Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
MY TRAINING BACKYARD
All about bigjimsty

bigjimsty
Interests: Sport! And er... triathlons.

Send e-mailSend private message

Thumbs upwards for my sponsors

Thanks guys, you make it so much easier... Smile

http://www.hardys.co.nz/

http://www.lifestream.co.nz/

07/04 - 13/04
Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:25 am bigjimsty

Another enjoyable week, starting to feel good although I now need to start focusing on my running a little more as the marathon is only about 7 weeks away Wink
Like champagne being sipped in business class, my sessions have been short, zesty and hit the spot as desired.

MON
REST DAY
TUE
Gym
WED
Gym
THU
(am) Swimming
(pm) 2 x 7.2km runs: 1hr18
FRI
REST DAY
SAT
Hanmer 10km run race: 49.56
SUN
REST DAY

My goal for this upcoming week is to take less rest days! Very Happy
Deadlift: 405
Bodyweight: 150
Errrrr... I'm a triathlete now though.
Website & Blog

Hanmer Half Marathon & 10km
Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:35 am bigjimsty

This was a race I enjoyed doing with my Brother-In-Law back in 2005, and what a great way to kick off my run-focused race schedule. No denying that it’s not the easiest of courses, made even tougher if your fitness isn’t quite there yet (as was in my case). I have got out for a run only once over the last two weeks, so I opted for the 10km rather than the half marathon; I also thought it would be a good stepping stone for the Tai Tapu 15km race in about a months’ time.
I started the race near the back and ran the customary lap around the park with one of the girls I work with, I didn’t leave her to her own race until we started the base of the climb. The climb is a relatively long but not overly steep 3km grunt to the top on a gravel track, where you then swing off to the right and launch into some good undulating and downhill forest running. Apart from the start and finish the whole race is off road which made it much more interesting than your usual asphalt runs.
I basically ran the whole race from the back of the field, just working my way through the people in front of me. I was running alongside a young girl from about the 4km point, and seeing as we were matching each other stride for stride I tried to keep tabs on her. We ran the whole race side by side with nothing other than our footsteps and the loneliness of our breathing, a single word was never spoken between us. I think we must have been in ‘the zone’.
Because of my lack of both running and therefore running conditioning I tried to stick to my goal of 5min kilometres, with the extra goal of running a negative split; anything under 50mins I would be happy with. I ran through the first 5km in about 33mins, and I really remember looking at my watch and thinking I had a bit of work to do and some pace to try and pick up! The last 5km was fairly uneventful, I had a little bit of a bad patch to work through around the 8km mark where the girl put the pace on a little but I managed to stick on her heels. The speed picked up nicely over the final kilometre, and a sprint over the last 200m saw me finish right behind her but not enough speed to quite get around.

TIME: 49.56
PLACE: 65th out of 403

Full results here: http://www.coolrunning.co.nz/races/hanmer/results.html
Website & Blog

31/03 – 06/04
Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:55 am bigjimsty

Monday came around as if the weekend had never existed, if there ever was a balance between training, work and family I have yet to find it. I remember feeling quite excited on Sunday to get back into some semblance of ‘structured’ training, although I’m being careful not to make anything too rigid until Ironman requires me to. So with that in mind I deliberately made this week relatively low key – no big training and making enjoyment my primary goal Cool

MON
(am) Gym
(pm) Swim
TUE
40mins Orbitrek Platinum X-Trainer
WED
Gym
THU
REST DAY
FRI
1:00 / 28km Bike with John Gee (28kph) *EASY*
SAT
REST DAY
SUN
1:26.31 / 43.13km Bike (29.9kph) *EASY-MODERATE*

So all in all a relatively good week on retrospect; it had the effectiveness of a double espresso at 4pm with the casualness of a weekend surfer. Hell, it was almost groovy.
Website & Blog

