Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
"Race" Calendar 2016

26/06 - Gladiator
"Race" Calendar 2015

28/06 - Wimbleball 70.3
26/07 - Outlaw
31/08 - Thames Turbo
13/09 - Weymouth
Race Calendar 2014

15/03 - Abu Dhabi LD
06/04 - IM South Africa
27/04 - Joey Hannan
10/05 - Mallorca 70.3
28/06 - HOTW Kilkee
20/07 - Hillingdon
27/07 - Bedford
03/08 - London Oly +
17/08 - Monster Middle
01/09 - ITU Edmonton
07/09 - Mont Trem 70.3
05/10 - IM Barcelona
Race Calendar 2013

02/03 - Abu Dhabi LD
19/05 - Barcelona Half
26/05 - Lough Cutra
15/06 - South Cerney
07/07 - IM Frankfurt
28/07 - London Triathlon
11/08 - Wiesbaden 70.3
08/09 - Valencia
11/09 - ITU Aquathlon
15/09 - ITU WC London
12/10 - Kona
Calendar 09 - 2017

<  Sep, 2017   >
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Last Forum Post

[ Find all posts by savaloy ]
[ Last Post ]
Last Blog Posts

Some thoughts post Wimbleball & Outlaw
Bastion Triathlon 2015 - Free Entry - Competition Details
A new chapter
Barcelona
Ironman 70.3 Championnat Du Monde - Mont Tremblant 07/09/14
ITU World Age Group Championships Edmonton 01/09/14
Monster Middle 17/08/2014

Total topics: 269
Total posts: 2550

Ironman 70.3 Championnat Du Monde - Mont Tremblant 07/09/14
Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:16 pm savaloy
So race two of my trip to Canada, the 70.3 worlds. Truth be told, I was less bullish about this race than Edmonton. Having not made the podium at Edmonton, my view was that it was unlikely for me to make the top 3 in my age group here. In many ways that was a blessing as it took the pressure off and enabled me to enjoy the trip more and I went into the race without any stress about the outcome - what would be would be Smile

I flew out from Edmonton to Ottawa on the Tuesday and drove the short journey up to Mont Tremblant. The first thing that struck me was how picturesque and scenic Quebec is. The second thing was how un-americanised it felt. Whilst the French natives shuddered at Quebec's attempt at their language, with my limited linguistic skills it added to the cultural experience
Wink

The accommodation I secured was in a ski resort at the run turn and offered a good self catering base for me, Team Freespeed teammate, Jamie, and Robert Q the proud new owner of a Cottage of Wattage Manshed. Good house mates who helped alleviate a mild sense of homesickness on account of the length of time away from home. Don't get me wrong, I love racing and it's a privilege to be able to travel to some fantastic race destinations, but I've found more recently that the races that involve cross Atlantic travel have taken their toll.

On the Wednesday I got to recce the long loop of the bike course with Roger Barr and Jane Hanson, as well as running the out back between the lake and the run turn. I liked what I saw. Lumpy, yes, but not technical and less daunting than the profiles suggested. The Thursday I got to recce the short loop with Roger, Jane, Matthieu (of Black Line London) and Jamie as well as a non wetsuit swim of the course. The short/back end of the bike loop was a bit punchier than the long/first loop, and my view was that I would need to treat that part of the bike course with respect if I wanted to put in a half decent run on a testing run course. Friday was a relaxed day, Saturday a quick splash, spin, dash and rack and I was all a set to go on Sunday.

Race morning was a bit misty/chilly, but by the time my wave was ready (circa 36 minutes after the pro's), the mist had burnt off and the sun was out. A beach start, followed by an accompanied swim for the first 100 metres and then I had a solo swim making my way through the preceding ladies wave (3 minutes before) and breaking through the M40's who had gone off 6 minutes before me. Exiting 1st M45 in 24 something and, for me, a good run into and through T1 and onto the bike.

