Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk

Username:

Password:

All about CJBrown

CJBrown
Interests: Competitive (Masters) swimming, triathlon, running, surfing, snowboarding, alternative music

Sweet Week
Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:52 pm CJBrown
After the unexpected 10hrs of sleep last night, I was fresh as a daisy this morning. Rather than plod around doing chores at home, I grabbed the hack bike and took it out for a spin. It does need a bit of attention - the brakes will need replaced soon, it needs a good clean, the gears are a bit sticky, etc - but its still road-worthy, so I decided to make the most of the early Sunday morning quiet roads and the above average weather. Took a quick spin down to Docklands along the Regents Canal. Very pleasant ride, the tow-path was pretty quiet, and I was taking it easy. Round-trip was about 12-15 mi with a bit of a potter about at the far end (must buy bike comp), which was OK for my first longer session. Want to build to 25-30+ mi longer weekend rides quite quickly, and then onwards from there.

Followed that with a quick brunch of kippers (great for those Omega-3s), then midday training with the masters team. Felt great in the water again, main set of free drills and fast-ish swim was just what the doctor ordered. And that was my 12th work-out of the week (5 swim, 5 run, 2 bike), which I really am pretty pleased with. Building on from here should make for a good winter, and a fun spring after that.

Top Day at Herne Hill
Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:24 am CJBrown
Yesterday I took myself down to the public session at Herne Hill Velodrome for the first time. I had meant to get down last weekend, but the crappy weather knocked that one on the head. What can I say - it was kick-ass brilliant. I've done next-to-no cycling recently, and I'm still without a decent road bike, but track riding was just what the doctor ordered. I stayed on for the training session after the novice induction, which was a mixture of club and public riders. What a work-out - it runs from 10-1pm with a short break at about 11:30, but I decided that I'd call it a day at the break - it was only my first day. But I'm definitely going to be adding this into the weekly training schedule from now on - except for next weekend, when I'm off for a weekend of surfing. In a fortnights time I'm going to try and do the whole training session - should be quite a work-out.

The session at Herne Hill was my 10th work-out of the week, which is pretty damn good - this is the sort of level of training that I'm going to have to hit throughout the winter if I'm going to look at a half ironman next year. But I feel great for it, and a shopping trip confirmed the good its doing me - I'm down to a 32" waist, from 34" just a couple of months ago. I've not been a 32" for at least several years! That really made my day (again), and so I celebrated with a cool pair of velvet trousers. And some smart purple shirts that will double as office/going-out wear.

I was going to go out last night, but a quick disco nap turned into a full nights sleep. Now up, awake, and ready to get a dozen things done. A night in was probably just what the doctor ordered. Swimming training at midday, and I need to pick up some bike stuff - I might take a trip down to Decathlon, but there are some local bike shops I'd like to check out too (Holloway Rd/Islington area). Still haven't got the hack bike stripped down and cleaned up, but I've got the whole day to get that done too. Then fireworks tonight on the Thames. I love being up this early at the weekends.

Self control
Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:17 am CJBrown
Well, when I went for a quick run in the gym yesterday I felt extremely stiff and just a bit "off". Probably just the fact that it was the 7th session of the week, but whereas a couple of weeks ago I would have tried to run thru it, I backed right off, and stopped the run after 10 mins. Then did a lot of stretches before hitting the shower. I'm very mindfull of not pushing too hard, despite the fact I really want to get my weekly running distance up.

I guess it paid off, as I felt great this morning in the pool. There were a few people missing, and I was pushed up into the top lane which I led off for a set. That felt good - I knew I'd end up in the top lane, and eventually at the front, but I was expecting that in another months time or so, not 2 weeks into the winter training. Think I'll move up from next week onwards, and keeping pushing myself on in the pool. The fact it was a freestyle drills main set was another bonus. Yardage = 4200.

The weekend looks like it couple shape up nicely, with maybe my first experience of track riding at Herne Hill, and then shopping for a new road bike. I'm also thinking about a longer, slowish run, and looking at getting some structure to my non-swimming training laid out for the next few weeks.

On the non-training side - great gig last night, and should be another good one tonight. Must not drink too much - hangover would be a bad idea tomorrow.

Looking towards the weekend ...
Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:24 am CJBrown
Did another mini-brick in the gym yesterday afternoon. At the moment I'm cooling down after the bike and warming up for the run, but I'm going to work towards a quick switch with minimal "transitions", which should be a lot more realistic.

Training this morning was 4400yds - I'm doing more in the pool than I am running, and as cycling is still confined to the bike at the gym more than that too.

A couple of the running books I'd ordered turned up yesterday (damn slow post), along with Tri 101. I'm going to have to sit down and take a look at what my training schedule is going to be for the next 2 months, and how I can build my running distance up - one of the books has a 16 week build-up to a marathon, which would be a fine timescale for the winter. Hopefully as I get to know more of the guys at TriLondon I'll get some pointers as to training schedules.

