Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2012 RESULTS

BROKEN PBS IN BLUE
* Previous results found HERE

2013-2014

See here : www.dazcarter.com/results/

MAY 5
North Downs Way Ultra 50M - 7:27:50 - 2nd
JUL 22
Cotswold Way National Trail 102M - 20:36:48 - trail record
MAY 5
Malvern Hills Ultra 52M - 7:49:49 - 1st record
MAR 3
Green Man Ultra 46M - 7:08:45 - 1st record

NOV 19
Brecon Beacons Ultra 46M - 6:29:05 - 2nd
OCT 22-23
Caesar's Camp 100 Mile Ultra - 20:32:30 - 1st
JUN 26
Worcester Sprint Traithlon - 1:19:36 - 2nd

MAR 27
Malvern Hills Ultra 54M (4000ft) - 8:09:00 - 1st
MAR 27
London Marathon - 2:50:36
MAR 27
Kingston Breakfast Run - 1:36:42 - 7th
MAR 6
Sri Chimnoy 10M - 57:38 - 4th

MY SPONSORS AND SUPPORT

*** MAIN SPONSORS ***

***** SUPPORT *****

MULTI-DAY EVENTS

Offas Dyke Experiment
1-2 September
178-mile non-stop trail run in <44-Hours
(DNF injury - 80 miles completed)
Report Here

Coast-2-Coast
16-28 August
190-Mile Camping Hike in 12 days
Report Here

The Pennine Way
25 August - 6 September
270-Mile Camping Hike in 12 days
Report Here

LEJOG 2
9-21 June
Lands End to John O'Groats Island Hopper (via Outter Hebrides) Unassisted Bike Ride
Report Part I Here
Report Part II Here
Info on Calmac Network/Scottish Islands
Gavin Robertson Thread

LEJOG 1
19 June to 2 July
Lands End to John O'Groats (to Inverness) Unassisted Bike Ride
Lands End to John O'Groats 2005 Report
Pre-Lejog prep
1. SJR Thread
2. SJR Thread II (Probs)
3. Ray Thread (Arrival)
Pictures
DEAN CARTER (BROTHER)

UPDATE 12 JUN 2009
The paperback of my brother's third book, 'Blood Water' has been released.

Blood Water (paperback) on Amazon for £4.49
Dean's myspace webpage here

The hardback and paperbacks of 'Hunting Season' and 'Hand of the Devil' are still available:

HUNTING SEASON SYNOPSIS
Eight years ago, the Austrian emergency services were called to the scene of a bizarre car accident... two mangled bodies were found in the snow not far from the vehicle, clawed and chewed by a ferocious animal.....
Something unspeakable took Gerontius Mooreís parents from him, leaving him orphaned and alone. Now, that something, is back. Caught up in a terrifying hunt and finding help from an unlikely source, Gerontius must once more flee the clutches of an appalling beast, before it learns its business is unfinished. Full moon or not, the hunt is on.

'Better than Stephen King' ANDY McNAB

HAND OF THE DEVIL SYNOPSIS
When young magazine journalist Ashley Reeves receives an intriguing letter, he leaves his London office in the hope of reporting on an unusual species of insect - the Ganges Red. That evening he arrives on Aries Island and encounters the writer of the letter - Reginald Mather. At first Mather seems no more than an eccentric collector, happy to live in isolation on the island. But when Reeves unearths the horrific truth, he finds himself thrown headlong into a macabre nightmare that quickly spirals out of control. His life is in danger ...and Mather is not his only enemy ...Both gruesome and compelling, chilling and page-turning, this much-anticipated thriller from Dean Vincent Carter will delight older readers.

'Sensational' DAILY EXPRESS
'Set to be [the] next big hit' INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY
'The next Stephen King...' EVENING STANDARD
Last Blog Posts

2011-2012
Been a while
Base Training
Ironman UK, Enduroman

Total topics: 166
Total posts: 1656

IRONMAN AUSTRIA (9:20)
Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:12 pm Daz
IRONMAN AUSTRIA
Time: 9:20:23
Position: 93rd/2450 (16th AG)

This last week has been a bit of a milestone for me and I havnít been too sure what to put on the blog. The 9:20 at Ironman Austria was bang on my prediction, but I know not many expected me to do it. Anyway, here I am with a new PB (by 45mins) and looking forward to a sub9 and latching on to the lower Pro times next year. In hindsight it didnt feel any harder than IMUK, and I know I have a lot more development to come, especially on the bike. So itís all quite exciting. Iíve decided to scrap any ultra plans next year (including the Deca Enduroman) and concentrate solely on Ironman distance.