The first part of the bike course was congested with a narrow lane and it wasn't until I reached the main drag/carriageway where I could start to get to work. I felt pretty strong without having to work too hard, keeping an eye out for M45 numbers, of which I didn't see any until about 60k. Although there were a few biggish packs, I would suggest in the M40, M35 and M30 waves, it didn't bother me. I had a clear conscience and was thankfully strong enough to ride through them without wasting energy on letting it affect my race. By the time I got to the smaller punchier loop, two M45's had passed me, but not too much of a faster pace so I was able to keep them in sight. As planned, I soft peddled the last 20k and, by my reckoning, I hit T2 in 4th (it later transpired I hit T2 in 5th) with a 2:19 bike split which I was happy I with.

Onto the run and the objective was run an efficient 1st lap. To my surprise I passed two of the three that had passed me in the early stages of the run. So (by my reckoning) I was in 2nd (this wasn't correct as a post race mortem indicated that I was joined in T2 by 5 M45's who I hadn't accounted for). At the 10k Mark I then passed who I thought was the leader which gave me a big lift. Apart from a steep hill in town, I was managing to hold just over 4 minute K's and was feeling ok at that pace. My comfort was relatively short lived as I was passed at the 11k by the central winner who went on to put 4 minutes into me on the second lap on his way to a 1:18 run split Embarassed

Although I wasn't passed by any more M45, it appears that I'd missed the 5 in T2 - the difference between mine and their finish times was represented by the difference in our run splits. So I finished 7th and a low 1:27 for a n accurate 21k. Looking at heart rate data post race I know that I was running at my threshold and that I was red lining on the second lap. Therefore whilst I was initially disappointed to discover I was 7th and not 2nd, knowing that I'd put in the best performance that I could have on the day leaves me more than content with my race. In fact, although further away from the podium (although there were 5 at the 70.3 worlds) than at Edmonton, I'm happier with my race. I tweeted shortly after that it was my best performance of 2014 and leaves me confident that I can back it up. As a result, I've decided to extend my season and put in one more race before hanging up my Lycra and enjoying some downtime - so, next stop, Barcelona on 5th October, a course and venue I know well, although I've not actually done this particular race Twisted Evil My objective there will be very much process driven and seeing whether I can race long course off short course training - time will tell Exclamation

ITU World Age Group Championships Edmonton 01/09/14
Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm savaloy
My original plan for this season was to target the three world championship races over three distances, starting with Olympic in Edmonton, then 70.3 in Mont Tremblant and finally Ironman in Kona. After South Africa, my plans changed and the main targets were the two Canadian races and no Kona. Sitting here reflecting on my plans on the eve of my 70.3 race, I'm actually pleased that I won't be racing Kona this year as, although I'm enjoying my trip to Canada, I wouldn't want to be away from home for another long trip so soon after this one.

As far as the race is concerned, whilst I'd have liked to have been writing this report as World Age Group Champion, 4th was a fair result on the day and I have no complaints. I also enjoyed the race and being in the hunt for the podium, even though I returned empty handed.

The swim was a two lap affair in a man made chlorinated lake and was relatively uneventful. I stopped to de-mist my goggles after the first buoy and found myself in 2nd coming out the water about 30 seconds down on an Icelandic fella, with a Gibraltan and Mexican fella shortly behind me.

Onto the bike, another two lapper, and it was a case of yo-yoing with the Gibraltan and Mexican for the 1st lap, overtaking the Icelandic guy on the second climb. Each lap comprised 4 out/back type legs, one short sharp climb, one longer drag and some other kicks. The road surface was good in parts, not so good in others. On the 2nd lap, I lost ground on the other two guys who were better technically than me, but, at that stage, I believed that I could run them down. I was also conscious that a US athlete, Doug Clark, who I knew was a strong bike/runner was likely to be not too far behind.

