Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Links

Quality v Quantity
Mileage
P.B's

Swim
25m Kick board 30s (03/10/12)
50m Kick board 1:04 (03/10/12)
50m 37 (01/03/13)
100m 1:20.5 (01/03/13)
200m 3:02 (04/04/12)
400m 6:18 (22/01/13)
500m 8:10 (27/03/13) (first 500 in 1500)
750m 12:22 (27/03/13) (first 750 in 1500)
1000m 16:23 (12/02/14) (first 1k of 1500)
1500m 24:51.8 (27/03/13) OW - 23:43 - 2010
1900m 33:58 (09/09/10)
3800m 1:11:20 (24/05/11) (1:06ish @ FM but time inc. T1 1:14)
Golf - 70 (39s / 31st) (**/08/15)
CSS test 6:20 / 3:06 = 1:37 (02/05/14)
CSS fastest splits - 6:18 / 3:03 = 1:38 (22/01/13)

IM and other stuff

100IM 1:50
50 fly 48

Bike
20km 38:12
40km 1:02:35 (22/06/14)
90km 2:46:20 (18/08/12)

Run
5km 22:38 (07/05/12) (Tonbridge Tri)
10km 45:41
Half mara 1:46:44 (24/02/13) (Tunbridge Wells)
Marathon 4:09:11 (13/04/14) (VMLM)
30min TM - 6120m
5km TM 22:50 (25/04/12)

Tri's
(400/20/5) 1:11:33(Eton SS 2009)
Sprint 1:34:55(Blenheim 2008, only standard distance sprint!)
7oaks 1:48:14 (27/04/14)
Tonbridge 1:23:28 (May 2012)
Oly 2:18:31 (Dartford 2014)
70.3 5:34:55 (Midnightman 2012)
Iron 14:21:58 (Forestman 2011)
Me

In 2002 i ruptured my ACL and MCL playing football and was told i would not be having an op on the NHS and could never play again (along with many other things!)... After doing some freeride / downhill MTB'ing for a couple of years, I starting to swim again in August 07 and thought, i cycle, i swim...all i need to do is run a little..how about earning a little money for charity and sign up for the London Oly! I went on to enjoy my first season in tri so much I have done a 2nd, gone sub 2:30 for an Olympic distance got round an ironman and am still going!
When not training I can be seen at the Boleyn Ground being a long suffering season ticket holder at the 1966 World cup winners West Ham Rolling Eyes
Calendar 11 - 2018

<  Nov, 2018   >
SuMoTuWeThFrSa

Username:

Password:

All about hammerer

hammerer

Orca Classic Triathlon 14-09-2008
Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 pm hammerer
I woke up at 5:45 for my final tri of the season. My aim was sub 2:45 but a p.b. and going under 2:40 was a bonus aim of mine. I haven’t trained well since London with mainly off the cuff sessions and a lack of mojo. The plan was to swim well and break 30mins, go hard on the bike hoping for around 1:10 and hang on for the run.
After waking I ate porridge with honey and banana and a big mug of tea as usual. I set off about 7am and on the way ate a Go bar and sipped at 500ml of weak Go electrolyte. This is my now usual pre race strategy. I registered and racked the bike and had some good relaxation time before we were informed the race was going to start at 9:50 and not 9:40. This ended up nearer 10 o’clock! It was a mass start with the women going 10mins before the men. About 500 men all crammed between the two pontoons at Dorney Lake. The course was two laps anti clockwise, but thankfully no getting out of the lake and comedy dives back in this time. It was very cold in the lake but incredibly clear. You could see the bottom all the way round. The start was chaotic and we had no countdown. It just seemed to be off. This was without doubt the most dangerous chaotic start I have ever been in, and the first turn was about 300m away. I don’t think I got a decent stroke in all that time. Chaos! I was punched and kicked more times than I can remember so at the buoy I went wide and stayed out. I found some feet and got a good draft. To the second buoy ready for the 300 meters back to the turn for the second lap. The field had spread by this point and I was swimming quite easily in the draft of a couple of people. When we got to the turn I ended up going past the person in front so was on my own but it didn’t affect me and I felt really good. This was surprising as I’d been feeling a bit low for the previous couple of days and feeling quite drained. I put it down to lack of sleep due to travelling back from holiday during the week. I had recovered that sleep back on Friday and Saturday nights though. The swim continued without incident until the end and I exited the water with what I thought maybe the start of a cramp, but this cleared as I run to my bike. As I crossed that matt someone said what time is that and I looked and the watch said 29mins. I was very pleased with this.
I made my way through the small transition area. Number belt on, glasses and helmet on and away. Looking good until I realised my number belt had fallen off. I leant the bike against a rack and run back to get it, put it back on and then out. The bike was 8 laps of 5.1km and 9 minute laps would mean 72mins so I knew that was the target. First lap I built into and was going well, checking the speedo, I was above 20 all the way round. This was a slightly different course to Human Race events but mainly the same. At the start of the lap there was a sweeping left hander that then goes up the lake to a left right “S” but here, it cut across to another path just after the seeping left so the sweeping left hander, then goes into a tight left right switch. On lap two I braked just before the bend and went to power through it but there was some atrocious bike handling skills on display with a few people breaking mid-bend and a subsequent concertina effect. I narrowly avoided a collision but then powered out. All good so far, I thought! Another 9 min lap total time 17:56 I noticed. This time as approaching the technical part of the course I noticed a P3C with ZIPP disk and deep dish front go past me. I thought look at that Wink and as we went through the bend he slammed his breaks on, again another narrow miss. I just thought to myself, a bike like that and he can’t ride! He lost 5 – 10 seconds with his handling through that section, and cost me too! I got up to speed a lot quicker and left him but he came back at me and got in front but was terrible through the bends. It was windy but he definitely needs to work on his bike handling through the winter Wink Lap three over and I was showing 27:30 on the bike clock so had lost a bit of time so thought lets push this lap. As I was coming behind the boat house to start the fourth lap I thought I wasn’t going to be slowed by the P3C and pushed past him and braked before the sweeping bend and got through using the whole road. Hardly dropped any speed and pushed out.

