Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Quality v Quantity
25m Kick board 30s (03/10/12)
50m Kick board 1:04 (03/10/12)
50m 37 (01/03/13)
100m 1:20.5 (01/03/13)
200m 3:02 (04/04/12)
400m 6:18 (22/01/13)
500m 8:10 (27/03/13) (first 500 in 1500)
750m 12:22 (27/03/13) (first 750 in 1500)
1000m 16:23 (12/02/14) (first 1k of 1500)
1500m 24:51.8 (27/03/13) OW - 23:43 - 2010
1900m 33:58 (09/09/10)
3800m 1:11:20 (24/05/11) (1:06ish @ FM but time inc. T1 1:14)
Golf - 70 (39s / 31st) (**/08/15)
CSS test 6:20 / 3:06 = 1:37 (02/05/14)
CSS fastest splits - 6:18 / 3:03 = 1:38 (22/01/13)

IM and other stuff

100IM 1:50
50 fly 48

20km 38:12
40km 1:02:35 (22/06/14)
90km 2:46:20 (18/08/12)

5km 22:38 (07/05/12) (Tonbridge Tri)
10km 45:41
Half mara 1:46:44 (24/02/13) (Tunbridge Wells)
Marathon 4:09:11 (13/04/14) (VMLM)
30min TM - 6120m
5km TM 22:50 (25/04/12)

(400/20/5) 1:11:33(Eton SS 2009)
Sprint 1:34:55(Blenheim 2008, only standard distance sprint!)
7oaks 1:48:14 (27/04/14)
Tonbridge 1:23:28 (May 2012)
Oly 2:18:31 (Dartford 2014)
70.3 5:34:55 (Midnightman 2012)
Iron 14:21:58 (Forestman 2011)
In 2002 i ruptured my ACL and MCL playing football and was told i would not be having an op on the NHS and could never play again (along with many other things!)... After doing some freeride / downhill MTB'ing for a couple of years, I starting to swim again in August 07 and thought, i cycle, i swim...all i need to do is run a about earning a little money for charity and sign up for the London Oly! I went on to enjoy my first season in tri so much I have done a 2nd, gone sub 2:30 for an Olympic distance got round an ironman and am still going!
When not training I can be seen at the Boleyn Ground being a long suffering season ticket holder at the 1966 World cup winners West Ham Rolling Eyes
Calendar 04 - 2019
<  Apr, 2019   >
Log in
Log in