When I got to T2, I saw that I was about a minute down on 1 and 2 and that Doug was about 30 second behind me in 4th. I knew at that stage that I would need to run well to be on the podium. The run course was another 2 lap deal, with circa 3 of the 5k off road on compact trails with a light dusting of sand/fine gravel. I think the off road section resulted in relatively slow run times across the board. So although my run split was a couple of minutes down on where I believed my current form is, this was the story across the board. As I expected, Doug caught me for 3rd about 1k into the run. I tried to tuck in, but that proved fruitless and my focus then was to keep efficient and see whether I could catch the front two. In the end it wasn't to be and although Doug caught the Mexican, the Gibraltan held on for 1st and both of them actually put time into me.

So, like last year, 4th. However, unlike last year, at least this race involved a full swim AND had all of my age group racing in the same wave. In terms of performance, I have no complaints about my swim and bike. Yes, perhaps, I could have biked harder, but I think this would have impacted my run. I therefore don't believe that pushing the bike harder would have given me a better placing. The reality is my run is not as strong as it was this time last year. Maybe if I'd been closer to the front two I'd have dug deeper, but I wasn't, so c'est la vie as they say in Quebec Wink

Next up, Mont Tremblant and the Ironman 70.3 World Championships, which looks like its going to be EPIC! The setting for the race is simply stunning. Having raced the previous 70.3 World Championship venues at Clearwater and Las Vegas, this is by far the best course. The bike course, although hilly with a few short punchy climbs at the back end, looks like a power course with mainly non technical long drags and descents which can be ridden on the aero bars. I predict some fast times from the big uber bikers amongst the PRO's. The run course looks unrelenting, with no flat of note. My prediction is that it will turn into an attritional slinging match with the strongest athletes coming out on top. BRING IT ON Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Monster Middle 17/08/2014
Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:03 pm savaloy
Originally I was planning on finding a 50 or 100 time trial for the weekend of 16th/17th in order to get a good hit out. However, when the calendar threw up the ECCA 12 hour time trial (and after investigating the effect that a 12hr time trial could have on the body :oops ), I focussed my attention on a suitable triathlon to fill the gap.

One of the main attractions of the Monster Middle was the bike course, such that it provided the opportunity of getting a solid hit out devoid of technical shenanigans. With the added bonus of a swim before and a run afterwards, made it a good prep race ahead of my races in Edmonton and MT on 1st and 7th September.

Logistically, the race was easy too and I was able to park up after a stress free journey to Ely just after 5:30 ahead of a 7am start. My race strategy was pretty simple, swim hard, bike hard and then see how long it took for Sam to catch me on the run Wink

The swim was a pretty pleasant affair in the River Ouse, mostly against the current. Sam and Lucy Gossage's housemate, Tom Vickery, led off for the 1st 100 metres before my diesel engine kicked in and I was able to build a bit of a lead into T1.

Onto the bike and the first thing I noticed was the wind. Although the bike course was flat, it was also exposed, which made for a combination of super fast bits, stem chewing bits and some cross wind fun. The first lap was pretty uneventful and I went through 40k just over the hour. The second lap had the added fun of some light rain and was more eventful. I managed to avoid loosing my back wheel going into a corner, but coming off the brakes and righting myself in the process meant I took a diversion into some long grass - thankfully the bike came to a slow halt as I broke into a judo type forward roll over the handlebars and came to a soft landing with all limbs in tact. It was fun getting back on as the wind was using my disc as a sail, but I eventually won that battle. I heard later that the corner was quite a popular spot for unscheduled dismounts - Lucy had less good fortune than me and left part of her elbow and knee skin on the tarmac and came away with a bent gear-hanger for her troubles Sad

After my off, I took the rest of the bike a bit more cautiously, but was pleased to arrive in T2 still in front.

