Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
All about JesseD

JesseD

OCT TOTALS

SWIM - 0 METRES
BIKE - 135 MILES
RUN - 19.95 MILES

Username:

Password:

Still Ill
Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:38 pm JesseD
I have managed a couple of short rides, but still do not feel like running at all.

Fingers crossed I'll get better by Monday as that's when I start my new job.

Blog Blog Blog Blog

It's not going well!
Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:20 am JesseD
I took voluntary redundancy at my old job and finshed work on the 16.10.09 with the intention of having 2 weeks of solid training before starting my new job, I was all charged up and ready for it as well, my mojo was at 110%. I went training on the Saturday morning with the club and loved every minute, I felt good and started to see some fitness returning, then bang, Sunday morning I fell ill, with a cold and a chest infection. Now 9 days on I am still feeling pretty ropey!

I have managed some training sessions, but they have been few and far between. All sessions have been on the bike, wrapped up in full winter gear to keep warm. All sessions have been flat too as, as soon as I go up hill my breathing goes to pot and i reaaly struggle. I am going to try and run today but if I continue to feel this bad I am off to the doctors for some antibiotics. I need to start training again and I need to be well as I start my new job on the 02.11.09!

Weightloss isn't going well either, I am bored at home so tend to eat more, I feel like a beached whale at the moment, in reality I am probably about the same weight, but as I feel ill and unfit I also feel like a sumo!

Fingers crossed I will get this illness licked before the end of the week, then back to some sort of normality.

Cheers all.

JD

Replies

Wheezy - I had planned to do 1 speed session a week, whether on the road or treadmill, but at the moment I would settle for just being able to run!

Blog Blog Blog Blog

You have to start somewhere.
Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:54 am JesseD
Well training has been going ok, I still struggle with motivation to go running, but find it easier to get out than I used to. This I think is down to the fact that I am only trying to run 5 or 6km every time I go out instead of longer distances. I am really looking forward to racing a year of sprints next year, and as the training doesnt take over your life like IM training would, I am finding it easier to balance work and home life with the training (though this will probably change when the season starts to get closer and I get fired up more to race properly).

As swimming is the discipline I find the easiest to make improvements in, I have not been in the pool as of yet, I may do a couple of sessions before Christmas but I reckon that even though I havent swam in over 12 months I would be good for a sub 7:30min 400m, my plan is to get this to about 5:30 by the start of next season. I plan to do this by swimming twice a week and mixing up my sets. I think a 1 hour session twice a week will be fine to get me to this level, after all swimming is mostly about technique, once you have that then the rest comes along pretty quickly.

The bike is going ok, I am only cycling twice a week at the moment, once on a Saturday with the club and then on my own on a Saturday, so all in all about 70-80 miles. The ride on a Saturday is good as it forces me to climb and being one of the worst climbers around, and being competitive I am pushed into trying to stay with the group on every climb, I always get dropped but I figure that its only a matter of time before I can hang on the back of the group. On the flats though its a different story I am happy to sit on the front and pull the group along. Now this sounds more impressive than it is as I ride with the medium paced group which averages about 16-18 mph on a ride, but my goal is to move to the fast group by Feb of next year (my climbing will have to improve in order for me to do that). Sundays can be anything for me depending on mood, sometimes I am happy to climb and will do a hilly route, other times I chose an undulating route and basically time trail around it, keeping my average speed as high as I can. As I am only riding twice a week, these sessions are all about quality and making sure I work hard.

At the moment I am running 2-3 times a week for about 6km each time, last night I went out and did a 7km run in about 37 minutes (ok pretty slow) but I felt good for most of it and only slowed significantly for the last 2km. I am planning on joining a running club and think I may have found one which will suit me for location and time, I am never going to be a great runner, but I do think that an 18 min 5km is in my grasp by next year. Octobers 5km time is 26:57, so I have some work to do here but as I lose weight and if I can consistently run 2-3 times a week I should see this improve dramatically, especially if I run with others who are better than me.

So goals for the beginning of next season are:

400m Swim 5:30 minutes
20km Bike 29 minutes
5km Run 18 minutes.

OTHER NEWS

I start a new job in a couple of weeks and leave my current job on the 16th of October (WOOHOO W00t ), I have 2 weeks off work and I plan to train everyday! The new job will be challenging and will certainly mean that my training sessions will have to be meaningful as time will initially be in short supply, however, the new company has showers on site and is a 45 mile drive away from home, this means that in the spring/summer months when the days are a little longer I can drive in one day and cycle home and then cycle back in the following day and drive home (its all in the planning). The location of my new work place is good as well as the Cotswold water park is only 15 minutes drive away as well (early morning OW swim session in the summer here I come).