12km run to be replaced... with 14.4km!
Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:46 pm bigjimsty
This morning should have been the day I could reclaim back my right to call myself a runner. The settings are perfect here in Christchurch; no wind at all and mild temperatures will ensure the 12,000 walkers, joggers, runners and ‘get-around-it-however-can’ people are out there having a great time. Unfortunately for me I am needed last minute at work as no other staff are free to help out, always seems to be the way when there’s something you have been looking forward to.
So if I am denied my 12km of glory, I’m planning to run to and from my wife’s’ parents for dinner tonight – will be 14.4km all up. Should be a nice run, I can feel it in my water.
Yesterday was my first workout after six uneventful days of being sick, must admit I struggled a little for the first 10-15mins and then I really got into it. I cycled up to Sign of the Kiwi which is a well known NZ climb. The road initially kicks up at 15%, then you start to climb high above the city passing first the Sign of the Takahe and then onto to the iconic site of the Sign of the Kiwi (322 m).

The SOK is now a café that sits right on the summit. It took me 1hr27, which is about 9mins off my PB. Not too bad as I definitely didn’t push it on the way out there! You get some amazing views of Chch up there; it’s such a beautiful and serene spot. Check out the picture – taken last year when I rode some of the Bays with James (JimboP)

At SOK with TriTalk’s ‘JimboP’

JIMBOP: "Many thanks to Jim. I emailed him to see if he knew somewhere to hire a road bike in Christchurch and he offers me use of his DuraAce clad race machine and a tour of the local hills. Then, after I turned up in flipflops and boardshorts he manages to get hold of a mates helmet and shoes in 20mins. Top bloke.
I must admit on the flat I was struggling to keep up and did more than my fair share of drafting until we got to the bottom of each hill. Will have to say though, you live in a great area for cycling. Great scenery and some killer climbs. "

Right, I must ready myself for an unexpected Sunday work shift – it’s a good thing I love my job! Just a shame I lose a precious day with the family, spending time with the ones you love is something you can’t put a value on as I realise more and more each day.

* I will be starting my training diary from tomorrow and the plan is post each week up for your viewing pleasure Smile
Website & Blog

Festival of Cycling 07
Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:37 pm bigjimsty
1st Dec 07
Festival of cycling ‘Harbour Ride’, 78.5km

'The Harbour Ride and Long Bays Classic takes riders on a challenging but achievable tour of Christchurch's iconic Port Hills and Lyttelton Harbour. Taking in Gebbies and Evans Passes, riders will climb and descend 625 vertical metres through spectacular surroundings.
Starting from McCormack's Bay Reserve in Redcliffs, the 78.5km journey gets underway with Christchurch city residents cheering you on your way during the first 20km through Cashmere and Halswell.
At Halswell the race joins the Old Tai Tapu Road for a scenic 17km along the base of the Port Hills to Motukarara. Here the race turns left, and heads up Gebbies Pass Road. From the old Black Tulip Tearooms the route climbs gradually for 4km before a final 2km grunt over the top of Gebbies Pass (185m) itself. First man and woman to the top will be crowned King and Queen of the Mountain.
Take a moment to savour the views, and then buckle up for a fast and fun 3km descent into Teddington at the head of Lyttelton Harbour.
Leaving Teddington, the route takes riders on a roller coaster ride to Governors Bay and Lyttelton. Several short, sharp climbs are made easier by big-smile descents and brilliant views out onto the harbour and across the Peninsula.
The spectacular surroundings also ease the final challenge of the ride. From Lyttelton, the course climbs again for 3.5km over Evans Pass. With the road cut out of an almost sheer hillside overlooking the harbour, this final slog will leave you breathless in more ways than one.
The effort is rewarded too, for 100m after leaving one amazing view behind, you're greeted by another, this time out over Christchurch and the Pacific Ocean. You're on the way home now, starting with a scorching 3km downhill into Sumner.
When you hit Sumner's tranquil streets, the spectators will be cheering and you have only 3k to go round the base of the hills, across the causeway & hard left back into McCormack's Bay Road for a 1k sprint to the finish back at McCormack's Bay Reserve.'