The run was a 4 (or 5?) lap affair around Ely and the Cathedral grounds. I say 4 (or 5?) as after I picked up my 2nd band and say 33 minutes on my watch, it dawned on me that maybe I wasn't at half way after all! It transpired that after you pick up the 4th lap band you have to complete almost another lap, making the run course about 20k. The first two laps felt ok, but my pace dropped off just as Lucy went past me (she was a lap down) "tuck in" she said...."No, I'll just consolidate here" I said Wink Half way round that lap, Sam caught me and was looking good on his feet "how you feeling?" he said..."not good" I replied, and off he went. The next guy to pass me gave me a kick up the ass and I then had someone to chase on my last lap - it later transpired that he was a lap down, but I didn't realise at the time, so it was a good test mentally as I managed to pass him at the, well "my", last aid station. The only other to pass me was Vicky Gill a lap down, who was also running strongly and trying to run down Lucy. So, double chicked on the run Very Happy Very Happy

So, in the end I managed to make the second step of the podium behind Sam, 3:59 to his 3:55 Smile The run was a bit of a disappointment, but I think that can be explained by under fuelling on the bike and not having my normal nutrition. The swim and, in particular, the bike are where I want them to be and I'm encouraged that I'll be able to give a good account of myself for my end of season races. I'm more bullish about ITU Olympic race than the 70.3 though, but we'll soon see.

This weekend I've got a couple of time trials and run off's as my final blow outs before heading out on Wednesday. A 25TT early Sunday in Newmarket, followed by a 10TT in Tring on Monday afternoon. Having just had the P5 overhauled, I'm looking forward to improving my season power numbers Twisted Evil

Thanks for reading all Cool :

Slowly Slowly Catchee Monkey
Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:17 pm savaloy

After Killkee it was time to get my head down for my next block of training. With the focus being on Olympic and 70.3 the intensity has picked up, even if the speed hasn't! As part of the sharpening up process I've been combining Time Trials and triathlon races at the last three weekends which I've been pleased with - over the weekend of 20th/21st July I combined a 50 mile TT with the Hillingdon Sprint tri, the following weekend a 25 mile TT with the Bedford Classic (Olympic distance) and last weekend a 10 mile TT with the Olympic Plus at London. Apart from the 25/Bedford weekend, I was really pleased with how things went/are going.

Getting the "bad" out of the way, the 25 TT involved a 12 minutes late start penalty on account of getting stuck in M25 and I backed that up by going off course whilst leading at Bedford, getting diverted by a timetrial going on in the wrong direction 🙈😄 ended up 4th, but a solid couple of days training nonetheless Smile

However, the other weekends went really well, particularly the bike with my power numbers during the TT's and triathlons at their best this season, and some encouraging signs with my running, although there is still some work to do in that department. A win at Hillingdon was pleasing and although I ran out of road to catch Hobbo and Maggy at London on the run course, I was happy with all three disciplines.

I've also been having some fun with Megan as part of her open water adventure. The UK weather has been been good and non wetsuit swims have been the order of the day. After some good prep for nationals, the chick struggled a bit on race day with sighting and some biff. However the experience and exposure to nationals for her (and me) was overall an enjoyable one and no doubt an invaluable lesson moving forward. Knowing how important an off season is, it'll be good to see her backing off and chilling out over the rest of the school holidays as she decides what she wants to achieve next season - she's intimated that she might want to develop her running so sounds like some XC may be on the agenda Smile

Writing this, I'm just finishing off a mini break/boot camp in Lanzarote. It all seems a bit odd not being here with an ironman focus - however, even with less volume, I still seem to be as tired on account of the intensity, although it's been useful with more time in between sessions as work continues to be manic and I've been surprisingly productive whilst being out here. It's also been a good time filler as a solitary boot camp can get a bit lonely!

Looking forward, I've got one last prep race next weekend - the Monster Middle in Ely - and then some time trials over the August bank holiday weekend before heading out to Canada for my "dirty worlds double" with the ITU olympic distance on 1st September and 70.3 on 7th September. Whether that will signal the end of my season or not will depend on how I come out those races, both physically and mentally.

Thanks for reading.

