live in isolation on the island. But when Reeves unearths the horrific truth, he finds himself thrown headlong into a macabre nightmare that quickly spirals out of control. His life is in danger ...and Mather is not his only enemy ...Both gruesome and compelling, chilling and page-turning, this much-anticipated thriller from Dean Vincent Carter will delight older readers.

'Sensational' DAILY EXPRESS
'Set to be [the] next big hit' INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY
'The next Stephen King...' EVENING STANDARD
Last Blog Posts

2011-2012
Been a while
Base Training
Ironman UK, Enduroman

Total topics: 166
Total posts: 1656

IRONMAN LANZAROTE
Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 am Daz
IRONMAN LANZAROTE
Time – 10:41 (1:08 / 5:54 / 3:29)
Position – 107th / 1000

The catalyst for doing this race originated from a chat with Hywel at IMUK last year. He reckoned an event like this would do me the world of good. It certainly was a tough course - I literally almost drowned in the swim, had a sore throat from the sea water, and picked up a urinary infection during the race (which I am now on antibiotics for). I’ve had better Saturdays.

In hindsight the urinary infection ‘could’ have been around before the race. I had a strange illness/weakness 10 days before the event that disappeared in the final week. But at least it forced me to taper properly.

Headed over to Lanza with Dan (Martidj – did well in his first IM). We didn’t give ourselves a lot of time to prepare but everything was sorted by race day.

THE RACE : SWIM
I can honestly say I’ve never been so worried for my life. When the gun went I ran straight into the sea on the left next to the guide-rope, which in hindsight was a big mistake. I have only done one sea swim before and that was just a 30-man wave. I also had a tight wetsuit on and got wedged with everyone else against the guide ropes as those that were slower swimmers at the front dropped back. I had a panic attack, and gasped for air. Spent mins just treading water as the waves knocked us around. I drank/choked on sea-water which gave me a nasty sore throat for the rest of race. Almost went over to a boat to quit, but decided I would keep at it as it would get easier. Second lap I made sure I went wide of everyone. Meant I swam a little further but I could relax a bit more and prepare for the bike. The 1:08 time was better than I thought it would be, but still I was annoyed with myself for not preparing better. I should have done 1:00 but I was glad to finish…..it could only get better here on.

BIKE
It was a bit hectic in T1 and had to do a fair bit of dodging to get out. Took a pedestrian 5mins. I was frustrated with the poor swim and wanted to catch-up with what would have been my position. So I went hard for the first 1-2 hours. I caught Dan at this point who’d done a 60swim so knew I’d made up the ground.
I really enjoyed the bike climbs and the scenery that came with it. The first mountain switch-back descents were a lot of fun and worth the effort. Dropped a bottle approaching the Mirador del Rio and my stomach started to feel empty, so I made sure I took on board a lot of nutrition at the top.
The final stretch into a head wind was a bit soul-destroying. I hadn’t taken a pee-stop yet and was going to wait until T2, but thought I could also take the opportunity with 25k to go to stretch my legs and free-up a large gel that I couldn’t open. It was here I knew something wasn’t right. I was peeing freely but it felt like I was passing razor blades. Once I’d finished though I felt great. With the gel taken I had renewed energy and stormed the last section. I was pleased with myself for having made that decision. Did 5:54.

RUN
T2 was obviously not quite as busy. The English lady applying my body cream didn’t seem to realise I was in a race, very chatty. I really looked forward to the IM marathon (bet not many people can say that!). After leaving T2 I stopped for my usual stretching routine. No back problems and straight into my planned 3:15 pace, perfect.

Felt very loose to lap 6/8 but then started getting the sensation I needed to pee all the time. This was annoying because nothing was really coming out and….it hurt! Got a bit lazy at this point walking through aid stations but on the last lap I speeded up again and passed a nice big group of people also on their last lap. Had a good sprint at the end. Noticed from the results sheet that Id overtaken half the people ahead of me after the bike, from around 200th to 100th. Pleased with that.

After I passed the finish line I was asked if I wanted a drip and massage. I was prepared for this bizarre offer and being of curious mind decided to go for the saline drip. Didn’t really do much for me though and the need to pee was intense. When I returned to the apartment I had to sit on the toilet for lot of the time and had bladder pains. Returned to see a race doctor in evening and he reckoned it could be toxins in the urine and that I should drink lots of water. I did this and it did ease the pain a little.

Met a few other TT-ers over the weekend, including Stengun, Iron Rose, ChrisM, Hoops and Mattie on race day, and then Fix, Mikethebike and Npdall for drinks on Sunday.

AFTERS
Overall I was a little disappointed with my result/position. I thought that my IMUK Top50s and the big fitness improvements, upgraded gear might now translate to a Lanza Top50. I would only have been 10mins quicker from a good Swim+T1 and another 10mins on the Run. Which means…….I need to sort the bike out. And I know that. My training consisted of long bike rides on Sunday (to 75miles) but nothing in the week apart from the odd 30-60min spin. That’s not good enough.

However, I have a lot of positives to take away. I can handle an Ironman, and just have to improve my bike strength and keep clear in the swim. Should make a difference. I’m expecting 9:45 at IMUK (did 10:05 last time), that’ll be a good target. But do I increase weekly training hours by supplementing a couple of bike sessions? Maybe it IS time to step up a new gear and get some 20-hour training weeks in.

ALL
Thanks for your comments, it's always really nice to read them.

~   Last edited by Daz on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 am wiganer
Great report mate and another inspiration for me.....Fantastic effort and you shouldnt be disappointed with a result like that especially as you had an infection all the way round......

Well Done Son !!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thu May 24, 2007 12:27 pm pip
nice one Daz, i think you did really well Wink
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
EVENT HORIZON

See www.dazcarter.com/events

TARGET-FITNESS

I currently coach 25 triathletes, and provide nutritional support/analysis and personal training to any level of athlete. Click logo above for more details.

TRIATHLON COACHING

> Weekly personalised training programme
> Forward-look periodisation plan
> Unlimited emails to your coach
> Supplementary guidance notes
> Discounts and offers from companies

NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS

> Breakdown of micro and macronutrient intake
> Balance of macronutrients
> Correlation of calories consumed:expended (weight-loss planning)
> Report sumarising data, recommendations

Contact targetfitness@hotmail.co.uk for more information
STATS

BESTS TO DATE

IRONMAN
Time - 8:58 (Challenge Roth 2009)
Position - 19th/4th (IMUK 2010)
Swim split - 0:56 (IMUK 2010)
Bike split - 4:46 (Challenge Roth 2009)
Run split - 3:08 (Challenge Roth 2009)

OTHER
Ultra wins - 3
Triathlon wins - 1 Med
Duathlon wins - 1 Sprint
All about Daz

Daz
Occupation: Elite Endurance Athlete (Triathlon, Ultra Trail Running), Coach, Personal Trainer and Consultant
Interests: Endurance Events, Biathlon, Nutrition

Send e-mailSend private message

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.