All about hammerer

Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

 Send private message
The London Triathlon 10/08/2008
Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:47 am hammerer
  Reply with quote  
View user's profile
After a pretty sleepless night the alarm went off at 4:15am ready for the big day. I ate a big breakfast consisting of a bowl of porridge banana and honey washed down with a big cup of tea and got myself ready. Filled 500ml bottle of very weak GO electrolyte for the journey and one 800ml bottle at 6%. An 800ml bottle of water and a one also of Rego chocolate for after as I knew I wasn’t going to get solid food for a while. I set off about 5:15 eating a Go bar on the way and sipping Go electrolyte. I eventually got into transition about 6 o’clock. This gave me plenty of time to relax, chat with fellow competitors and prepare myself for what was going to be the single biggest endurance event I have ever done. I finished the 500ml of fluid by 6:30 and at 7:10 took a GO orange Gel as I have always done and went for the long walk to swim. That bridge was hard on the feet though. For 7:30 in the morning there was a big crowd as we entered the water and the first thing I tasted was salt…Wasn’t expecting that. The start line was manic and had a couple of inches of space all around, but positioned myself near the start as I wasn’t going to get caught up in all the washing machine as usual. The gun went off and I went out hard for the first 150m trying to stay right and get clear water and after that settled well into a nice rhythm. I was swimming nice and relaxed and the plan had worked as I was in clear water. I found some feet and just followed getting my HR back to a good rate. The first time I sighted the turn buoys I must have been at about 500m and this was when I started to move over, although it meant losing my draft for a bit. I soon found two more pairs of feet, but ended up getting a little kick as one decided to start breast stroking at that moment. As I got to the turn buoys I thought that my time was quick. It didn’t seem like I’d been swimming long and I got round these well to be faced with the grind back to Excel. The wind was coming at us causing quite a swirl in the water. Sighting became difficult and resulted in a mouthful of diesel on more than one occasion. I thought I was going to be sick on one occasion and I lost my breathing pattern for a few strokes but soon relaxed and got back into it. The return leg took a bit longer than going out because of this and as I rounded the last buoy I swum onto the pontoon and went to stand up. Classic error was that my whole body hadn’t made it, and as I went to stand I fell back into the water, causing a cramp in my right calf. I then had a helpful marshal try to give me a hand but I was better trying to lift myself up and I climbed out. As I run along the riverside I couldn’t find my zip so this slowed me a bit but once undone I got the wetsuit off quite quickly. The stairs into Excel were a nightmare though and I had to walk these. I really feel for the people later in the day, I imagine there must have been a few accidents and I am disappointed that some sort of matting hadn’t been put down. After finding the bike due to my bright green towel and the fact there was yellow tape on the floor I exited quite quickly. I’m glad I had the shoes pre clipped as the slippery floor is not place for look cleats and it’s a long run through transition. Out onto the bike and it hit me. I’m getting used to the wind now and the first short lap started very hard as it was very strong, but I kept a high gear and span easily as it was going to be a long day. I got to the Aspen way turn and then it was time to put the hammer down. With that wind it was great and I was going well until one of the “non-existent” hills that I totally misjudged. I made a schoolboy error of dropping to the 39T chainring and changing down the cassette at the same time and the chain came off. What a nightmare. I got it back on easy enough so I jumped on the bike and as I went to peddle away I realised I was in a low gear and my foot slipped as I was trying to clip in! Luckily just a bit of dented pride so stopped, lifted the back wheel and changed to an easier gear and away I went. It must have cost me a good minute but not to worry. The return back to the Beckton roundabout went well, but then as I turned to come back for the second lap the wind hit. This was tough and I knew the blast to Westminster wasn’t going to be easy. I thought to myself that I should push as I could have a rest coming back so had some good moments. The Limehouse link tunnel was great coming through but coming out was another of those non–existent London hills. They are short and sharp and really drain if you misjudge them. I see a lot of “lazy” riders not gearing up and grinding them but I have learnt from this type of hills in Kent (although they tend to be a lot longer!). Coming towards Tower Bridge is tough as the road narrows significantly and I was being held up a lot and in the end got frustrated especially as there were three blatantly using each other for a rest! I just yelled coming through and took a risk, nearly got taken out by a wobbly MTB’r but made it through unscathed only for 5 minutes later being blasted past by a chain gang. The thing is the draft busters see this but didn’t appear to do anything, maybe they did later but who knows. This spurred me on and I chased them down! And went past with a nice grin on my face, but had I done too much? I got to the Westminster turn and my legs were feeling it and I was concerned for the run at this stage. It had been a hard slog against the wind and I was worried I’d put too much in but I had my first Gel and this seemed to give me the pick me up I needed. I had a good ride back with the wind and I was with the same group most of the way and we were pushing each other really well. I would have someone go past and I would fight back to go past again. It was good stuff and coming back through the Limehouse at over 30mph was great fun. Back to the Beckton roundabout for the last time and bang straight into that wind, just to give you a kick in the teeth when you don’t want it. I span my legs ina high gear for much of this stretch as I knew I had a 10k run at the end and if I pushed this last bit it could ruin that. Into transition and as usual left the shoes on the bike. As I dismounted at speed the bloke in front decided to come to a complete halt, along with the one next to him. The marshal had a pop at him though as it was dangerous. He then proceeded to slide like bambi on ice in his cleats nearly standing on my bare feet a number of times. I shouted at him to get out the way but he didn’t listen and seemed to be hell bent on stamping on me! I had drunk 400ml of Go electrolyte during the bike and a couple of swigs of water. I went through transition quite well, but that’s one long run to get out! As I hit the run, the bloke I’d spent a lot of time jostling for position on the bike came with me. He was Royal Navy tri and a good chap. We ran together the whole way and really pushed each other. The first kilometre was the usual slog where I thought “how am I going to finish this”. We settled into a nice rhythm and were talking to take our minds off and were running quite well. The first turn came and went and then it was the first climb into the Excel centre. That is just plain sadistic! The crowds were fantastic and it helped to think, just 25mins left. We both checked our watches and realised that a 25min 5km had just been done and another one would mean sub 2:45. My pre race goal was sub 3 hours but best effort all going well, I knew 2:45 could be possible. He was also aiming for 2:45. I took another gel and we stepped up the pace. He was hurting at this point but kept pace and was pushing me to go faster too. We did go a bit quiet at this point but I was feeling good. We got to the turn and knew we had taken about 2hrs29 so that elusive 2:45 was on and barring serious problems we’d made it. This spurred me on and we again upped the pace. As we got to the 8km marker my legs were beginning to ache but I didn’t care. I was running as fast as I had ever felt over long distance and was moving freely. How much of this was down to the help from being pushed by my competitor I will never know but I know what I can do now. As we approached the 9km marker I knew it was time to go so I said Come on come with me one last km, but he had no more left as I again upped the pace and went for it. In hindsight it may have been early because that last ramp run destroyed me but I kept pushing and as I entered excel to the cheering crowds I knew I was on for an incredible time that I couldn’t have dreamt of a year ago. I rounded the last bend and put in a final sprint to notice the clock was saying 10:11. This meant I must have gone well under 2:45. I was ecstatic and finished in 2:41:57. When the splits were released later in the day I had also hit a 10k P.B. of 48:18.
Final splits
Swim 32:13
T1 3:38
Bike lap 1(12km) 21:40
Bike lap 2 (28km) 53:51
Bike 1:15:31
T2 2:20
Run lap 1 25:07
Run lap 2 23:11
Run 48:18
Total 2:41:57

