Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk

2016 - Raid Pyrenean
Cobbie's Selected Race Results

2010 Races

Sep 6th - Ö TILL Ö; 14:19; Report

March - Jurassic Coast Challenge; DNF after 13 miles on day 2...glute injury picked up due to excessive mud Mad

2009 Races

Nov - Pembrokeshire Coast Challenge; 78.6 miles. Day 1 - 5th in 4:39. Very Happy Day 2 - Retired with ITB injury after 15 miles Sad

Oct 4th - Sandstone Trail 'A' Race; 17 miles, 1750ft 2:19:15; 29/156

Aug 8th - Norseman 14:57; 81=/230 Report No1 & Report No2 Smile

June 28th - A Day in the Lakes HIM 5:55:18; 68/309 Report

June 17th - Dee Mile, 2000m OW swim. 29:12; 13/100 Report Very Happy

May 31st - Pontcysyllte Aqueduct Cyclosportif 107 miles, 3000+m ascent; 7:20:26

March 28th Cheshire Cat Cyclosportif 105 miles; 7:04 Report

March 21st - Chester Tri Runners vs Kayaks; Llangollen Canal 32.4 miles; 5:22 Report

2008 Races
The year I was a fat bast@rd Rolling Eyes

Atlantic Coast Challenge 78miles; About 18 hrs Report

Norseman 17:05 Report

Etape du Dales 110 miles; 8:40ish with puncture

2007 Races

Nov 17th - Penmaenmawr Fell Race (11 miles, 1500ft); 1:35:23; 50/220

Bala Olympic Tri 2:14:00; 217/773 (AG 61/203) Smile Report

Hathersage Hilly - 1:22:34; 19/169 and AG 4/43 Smile ; Report

July 11th - Dee Mile, 2000m OW swim. 23:16; 15/76 Smile

April 29th - Three Peaks Fell Race (24 miles, 4500ft); DNF Sad

Feb 4th - Leg of Pennine Bridleway Relay Stages 4 & 5

Jan 29th - Tough Guy 1:25:02; 59/3800ish finishers Very Happy Very Happy AG 5th Vet Shocked Very Happy ; Report

Jan 22nd - 4 Villages Half Marathon 86:52; 152/1570

Nov 18th - Penmaenmawr Fell Race (11 miles, 1500ft); 1:31:42; 24/237; Report Very Happy Very Happy

Oct 8th - Pentland Skyline (16.2 miles, 6,200ft); 3:30:54; 79/150; Report. Blisters Crying or Very sad

Oct 1st - Sandstone Trail “A” Race (17 miles, 1750ft) 2:15:14; 14/135 3rd V40; Report Very Happy Very Happy

Sept 24th – South Shropshire Sprint 1:23; 28/234

August - Bob Graham Round Two unsuccessful unsupported attempts; got lost on the first and asthma on the second Crying or Very sad

July 23rd - TLD Bike Relay 5:52:38; Report

June 7th - Dee Mile, 2000m OW swim. 28:47; 24/97 Smile

June 4th - Bala Middle 4:47:39 Crying or Very sad

May 7th - Fred Whitton Challenge 112 miles, 4,150m of ascent, 8:18:52; Report

March 19th - Edale Skyline Fell Race 21.3 miles, 4,620ft; 3:48:25, 100/260

Feb 5th - Leg of Pennine Bridleway Relay Stage 2 - 13.3 miles, 1560ft; 1:42:08

Jan 29th - Tough Guy 92:55; 52/3283 finishers Very Happy Very Happy AG 6/521; Report

Jan 22nd - 4 Villages Half Marathon 85:43; 152/1655 Very Happy

Oct 30th - Snowdonia Marathon 3:54:50; 265/961

Oct 2nd - Sandstone Trail “A” Race (16.8 miles, 1750ft) 2:17:41; 29/111 Very Happy