The weekend should see me sorting the old bike out, which will become a hack for work, etc, and likely buying a second-hand road bike so I can really get my teeth into cycling training. I've heard good things about ReCycle at Elephant & Castle, so might take a look there - I'd rather have something in my paws this weekend instead of waiting for an eBay purchase to pop-up. Of course, in a paycheque or three I might be looking for a nice set of wheels, which is the main reason I'm holding off buying new right now. If the weather holds a few of us might head down to Herne Hill - we cried off last week - but we shall see. It'd be the right side of town for a trip to ReCycle, and I'd have a couple of gear-heads along with me for the shopping trip.

Week training summary, 5 Sep - 11 sep 2005
Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:22 am CJBrown
I'll include the South Coast in this ...

Sat 3 Sep: South Coast Sprint - should do a proper write up of this, as it was when I lost my triathlon V-plates. Suffice to say that it wasn't as bad as it could have been - swim good, bike pretty terrible, run OK. Did swim without wetsuit, and still came ~12 out of 120 in wave.

Sun 4 Sep: post-race day off

Week goals:
Pretty sore left ankle post-race, so decided to lay off it for most of the week, and concentrate on swimming now that CSC Masters "holiday programme" is finished.

Mon 5 Sep:
Missed morn swim.
Solo swim session afternoon: 3200 m, main set 6x200 FC

Tue 6 Sep:
CSC morning: 3600 yds, main set 5x4x100 FC drills

Wed 7 Sep: day off

Thu 8 Sep:
CSC morning: 4200 yds, main set 2200 IM drills
gym afternoon: very light treadmill workout, 10 mins run + w/u, c/d

Fri 9 Sep:
CSC morning: 4400 yds, main set 3200 IM drills

Sat 10 Sep: day off - helping friend move, so lots of lifting

Sun 11 Sep:
running morning: first time out with flatmate, twice round High Fields, approx 20 mins
CSC midday: 2600 yds, main set 1400 yds FC drills

Week Summary:
Good thing about week was I ended it with ankle feeling a lot better. CSC doing a lot of drill work, as this is start of winter training cycle - the swim team has just had their summer break, after the European Champs.

Next Week Goals:
Run 15-20 mins every day - single sessions only, and not too hard, looking to build ankle strength without hurting it. Swim - target 5 sessions, more if time allows. Bike - fix bike!!! and get out on it. Maybe look at new one, and also maybe drop by Herne Hill for track riding session. Mini-brick sessions in gym if ankle feeling good.

Another day, another early start
Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:02 am CJBrown
The pounding I've giving my body is cretainly helping with my sleep patterns - in bed at 10:15 last night and sound asleep by 10:30. Which meant I was up at 4:30 this morning and was able to have a relaxed brekkie and shave before heading over to the pool. Truncated session, as I had to be in work early today, so a shade less than 3K yds, but I felt very good and was really moving on the sprints - so much so that one of the other guys in the lane commented on it. I like it when that sorta thing happens, its a good boost to your training mentality.

Did a mini-brick in the gym yesterday afternoon - 15 mins bike, 15 mins run. Nice little work-out that, but due to being very carefull with my ankle I'm going to have to hold off increasing the number of reps - it'd be great to do 3 or 4 sets of that. But my ankle is feeling damn good this week, and I'm not pushing past 15 mins run/day whilst it strengthens after being sore. As per the "addicited to exercise" thread yesterday - I'd really, really want to do lots of reps there, but a more sensible head must prevail for now.

Start the week in the pool
Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:12 am CJBrown
Nothing like a 4K swim session to start the week. I almost slept in - its a good deal harder to get yourself out of bed now that the sun isn't around at 5am. But made the session, which was my first with TriLondon. Good standard of swimming, and a serious main set - 2.8K. I felt it quite a bit, especially after doing a run and a swim session yesterday.

Good news is that my ankle feels way better than last week. Keeping off it seems to have helped a lot, so I'm going to build on my run work-outs slowly and steadily. Other thing for this week is to get my bike stripped right down for a good clean - I gace it a mini service before the South Coast tri, but it could do with a proper one.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next 
2008 planned meets and events

Here we go again - time to get qualifying times for the big event, the FINA World Masters Swim Champs in Perth, Oz. Meet is in April, with qualifying times to be done by 23 March. I've several meets lined up, and I'm entering 200m, 400m and 800m if I make the grade, along with the 3K OW swim. Fewer events than last time, but the 100m and 50m aren't going to do anything for me - I don't place well in the UK in those, let alone against giant Aussies and Kiwis. Hoping for at least one Top 20 finish in the event tho', despite broken training.

After April, aim is to ramp up running and cycling for a crack at some Oly distance events later in the year.