I looked back and noticed I’d put bout 30meters on him. Great I thought and kept going well on this lap, finishing in what I noticed was 37mins. Again it seemed like I was slowing but I was pushing just as hard. The fifth lap I had a gel and pushed hard again, and then at the start of the sixth I noticed I wasn’t hitting 20mph anymore. My legs felt sore and my stomach didn’t feel too good. I just had no power. This wasn’t normal and definitely wasn’t to do with me going too hard. I’d only done 25 km! I kept trying to push and after the 7th lap I noticed I had a time of 1:08. What had happened?? My legs felt like jelly, I didn’t feel good and I had no power. I made a conscious decision to spin for a lap and take the first 5km of the run and see how I was going. I got round to T2 and a split of just over 1:18.

I had drunk about 400ml of SIS Go and had a gel.
I was out of T2 very quickly and got into my stride well. My legs felt a little sore but my running was fluid and I felt surprisingly good. I got to the 2.5km turn just round the bend at the far end of the lake and turned to run back. I was going very well at this point and was overtaking people. I finished the first 5km lap in about 24minutes with a total time of 2:14. I then thought that a p.b. was on the cards here. 2:41 I got at London, and I thought another negative split and I will be looking at 2:38. I felt good and took a gel to get me through. I was moving ok but felt I was slowing a bit, understandable and I just thought make the turn and the last 2.5k I could push as previous.
As I passed the 7k marker it all went wrong. My body just decided enough was enough and all I can say is it seemed to just shut down. My legs just didn’t want to move. I had crippling stomach cramp and felt light headed. I felt very sick and stopped and stepped off the side of the track and was bent over double. Now this is where I realised what a great sport this is as no less than 5 athletes stopped to check I was ok. Incredible! I had less than 500m to the turn and was almost at the farthest point of the lake anyway. I just thought I have to go back to the finish, so walk to the turn and then try and run back.
I walked to the turn and kept stopping as I felt ill but turned and started to jog but the pain was so intense I immediately stopped again. I walked as this was just about manageable and in the distance I see the 8km marker. I thought I will walk there and start a jog again. At this point it hit home that my race had fallen apart and as I looked at my watch I see the 2:41 pass and I felt so down. As I got to the 8k marker I started a jog if that’s what you could call it and the pain was bad but I kept going. The crowd started at about 8.5km so I thought I have less than 10minutes of this and I can’t walk past all those people. I ambled past with a kind of jog and as I approached the finish shoot I couldn’t even increase the pace there. It was agony and I think this is the only time during any race I didn’t have a smile on my face. I crossed the finish line in 2:47:** with a 5km of 33mins and total 10k time of 57mins.