Sep 18th - Bala Olympic Tri 2:20:31; 83/433 (AG 17/100) Very Happy

Sep 10th - Helvellyn Tri 4:17:38; 43/331
Report Very Happy Very Happy

July 24th - The Longest Day 11:00:25; 40/150

June 5th - Bala Middle 4:39:54; 92/318 (AG 25/87)
Very Happy

Mar 15th - Wuthering Hike [31 miles 4400 ft] 5:35 Smile

Jan 29th - Tough Guy 93:49; 161/3,500 Very Happy

Jan 22nd - 4 Villages half marathon 90:39; 256/1504

Survival of the Shawangunks - 5:29:45 35/120 Very Happy
Wolverhampton Oly 2:19:50 Very Happy

The year of illness and poor motivation Crying or Very sad
Powerman UK 3:47

HIM Llanberis 5:09:40 Very Happy Very Happy

HIM Llanberis 5:38
All about Cobbie

Cobbie
Interests: Red wine and cakes

Cheshire Cat Sportif
Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:06 am Cobbie
Had a great ride yesterday at the Cheshire Cat. If cycling was always this good then I think I’d like it a lot more but it always takes up so much time and is such hard work…perhaps I’m finally getting used to the hard work part of the equation Rolling Eyes . Anyway, best to go back to the beginning and a quick summary of last week:

Mon, Tues, Weds – Rest days. I found I really needed – I had 4 days off in all, although the first three were spent having a good time with my family down south. My quads and calves were very stiff, not surprising really but worse than I’d expected based on previous experience. So, I did a lot of stretching but no exercise.
I had planned to do something on the Wednesday but Lynn was due to start her new job the next day so we had a quiet day together.

I had also been suffering some pain from my left big toe which I stubbed very heavily on the canal run (those of a sensitive disposition may wish to move on to the next paragraph here). Some probing with a needle revealed a lot of ‘fluid’ under the nail so I guess it was the equivalent of a blister. It seems to have healed now so with a bit of luck the nail won’t fall off (again Rolling Eyes )

Thurs – I’d had my new 38 tooth front chainring fitted so just did a quick 18 miles to check everything was shifting smoothly.

Fri – Was time to go running again. Was still feeling the effects of the canal run but decided to get out for my 8 mile tempo run and not worry about the pace too much. After a tough first couple of miles, everything seemed to click into place and found myself running smoothly. In the end was only 30s slower than 2 weeks ago, probably accounted for by very windy conditions. Happy with that and finally felt recovered from the canal run.
The club swim in the evening was my first for 10 days but went OK. Was swimming 100m in 90s, 50m in 45s – felt better as the set went on

Sat –Another club swim in the afternoon, just did an hour with the sportif the next day. Again felt pretty good, doing 6 x 100 yards in 1:24 or less off 1:55.