PRE-RACE
    Not sure I had the best preparation. The holiday in Corfu was nice but it also tired me out, particularly the overnight flight back. After a few days packing I left Bromley with Dan (Martidj) on a 2-day road trip to Austria, with a stop-over at Frankfurt. It required a 3am rise on Wed morning. The second nights sleep Iíd missed in 5 days. When we arrived in Velden (other side of the lake from Klagenfurt) I was shattered. But I made sure I rested up as much as possible the next couple of days. Took lactic acid buffer and wore compression leggings for last couple of nights, which may have helped. Didnít do a lot of training before the event. Just a little bit of lake swimming and a 30min all-out bike around the Velden hills.

On the morning of the race I felt fine and preparation was spot on. The only worry for me was the weather. As some people know Iíve had a lot of problems controlling my bike in side winds since I bought the deep rim Planet X wheels. I had spare 50mm wheels from Iron-Monkey and Redbiker in case it was windy in Klagenfurt. Luckily for me it wasnít so I had the full aero set-up. Met a few club mates and tritalkers leading up to kick-off inc Rob-Q (and gf), Stengun, Caro, Chief Chirpa, Norwegian Wood, RichG (and gf), Towel, Rich Ginn, Mark P and Slacko & Mrs Slacko just before the swim start.

SWIM (1:00:44)
    Decided to scrap my Helix wetsuit in favour of one of Danís spare QRs. The Helix has become far too tight on me over the last year. Met up with Dan again on the beach. As others have mentioned, at the gun we were supposed to wade out to the starting point. But instead everyone continued swimming and the race had actually begun. We probably only lost 1-2mins from this but it involved a lot more effort fighting through.

The first 800m didnt go too badly. At one point I spotted someone in a wetsuit similar to Danís coming up the outside right. I took a look underwater and noticed it was him. I knew heíd be on for a well paced 55-60mins so decided to draft his feet. This seemed to go quite well for the next 800m but between the two turn buoys I got into a 3-way battle for his feet and decided to ease off. On the return trip I found myself stranded in no-mans land between the main group and a couple of speedy swimmers going extremely wide on the right. I couldnt make up my mind who to follow/draft so I swam alone. I donít actually remember much of the canal because of all the battling for space. We could hardly move for flailing limbs.

Finally climbed out in just under 61mins, 5mins slower than I predicted. I was a little slow in the changing tent but sprinted through to bike-mount on 1:04, 4mins behind my prediction.

BIKE (5:01:23)
    As I mentioned before, Iíve had all sorts of problems with my cycling. Last year in IMUK I was so frustrated because I couldnt handle the front (deep rimmed) wheel in the windy conditions. In this race there was no wind at all. I was so excited with this prospect that it might explain my pace for the first 20km of the bike to Velden. Thanks to Epic Cycles (Worcs) I also have a very aerodynamic (but comfy) position on the bike now. So much so that I felt like a midget compared to the other athletes towering over me. I also have quite narrow shoulders and the Dark Destroyerís frame (Conanís hand-me-down) is an aerodynamic monster. So felt great on the flat and up the shorter hills. My descents, cornering and long hills were not so good, but I just put that down to lack of training. A few hours on a gym/tt bike during a general week and one long outdoor bike on the Sunday just doesnít cut the mustard.

A group of around 8 of us had formed during the latter half of the first lap. A right European mixed bag. For the record we were all very well behaved. It was very difficult at times when shifting places, but for a good 60km of cycling we all kept about 8-10m away from each others wheels. That was the best we could do. The draft-busters would drive by many times checking us out but I only heard a whistle once and that was for someone outside the group who crept up behind me.

Got chatting to two of the guys (a French guy called Phillip and a German). At the turn-around I noticed 2:27 on the watch and the German reckoned we were on for sub5. I was quite shocked by this, particularly since Iíd been cycling at a steady pace. The crowds at the turn-around were amazing, as they were around all landmark points. I loved the DJ on the hill and the chasing devils. Very amusing. The hills on the second loop (120km+) took a lot out of my legs. Iíd found it quite comfortable up to this point, but now my legs were starting to feel it. I kept trying to convince myself that each hill would be the last.

For the final 40-50km, particularly on the descents, I started getting sloppy and lose a little concentration, and places. I hadnít been taking a lot of nutrition on board and it was now coming back to haunt me. Forced a few bars and gels down over the last hour and just gritted my teeth. I was now cycling alone and looking forward to getting off the bike. During the last few km I was being hunted down by a pack of cyclists. but I didnít care, I was done. The cat-eye showed 109km (I didnt realise until later that it missed 3km) but I was still happy with a 5:01 bike time.

RUN (3:11:27)
    T2 was uneventful. I took a few secs to stretch, before heading out on to the course, looking for the first portaloo (was very pleased to have held out for the whole bike!). Felt good for the first km, hitting <7:00/M and passing people like they were walking, including a few of the pro females. Then bang!, my back went. Nothing I could do except slow the pace to around 7:30-8:00 and stop for a few stretches. This was very frustrating., but thankfully after 6km and a couple of co-codamol, it eased off and I started to bring the pace back up to 7:00/M. Shouted across to Rob Q and martidj passing the other way just after this point. Both looking strong.