Thanks to everyone for the replies and good luck messages. It really helps.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 pm savaloy
  Reply with quote  
View user's profile
Top Bombing Hammy Cool
Swim smart, Bike strong, Run tough

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:49 pm Sue
  Reply with quote  
View user's profile
well under the time you wanted, great
I remeb the steps into the centre after the swim were leathal Shocked Shocked
--gosh a long paragraph, or was it one sentence Wink

  Goto page 1, 2  Next 
2018 schedule
4th March - The Big Half Report
2015 Schedule
15/16th Aug Midnightman Report
2014 Schedule
2nd Mar - Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon Report

13th Apr - VMLM Report

27th Apr - 7oaks tri Report

22nd Jun - Bridge Tri Report

13th July - The Bastion Report

Championship XC

25th Jan - Southern XC Champs Report
2013 Schedule
24th Feb - Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon Report
21st Apr - VLM
28th Apr - 7oaks Tri
23rd Jun - Bridge Tri Report
14th Jul - Cowman
21st Jul - National Lottery Run Report
27/28th Jul - Midnightman Report
22nd Sep - Tonbridge Half Mara Report

Championship XC

5th Jan - KCAA XC Champs Report
2012 Schedule
7th May - Tonbridge sprint
17th Aug - Half Midnightman Report
23rd Sep - Tonbridge Half Marathon Report

Kent XC League

8th Oct - Race 1 - New Barn Park - Report

27th Oct - Race 2 - Tonbridge - Report

1st Dec - Race 4 - Danson Park -

Championship XC

7th Jan KCAA XC Champs - Report

17th Nov London XC Champs - Parliament hill Report
2011 Schedule
29th Jan - SEAA XC Champs (15km) - Report
20th Feb Kentish Killer sportive 73miles - DNS
27th Feb Tunbridge wells half mara - DNS
10th Apr 7oaks tri - Report
17th Apr VLM Report
2nd May Tonbridge Sprint Report
26th Jun Forestman Report
7th Aug Hyde Park Oly Report
25th Sep Tonbridge Half Mara report

Kent XC league

8th October Race 1 - New Barn Park -report
29th October Race 2 - Tonbridge -report
2010 Schedule
21st Mar - Reading 1/2 mara - DNS
18th Apr - 7oaks sprint - Report
30th May - Austria 70.3 - Report
13th Jun - Windsor Oly - Report
27th Jun - Dartford Bridge Oly - Report
8th Aug - London Oly - DNS
26th Sep - Run to the beat 1/2 mara Report

Kent XC league

9th Oct - Round 1 West Wickham Report

23rd Oct - Round 2 Tonbridge Report
2009 Schedule
19 Apr - 7oaks - Report
17 May - Eton - Report
7 Jun - Blenheim - DNS
14 Jun - Windsor - Report
2 Aug - London - Report
16 Aug - Dextro Energy Tri -Report
20 Sep - 7Oaks - Report
2008 Schedule
18th May - Eton Sprint

8th June - Blenheim Sprint

20th July - Bananaman 3/4

10th August - London Olympic

14th September - Orca Classic Tri

5th October - London HM
21km run - DNS Mad

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk® All rights reserved.