Meets
Rotherham Open, Sheffiled Pond's Forge (50m)
Feb 10th
100m, 200m, 400m FC

Silver in the 400, qualifying times in all 3 (100, 200 and 400). The 400 was the best swim, 5:16, lot slower than 2 yrs ago but good first race back

Isle of Wight (25m pool)
Feb 23-24th
prob 1500m, 800m, 400m

Had to scratch, as g/f was moving into the flat she just bought

Welsh Open, Swansea (50m)
early March
prob 1500m, 800m, 400m plus several others (3 day meet)

Pretty good meet, took 2 golds, 3 silvers and a bronze. Best swim was the 800m, less than 10 sec behind my best time of 2 yrs ago in full time training, but only got bronze. Huge motivator for sticking with the distance training

World Masters Championships
Perth, Aus
18-26 April
200, 400, 800m FC; 3K O/W.

4 PBs from 4 swims; the 400m and 800m were both second best times since coming out of retirement, the 3K was the fastest O/W swim (on avg 100m pace) I've done ever. Placings: 200=26th; 400=20th; 800=23rd; 3K=23rd. Very happy with results

Next up:

GB Swim Nationals: June

Regents Park 10K series: July onwards.
My Events and Results in 2006

I thought I'd really go for it in Tri this year, but I've now had second thoughts, and I'm going to be concentrating on the swimming - and why not, as I'm unlikely to get any podium finishes in AG Tri this year, but I might in swimming.

Jan:
28th-29th, London Region Masters:
50, 100, 200, 400m FC
200 BR, 200 IM
aiming for World Champs qualifying times in all the FC events

Results: Got the qualifying times I needed on all the freestyle events. Just outside on the 200 BR and 200 IM. Should now be on for 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 FC in the Worlds, plus the 3K o/w.

Feb:
12th, Wokingham Half-Marathon
after messing up Bedford, this will be my first 13 mile run

Results: Thank you South West trains. Another missed race. Great.

17th-18th, Isle of Wight Masters:
100, 200, 400, 800 FC

Results: Had to withdraw, as very, very sick with nasty cold/chest infection. Really gutted.

Mar:
3rd-5th, Welsh Open Masters Champs:
100, 200, 400, 1500 FC
My next big pop at 1500m - hoping to make up for last time

Results: Well, I was still sick for the meet - was on anti-biotics - but I did extremely well all-in-all. 10 events, 10 medals, inc. two golds - one in the relay, and one individual - the 400 Ind Medly. I was beaten into silver 4 times, three times in big events of mine - 1500 FC, 800 FC and 200 IM - all of which I was beaten by international swimmers, being the top UK person (the problem with Open meets). Very pleased with results, all things considered.

Jun:
Thinking about doing Windsor.
but only if I'm sure I can do it without messing myself up for the next weekend, which is ...

16th-18th, GB National Masters Champs:
tbd - but definitely the 1500 and 400 FC

Results: First National medal! 3rd in 800 Free, 4th in 1500 & 400 Free. 4 PBs out of 5 events; top meet and quality swims. Very encouraging.

25th, GB Masters Open Water 3K Champs:
Last minute entry to this one

Results: Fourther overall, third British swimmer and 2nd in the 35-39 age-group. 45:07 for the 3K, not a bad time for my first OW race.

Jul:
No longer thinking about IMCH - maybe next year

Aug:
3rd-11th, FINA World Masters Champs:
100, 200, 400, 800 FC; 3 Km O/W
No 1500 sadly - but (maybe) my first big O/W race

Ooops, forgot to update this! Placed 19th in the 3K event, and top 40 in the 800m. Not bad for my first World Champs Smile
Weekly Training Scedule, Q3 2005

Monday:
am: Swimming, 6-7.30, TriLondon
afternoon: endurance spinning
eve: lectures

Tuesday:
am: Swimming, 6-7.30 CSC Masters
afternoon:
eve: bike or run

Wednesday:
day off

Thursday:
afternoon: bike or run
eve: lectures

Friday:
afternoon:
evening:

Saturday:
am: TriLondon running drills
next month: bike run/track

Sunday:
am: TriLondon Bike run
afternoon: Swim, 12-1 CSC Masters
CJ's Events 2005

Worthing Aquathlon 2
16 Aug 05

Clash of the Tritons
20 Aug 05

South Coast Sprint
3 Sep 05

Regents Park 10K
2 Oct 05
44:24

Nike 10K
16 Oct 05
44:22

Regents Park 10K
6 Nov 05
45:17 oops - thats what happens when you run with a serious hangover

Barnet Masters 1500 Free
26 Nov 05

Nike 5K, Crystal Palace
27 Nov 05

Regents Park 10K
4 Dec 05

Bedford Half Marathon
11 Dec 05

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.