The storms rolled-in on the way back and we were treated to quite a downpour. Didnít effect my running, in fact I found it quite refreshing. The only issue now was nutrition. My stomach was close to empty already, and I was only around 15km in to the run. I find it quite difficult to drink at 7:00/M so wasnít taking a lot on board. I got through the gels around my belt very quickly indeed. Gave Towel a shout as he passed me in the other direction down the canal from Klagenfurt. I was wondering how far ahead he was but I forgot to time-check.

For the first half marathon I was fine. The stomach was starting to grumble but I kept it quiet with the odd beaker of coke. The legs were getting sore and stiff the second time around the lake and it was only the overtaking of other lap2 athletes that was keeping me amused (that sounds cocky, lol)

As I started down the canal towards Klagenfurt I was going through a real bad patch. Dropped the head a little and tried to zone-out and just keep the legs ticking over. I heard Towel shout out ďTough it out Daz!Ē as he came the other way again. I thanked him after for this because it was just what I needed to hear (ďHop hopĒ and ďBravoĒ just didnt do it for me). If I hadnt knuckled-down and kicked-off for the final 8km then I could have been lazy at the aid stations and damaged my finishing time.

Was really excited coming into the last 400m. I passed a friend from Defra (Mark Philo) but had to speed up because I thought I could dip under 9:20. I started to sprint hard....but that was a mistake! One of the calf muscles started cramping up. I wasnt risking full-on cramp so eased back a little. The finishing straight was an experience!

AFTER
    Didnít know how well Iíd done at first. Thought it was the fast course, conditions. Having scrutinised splits and positions I was shocked and pleased to see only the 4 Biritsh Pros and 1 age-grouper beat me. Iíd also managed to just edge Nick Thomas and Declan Doyle.

Disappointed not to get a place for next years race because it def suits me. Iím left with an Ironman outside Europe. But it means Iíll be back to IMUK for 2009.

Was great to see so many TTers during the event. A lot of PBs including Towel (8:52), Martidj (cracking 10:35), Stengun (by 2hours) and everyone else in IronHead (Mr and Mrs CC doing their first so well) and on Tritalk

DOUBLE ENDUROMAN (2/3 AUG)
    Just 2 weeks to go. I'll post another Blog in a week or so, once I can get some decent sleep and get my head around this again. Have a great crew with me so looking forward to it.

REPLIES
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Slacko - good to meet you and Mrs S in Austria
    Windmonkey - many thanks for lending me the wheel. I didnt have to use it but was nice to know it was there.
    Mountaingirl - I was more nervous doing the Sprint than the Ironman. Always want to perform well in front of my parents and relatives.

~   Last edited by Daz on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 pm Angelina
Wow, what a result. That is an amazing time, well done!!!
Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:38 pm putt putt
cracking time! defra obv didnt agree with you.............. Laughing
Triple IM 09, DecaIron (137h- 4th) 09, GUCR 10, 2.46 Mara Apr 11, 9.38 Roth 11, 9.57 IMUK 11 (Q Kona). 2012 - 5th AG nat dua, 9.27 TBW (1st). 2013 Tampa Dble (24.13 - 3rd), Oct Mara 2.49 (1st) 2014 Gin Pit 2.58 (CR)/3.15, AG Gold GB Duo March15 (50-54)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
EVENT HORIZON

See www.dazcarter.com/events

TARGET-FITNESS

I currently coach 25 triathletes, and provide nutritional support/analysis and personal training to any level of athlete. Click logo above for more details.

TRIATHLON COACHING

> Weekly personalised training programme
> Forward-look periodisation plan
> Unlimited emails to your coach
> Supplementary guidance notes
> Discounts and offers from companies

NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS

> Breakdown of micro and macronutrient intake
> Balance of macronutrients
> Correlation of calories consumed:expended (weight-loss planning)
> Report sumarising data, recommendations

Contact targetfitness@hotmail.co.uk for more information
STATS

BESTS TO DATE

IRONMAN
Time - 8:58 (Challenge Roth 2009)
Position - 19th/4th (IMUK 2010)
Swim split - 0:56 (IMUK 2010)
Bike split - 4:46 (Challenge Roth 2009)
Run split - 3:08 (Challenge Roth 2009)

OTHER
Ultra wins - 3
Triathlon wins - 1 Med
Duathlon wins - 1 Sprint
All about Daz

Daz
Occupation: Elite Endurance Athlete (Triathlon, Ultra Trail Running), Coach, Personal Trainer and Consultant
Interests: Endurance Events, Biathlon, Nutrition

Send e-mailSend private message

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.