I am also building a race bike on a budget for next year, all parts will be cheaply sourced whether new or second hand. So far I have bought a pair of wheels and some tubs! Now I have never used tubs before but I am expecting great things, the only issue I will have is when they puncture, how the hell to you repair a tub???? I got a good deal on the wheels, and they will hopefully be fast.

Here they are:

And lastly I had a crap week for dieting but still lost 2lbs in weight, time to take this a bit more seriously I think. I want to be 15 and a half stone by the end of the month, there I have said it, there's no going back on it now.

REPLIES:

Bluepoolshark I know what you mean, I would love to do an IM but I doubt my body would let me at the moment and time wise my OH would crucify me for being increasing the training again. Plus, I am not exactly built for distance, speed is more my thing.

Edlcsre If you fancy, we could set ourselves a little competition and post 5km run times and 10 miles bike times each month and see who improves the most. I am going to try and set a 10 mile bike time next week, I am hoping for a sub 25 minutes but well see.

Sooooooooz 10 sprints is a year, wow that must have been 2 a month or so, where is the country are you, Im in Bristol and want to try and stay local, unless there are any really good ones to do around the country. Any recommendations?

Rob G Yep weight loss is the key I think, I just got to stop drinking wine every night and eat less carbs and more veg (easier said than done)

Gazzer1uk We all have to start somewhere, I really struggle with the running, because its weight bearing I think, I am certain that the more I lose the faster I will become, I had a crap week last week for dieting but managed to train 5 days out of 7 and still lost 2lbs in weight, thats motivation to take it more seriously right there! Good luck and if I can lend advice in anyway let me know.

Till next time friends.

JesseD

Blog Blog Blog Blog

Here we go again!
Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 am JesseD
Well after much deliberation I have decided to try and blog again. I have scaled down my ambitions of doing an IM race next year as I don't think I will have the time to dedicate to the training. Instead I am going to do a season of sprint tri's instead, I will be able to manage the training along side work and personal life I think and I actually enjoy sprint tri's as they suit my strengths better.

So this got me thinking about where my fitness levels are at the moment. I have never been a strong runner but I am ok on the bike and confident in the water. In order to find out where I am at the moment, on Friday I ran 5km outdoors on a flat course and timed it, needless to say it was bad, however it was faster than I thought it would be. I managed 26:57 for 5km (measured on mapmyride.com), so now I have something to aim for! Ideally I would like my 5km time to be approx 18 minutes by the start of next season, but I don't know how realistic that is (probably totally unrealistic) but at least I know where I am and have something to aim for.

I am actually quite strong on the bike when the road is flat or gently undulating, it's only when the roads go up that I slip of the back of group rides, this is mainly down to my weight. I weighed myself this morning and I am dead on 16 stone which is a lot for someone who is a shade under 6ft. I have a target weight of 13 stone by the start of next season which is a tall order but not unachievable. I figure that if the weight comes off then my run and ride times will improve as I won't be carrying around an extra 3 stone (or 19 bags of sugar to visualise it for you).

I am going to map out a 10 mile TT this month as well and ride it as hard as I can to get an idea of what my bike time is, I am hoping for about 25-26 minutes but well see. My goal for next year is to be down at about 21-22 minutes for 10 miles.

Swimming is going to wait for now, I will probably start in the pool in about January, and will initially do about 3 sessions a week to get myself to a decent level and then 2 sessions a week to maintain. At my fastest I could knock out 400m in about 5:30ish so if I get close to that Ill be happy, but as swimming is the shortest discipline then I am not going to lose sleep over it (or too much time in a race).

I plan on doing 1 race a month for next season, all local and all sprints (+ the Dragon ride as I enjoyed it massively this year), my goal if all goes well is to finish in the top 10 in at least 1 race, I would love to win but that is a bit unrealistic for my 1st season back.

This blog will be about my training and setting goals and hopefully achieving them, all comments and advice will be most welcome.

Thanks all.

JesseD

Blog Blog Blog Blog

WATCH THIS SPACE
Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 am JesseD
I have decided to revamp my blog, a new start if you will!

The old blog was very stop start (like my training) and this time round I want to get it right.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Blog Blog Blog Blog

WEIGHT WATCHERS

05/10/09 - 16st 0lb
12/10/09 - 15st 12lb
19/10/09 -
26/10/09 -
02/11/09 -
400 M SWIM TIMES

JAN -
FEB -
MAR -
APR -
10 MILE BIKE TIMES

OCT -
NOV -
DEC -
JAN -
FEB -
MAR -
APR -
5 KM RUN TIMES

OCT - 26:57
NOV -
DEC -
JAN -
FEB -
MAR -
APR -

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.