Slainte 👍

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 66, 67, 68  Next 
My Results from 2015

Wimbleball UK 70.3 28/06/15
10th M45
(24:27/5:30/3:10.45/5:21/1:44.58 )

Outlaw 26/07/15
4th M45 10:07.55
(51:34/2:17/5:17.11/4:18/3:52.33)

Thames Turbo Sprint 31/08/15
7th 1:02.30
(5:53/0:49/35.89/0:55/18.53)

Challenge Weymouth 13/09/15
5th M45 10:07.40
(55:28/3:53/5:21.23/4:23/3:42.34)
My Results from 2014

Abu Dhabi Long Distance 15/03/14
DNF
(39:24/4:20/5:35:02/DNF)

Ironman South Africa 06/04/14
16th M45 11:02.34
(50:54/3:13/5:54.06/6:36/4:07.35)

Joey Hannon 27/04/14
3rd 1:57:08
(20:31/1:20/57:20/1:42/36.13)

Mallorca 70.3 10/05/14
4th M45 4:32.37
(23:36/3:56/2:29.25/3:22/1:32.18 )

Hell of The West (Killkee) 28/06/14
9th 2:07:20
(18:52/0:51/1:08.43/0:41/37:54)

Hillingdon Sprint 20/07/14
1st 1:14.18
(9:57/24:41/39:40)

Bedford Classic 27/07/14
4th 2:11:40
(19:30/0:41/1:09.24/0:35/41:33)

London Triathlon Olympic Plus 03/08/14
3rd 2:59:41
(19:32/3:01/2:00:21/2:32/34:26)

Monster Middle 17/08/14
2nd 3:59.31
(26:13/2.12/2:06.36/1.11/1:23:21)

ITU World AG Champs Standard 01/09/14
4th M45 2:03:59
(19:18/2:30/1:00.05/2:15/39:08 )

World 70.3 Championships 07/09/14
7th M45 4:18.17
(24:50/4:06/2:19:23/2:19/1:27.35)

Ironman Barcelona 05/10/14
3rd M45 9:05:59
(49.21/2:42/4:50:44/1:08/3:22:04)
_____My results from 2013____

Abu Dhabi Long Distance 02/03/13
1st M40 7:29.03
(38:20/3:48/5:18:54/4:55/1:23.09)

ETU Middle Distance Champs (Barcelona) 19/05/13
6th M40-44 4:55:48
(27:31/2:09/2:50.45/1:04/1:34.19)

Lough Cutra Olympic 26/05/13
3rd 2:12:38
(21:27/0:50/1:11.18/0:48/28.13)

Hever Castle Evening Sprint 12/06/13
1st 1:12.36
(12:30/0:54/38:13/0:47/20:09)

South Cerney Olympic 15/06/13
2nd 2:08:08
(20:10/1:03/66:49/1:24/38:36)

Ironman Frankfurt 07/07/13
14th M40 9:31:31 (S 49:32/T1 03:53/B 5:01:15/T2 02:43/R 3:34:08 )

London Triathlon Olympic Plus 28/07/13
1.5k/80k/10k - 2nd 3:08:31 (S 21:13/T1 2:57/B 2:04:01/T2 2:29/R 37:53)

European 70.3 Champs Wiesbaden 11/08/13
21st M40 4:41:52 (23:28/2:51/2:43:28/1:52/1:30:13)

Hillingdon Aquathlon 05/09/13
1st 24:12
(08:40/15:32)

Valencia Olympic 08/09/13
1st M40 2:10:08 (S 21:39/T1 1:38/B 1:06:35/T2 1:52/R 38:24)

ITU Aquathlon World Championships 11/09/13
1st M40 31:02
(12:59/1:06/16:57)

ITU World AG Champs - Standard 15/09/13
4th M40 1:51:30 (S 9:54/T1 2:52/B 1:00.32/T2 2:56/R 35:18 )