At least I got my finishers goody bag though even if the p.b. fell by the wayside.
I still have stomach problems today and it seems that I must have caught a bug and not realised how bad I was. Here is to a good recovery, and some sort of redemption in my first ever ˝ marathon on October 5th. My goal for next season is still the same, sub 2:30!

edit with added photos

splits :- pos /387
swim 29:56 196
T1 1:57 236
bike 1:18:01 195
t" 1:01 152
run 56:11 331
total 2:47:10 257/387

Replies
Sue, thanks…not all good though and I have still got a challenging goal for next season!

Sav, Zola, Think he may surprise a few people though, and then leave for Chelsea…hope your run went better than mine!

DD, I’ll get some of that for the next time I sea swim. Maybe that’s why I sufufered Sunday…I need some excuse Wink

Slacko, menorca’s great. Wouldn’t mind a ride out there too! I think Zola will do Ok as long as Clarke joins him! About Xl though, our owner is chief of Lansbanki.., the bank who leant them the money for the fleet. Could be testing times for poor old BG at the helm and I think he has bigger worries that us hammers at the moment![/img]

~   Last edited by hammerer on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:30 pm savaloy
Arrggghh Mate - gutted for you Sad Sad sounds like you emptied out/used all your glycogen stores in the first half of the race - that's happened to me a few times in training - basically glycogen stores depleted meaning that you can't work at a higher intensity - my take is that if it happens the only thing you can do is step off the gas big time/get your HR down and use your almost unlimited supply of fat as an energy source to get you round - the good thing is that you now know that, but for that, you'll have smashed up your target with some change - it'll come

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:02 pm Justin S
I was spectating yesterday at that race and was standing right on the apex of that corner... I suppose I have a death wish or something. You're right though there was some 'interesting' bike skills on display there. One guy came into that corner way to fast and the bike went from under him, he ended up straight in the barriers. Not the best way to treat your flash looking Daika. Nasty case of road rash too. Also there was a lot of pedals clipping the tarmac, a few 'bucking bronco' moments...

Get weather updates

Goto page 1, 2  Next 
2018 schedule

4th March - The Big Half Report
2015 Schedule

15/16th Aug Midnightman Report
2014 Schedule

2nd Mar - Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon Report

13th Apr - VMLM Report

27th Apr - 7oaks tri Report

22nd Jun - Bridge Tri Report

13th July - The Bastion Report

Championship XC

25th Jan - Southern XC Champs Report
2013 Schedule

24th Feb - Tunbridge Wells Half Marathon Report
21st Apr - VLM
28th Apr - 7oaks Tri
23rd Jun - Bridge Tri Report
14th Jul - Cowman
21st Jul - National Lottery Run Report
27/28th Jul - Midnightman Report
22nd Sep - Tonbridge Half Mara Report

Championship XC

5th Jan - KCAA XC Champs Report
2012 Schedule

7th May - Tonbridge sprint
17th Aug - Half Midnightman Report
23rd Sep - Tonbridge Half Marathon Report

Kent XC League

8th Oct - Race 1 - New Barn Park - Report

27th Oct - Race 2 - Tonbridge - Report

1st Dec - Race 4 - Danson Park -

Championship XC

7th Jan KCAA XC Champs - Report

17th Nov London XC Champs - Parliament hill Report
2011 Schedule

29th Jan - SEAA XC Champs (15km) - Report
20th Feb Kentish Killer sportive 73miles - DNS
27th Feb Tunbridge wells half mara - DNS
10th Apr 7oaks tri - Report
17th Apr VLM Report
2nd May Tonbridge Sprint Report
26th Jun Forestman Report
7th Aug Hyde Park Oly Report
25th Sep Tonbridge Half Mara report

Kent XC league

8th October Race 1 - New Barn Park -report
29th October Race 2 - Tonbridge -report
2010 Schedule

21st Mar - Reading 1/2 mara - DNS
18th Apr - 7oaks sprint - Report
30th May - Austria 70.3 - Report
13th Jun - Windsor Oly - Report
27th Jun - Dartford Bridge Oly - Report
8th Aug - London Oly - DNS
26th Sep - Run to the beat 1/2 mara Report

Kent XC league

9th Oct - Round 1 West Wickham Report

23rd Oct - Round 2 Tonbridge Report
2009 Schedule

19 Apr - 7oaks - Report
17 May - Eton - Report
7 Jun - Blenheim - DNS
14 Jun - Windsor - Report
2 Aug - London - Report
16 Aug - Dextro Energy Tri -Report
20 Sep - 7Oaks - Report
2008 Schedule

18th May - Eton Sprint

8th June - Blenheim Sprint

20th July - Bananaman 3/4

10th August - London Olympic

14th September - Orca Classic Tri

5th October - London HM
21km run - DNS Mad

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.