Sun – So, Cheshire Cat which I’d been told was quite straightforward… “a couple of steep climbs but nothing else to worry about”. As it turned out the route had been made a lot harder than it was in 2008. Thankfully I set off at a conservative pace, aiming for 180-200W consistently for the 102 miles, aiming to mimic what I thought I could hold for the duration and knowing that I’d get close if not.
The first half of the event is pretty flat, winding south from the start in Knutsford through Cheshire towns and villages, very pastoral and pretty. The biggest problem was trying to avoid the groups many of whom seemed committed to going off too fast. It was interesting to see how these groups sped up and slowed down, I guess depending on who was at the front, and of course as soon as a hill appeared they all sprinted off, only for me to catch back up as they recovered afterwards. I guessed that some of these were in for a tough day and really noticed that as I moved forward through the field that the standard of rider got higher (I’d started 15 mins after the earliest riders so not that many to catch).
I’d started with Matt and his OH Julie but she got separated early and then he waited so I pootled off alone. Got caught by several sets of lights but got through the first couple of hours at 17mph despite the hold ups, having done my best to avoid drafting (though not always possible). The first significant climb came along after about 50 miles and there was another ascent along a lane covered in sh1t before the big climb up Mow Cop at 60 miles which is said to be 25% or more at its steepest. You can see it coming form a way off as it’s after about half a mile of open climbing and it really is stupidly steep for about 300m. I got ¾ of the way up the steep bit and decided it was too much like hard work; even with less than 100m to go I knew it was going to knacker me for some time so if I persevered, so I got off and pushed the last bit (no chance of restarting until the gradient eased). This tactic not only made life a bit easier but I then passed loads of people who needed a rest.
After that the day got a lot harder, the organisers had really gone to town adding in climb after climb so that between 50 and 95 miles there was the best part of 2000m of ascent – I would say this section was more consistently hard than anything on the Etape du Dales to give you a comparison - these weren’t girly climbs but pretty stiff work, lots of time in the 27 and occasionally out of the saddle. When we did get descents, they tended to have tight bends and no runoff so not able to claw back any time before the next climb. I lasted pretty well until 85 miles, only getting off at an icy patch on the last section through Macclesfield Forest. It was hard work but made up for by the views which were stupendous as we pedalled along the Cheshire / Staffordshire border.
I started to tire noticeably after 85 miles but was still able to keep up a fair pace. I’m a lot stronger now I guess and have done a fair few long rides already this year. The only complaint I would have about the event was a cobbled hill at 95 miles.

My bike was slipping all over the place so once past the photographer I got off. Annoyingly, I discovered later that the climb could have been avoided completely by just carrying on, my view was that it added nothing to the route and was out of character with the rest of the ride – views seemed to be divided but I would miss it out if I did the course again.
At least from here we were closing in on the finish. One of my clubmates, Dom, caught me just before the end and we had a moment of friendly banter (“take that Norseman sticker off your bike you posing git”) before I nearly lost it on the last steep descent. There was a right turn near the bottom and I’d just started to move over when a car appeared. I’ve no idea how I stayed upright, I thought in turn that I was going to plough straight into the car, then that I was going to slide into the car and finally that I was going to hit it side on. Amazingly, none of these things happened as I regained control and I got my first complimentary comment ever from a roadie just behind (“well held”). My heart was going 10 to the dozen after that so I was relieved to be only a couple of miles from the end. Turned out it was 105 miles all told, 7:04 total time, 6:58 riding time, 2225m ascent and a full Norseman’s worth of effort. Very pleased with that.

Overall, just shy of 11hrs despite 3 rest days, mostly cycling. With the weather looking so good, I’m going to look to do my threshold bike work at least partly on the road next week and do my first interval runs for two years - yikes OMFG

Just to finish off, a couple of snaps from the Canal run last weekend.

Team photo before the start

Exiting the Chirk tunnel

Coming in to the finish looking somewhat dazed.

Replies
Savaloy – I should have realised that the course was long when I reached the turn-around point of my recce of that section but was too mentally tired to concentrate on anything except keeping going
LynneE, Sue, hammerer, Carlito, Slacko, Carl J, Paul L – Thanks, it’s always nice when you don’t have to tough it out but perversely satisfying when you do

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 am Poet
Pretty nice around Chesh and Staffs 'eh? That ride looked bonkers! I must try it sometime...though the Cat'n'Fiddle is bad enough Sad
Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm Gus
Wow, fantastic effort. That's a lot of climbing over a very long course... and nothing wrong with keeping that Norseman sticker on the bike, you earned it!

Interesting to see that keeping a lower, constant pace reaps rewards over racing ahead, then resting etc.

My 15 minutes of fame

Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:29 pm Slacko
Another great effort! Cool

Well held!! Very Happy

Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:36 pm hammerer
Sounds like a very enjoyable ride. A tough couple of weeks for you Cool

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:24 pm Sue
nice pics as usual Cool
what cobbie not liking cobbles Shocked ouch, bet they were uncomfy Sad but good event

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.