Saturday was predicted to be a beautiful day weather-wise, and it didn’t disappoint. I rode the 8km to the start as my warm-up, easy pedalling with a couple of short bursts to get the blood flowing. Only hiccup in my pre-race preparation was I forgot to have a coffee or three before I left home Rolling Eyes

Rolled up to the start about 30mins before the gun went off and already I would have been about 100m back, there were plenty of cyclists looking to get a good place for the neutral start. Found my teammate John and we had a bit of a chat about what we were going to do, he was wanting to ride together although I had a secret ambition to try and drop him through the first half of the race and get a convincing win over him.

The gun went off spot on 8.40am and after the 1km neutral zone we were away. Immediately I felt a lot more comfortable then the previous years and I knew that my fitness had improved considerably over the last month. The first 20km were pretty uneventful; the bunch we were in initially was fairly large, so I kept a high pace in the 40’s and consistently attacked to break off the hangers-on. By the 20km mark we were down to a bunch of about 15 and it looked like it might stay that way for a while. All rolling terrain until about 35km in, where you reach the base of Gebbies Pass. This is a killer, it’s very steep and I think it’s about 4km in length, kind of zig zags it’s way up through a valley and this is the first real part of the race where riders start to string out.

I kept near the front of the pack until the hill started and then I tried to stay on the wheel of quite a fast (but big) guy that was trying to sprint away. This had the desired effect of splitting me from John, and I held a bloody painful pace all the way to the summit (I had 20secs over him by time I went over the top). Unfortunately for me, I found myself with three guys on the descent, and when the flat came we could only stay away from the bunch for probably less than 5mins before they caught us. Attempt #1: FAIL

I had a quick 5mins before the next lot of hills came, just enough to catch my breath and I was away again. This time shooting to the front of the pack and trying to get a few people to come with me. The same two guys came back to me and we rode pretty hard through this set of hills, which I thought would have been enough to drop John. However, when I looked over my shoulder he had managed to get right back onto my wheel. Attempt #2: FAIL

Just under 30km of the race left and I tried two more big uphill attacks to drop John, but as soon as I slightly eased off the pace he just rode back up to me. I sensed he was starting to get a little pissed off as he rode alongside me and asked me “What are you doing? How come you’re being so aggressive?” And with that he came by me, rode through the group while I tried to keep him in my sights about five or six riders back. At that point he could have possibly gone on and beaten me, but he waited for me until the final climb, Evans Pass, as he knew this was where we could both get away.

Waiting to attack on ascent of Evans Pass

Time to attack and get rid of these other people!!

Evans is both notorious and respected in NZ cycling circles. It's nasty without being massively steep, but reasonably long, and if you’ve ridden too hard before here you will suffer once over the top and probably end up losing a lot of time.

At the base of the climb we agreed we would work together, and cross the line with the same time. I figured I wasn’t going to be able to crack him now so we might as well use each other’s help. I pulled John to the top of Evans, managed a sprint over the last 50m and dropped the five riders we ascended Evans Pass with. We dropped down the other side on our own and John chased down the next group on the road; I was absolutely buggered and John worked his way to the front with myself tucked in right behind him. We took it in turns pulling the last 10km and the anger of nobody else wanting to help us made us go even faster I reckon! We took the last corner without brakes and topped out on the final straight at 53kph – if someone had even tried to come by us I probably would have punched them! So this was a great first day, was pleased with my attacking and how I climbed. Pretty sure I could have survived in a faster group looking back on it, as for the most part I was reasonably comfortable (although the last climb was nasty). Plus the temperature was up in the high 20’s which I’m sure didn’t sit well with some people!!

PLACE: 190 out of 1,500
DIST: 78.5km
TIME: 2:19.53
AVE SPD: 33.88kph
Website & Blog

Goto page 1, 2  Next 
08 / 09 Race Calender...

12/04: Hanmer Half Marathon mountain run
TIME: 49.56 (65th out of 403)
04/05: Tai Tapu 15km road race
TIME: 1:15
01/06: Christchurch Half Marathon
29/11: South Island Half Ironman
06/12: Kepler Challenge 60km mountain run

17/01: Challenge Wanaka
*Racing as a team*
07/03: Ironman NZ Cool

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.