Ironman World Championship 12/10/13
11th M40 9:19:58 (S 53:33/T1 02:23/B 4:53:04/T2 03:20/R 3:27:38 )
_____My results from 2012____

Serp NYD 10k 01/01/12- 15th 36:09
Met XC League Trent Park 4.75 mile XC 14/01/12 60th of 335 27:44

Southern England XC Champs Brighton 28/01/12169th of 745 (20th vet) - 58:34 - 15k

Met XC League Perivale 5.66 mile XC 11/02/12
46th of 267 31:31

Roding Valley Half 26/02/12
7th of 910 75:51

Abu Dhabi Long Distance 03/03/12
DNF Sad

Bath Half 11/03/12
111th 79:58

Brentwood Half 25/03/12
10th 75:49

USN Sprint Duathlon 01/04/12
5K/20K/5k - 1st 1:07:24 (Run 1 17:47/T1 0:28/Bike 30:37/T2 0:29/Run 2 18:03)

FulonTri Duathlon 14/04/12
6K/18K/6k - 4th 1:14:01 (Run 1 21:47/T1 0:29/Bike 30:18/T2 0:37/Run 2 20:49)

ETU European Champs 20/04/12
1st M40-44 1:59:47
(20:22/2:52/59:26/1:30/35:37)

Volcano Olympic 28/04/12
5th 2:04:40
(19:32/2:14/65:39/1:03/36:13)

GB Masters Champs Sheffield 50m pool 04/05/12

1500m - 2nd in 40-44 AG 18:50:79

ECCA 10m TT E2/10 05/05/12 38.01 (20:51 but late start penalty)Last Very Happy

Norland 30m TT F1/30 06/05/12 1:05.03 3rd

ECCA 10m TT E91/10 07/05/12 22:08 3rd

Norland 50m TT F1/50 13/05/12 1:49.54 3rd

Ironman Lanzarote 19/05/12
9th M40 10:09:30 (S 50:31/T1 03:47/B 5:30:09/T2 06:10/R 3:38:54)

Herts 30m TT F1/30 27/05/12 1:03.15 2nd

Finsbury Park 50m TT F1/50 10/06/12 1:48:20 4th

Icknield 25m TT F1/25 01/07/12 55:01 5th

Challenge Roth 08/07/12
1st M40 9:03:21 (S 47:45/T1 02:22/B 5:02:40/T2 01:48/R 3:08:48 )

API 25m TT E2/25 14/07/12 50:35 10th

SwimFest 10k swim 15/07/12 2:21:14 5th

Shaftesbury CC 50m TT E2/50 21/07/12 1:46:41 18th

ITU LD World Champs Vitoria Gasteiz 29/07/12
2nd M40 6:18:36 (S 55:43/T1 02:40/B 3:05:25/T2 1:33/R 2:13:18 )

FPCC 25m TT F1/25 05/08/12 55:12 14th

Votwo Silverstone Duathlon 07/08/12
3K/18K/3k - 3rd 51:04 (Run 1 11:05/T1 0:16/Bike 28:16/T2 0:15/Run 2 11:12)

Irish MD Champs Half Ireman 19/08/12
2nd 4:29:21
(24:25/01:51/2:31:03/1:10/1:32:44)

Wicklow Aquathlon 22/08/12
3rd 28:22

Ironman 70.3 World Champs Las Vegas 09/09/12
40th M40 5:04:55(26:36/3:41/2:41:25/2:43/1:50:30)

London Triathlon Olympic Plus 23/09/12
1.5k/80k/10k - 2nd 3:08:56 (S 20:37/T1 3:28/B 2:02:37/T2 1:58/R 40:18 )

Votwo 3.8k Swim Dorney 30/09/12
48:32 3rd

Ironman World Championship 13/10/12
62nd M40 10:09:27 (S 54:36/T1 02:37/B 5:27:20/T2 05:21/R 3:39:27)
All about savaloy

savaloy
Interests: Triathlon

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.