Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
blah blah KP's Blog.... blah blah ONE LIFE: LIVE IT!
Team KP @ Locarno Tri 2008

Team KP @ Locarno Triathlon: Age 3-5

That Damn Lake!!!
Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:31 am KP nut
Right. It's official. The Outlaw marathon route is the TOUGHEST marathon in Britain. Yeah, yeah, so it's flat and scenic with aid stations every mile and thousands of cheering spectators. But there must be some sort of random energy sucking, morale draining force field all around it!

I have run about 15 marathons. My marathon experiences go like this.

WORST EVER: Last Years's Outlaw Marathon - over 6 hours
SECOND WORST EVER - Outlaw marathon 2010 - 5:30ish
THIRD WORST EVER - This year's Outlaw Marathon - 5:45

As my PB is 4:22 and I ran a 2:08 half marathon a couple of months ago, these performances are ridiculously, ludicrously rubbish.

Poet worked out years ago that the Outlaw run was a killer. I think his phrase was 'it should be fast but it just bl00dy isn't!" I foolishly kept the faith with the race. But never again! (Or not till next year anyway).

KPx

My Outlaw Race Report: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80246

Wales Trail Marathon
Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:31 pm KP nut
Me and a million midges met up at Coed Y Brenin for this beautiful, brutal event. It was my birthday weekend - what better way to spend it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Kids went off mountain biking which they loved. I set off on what turned out to be a VERY long day which I loved rather less Mad

The run/walk/crawl went all over the National Park, lots of single track, rocky climbs and descents but quite a lot of well surfaced trails too. But continually up and down which trashed my legs and feet quite effectively. Ouch. Also had my usual GI issues which is a pain. I do much better with savoury real foods like marmite bagels or pretzels than I do with gels and sweets. But I thought I'd be ok as it was 'just' a marathon so did not take anything to eat. 15 miles in, no longer able to tolerate sugar which is all they had on aid stations. Oh dear.

Mind games started quite early on - "I'm so slow, this is too hard, should I quit half way" Yada yada. (the route was a figure if 8 so you ran through the start again at 13 miles). I knew I wasn't going to stop so it was pointless spending mental energy on it, but that pesky voice was as annoyingy persistant as the feckin midges. Had a lovely cheer from TeamKP at the half way point, which gave me a boost for about 500 yards and then I settled back into the task of grinding out a painful finish... Even worse I kept being asked by broom wagons whether I was 'carrying on'. YES. But stop bl00dy asking me or I'll change my mind!!

Finally limped home at a fairly dire 6:58:59. But there were a few people still behind me. So at least I wasn't single-handedly holding up all the marshals and the sweeper!

Actually I am very glad I finished. I have developed a bit of a habit recently of sacking training runs because they aren't going well or I'm not feeling good. The Voice Of Apparent Reason tells me that I should listen to my body etc. But I have noticed that the more I quit the more quitting seems an ok thing to do. Well maybe in training (but even then it's a bad habit to slip into) but NOT in races.

I told myself that if I walked away from this race for no other reason than I didn't much feel like carrying on, then I might as well walk away from endurance sport altogether. Because carrying on when you don't much feel like iis part of the deal. Was I prepared to walk away from the Equinox 24, JCC, ONER and AT 100?
If not shut up and run Exclamation

Next stop Outlaw marathon....

Outlaw Half Race Report
Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:16 pm KP nut
I love the Outlaw. I love racing. And best of all I love sharing all that with MrKP and the kids. So what better way to spend a weekend than to do the Outlaw Half as a relay with Mr KP cheered on by the KP kids. Cool

MrKP braved the freezing, duck-sh1t and weed filled lake and the lonely bike leaving me the pleasure of a nice flat river or lakeside run with lots of crowds and the finishing chute experience!! Bargain Laughing

But what was a realistic target for the race? To be honest back in Feb I felt so burnt out, just covering the distance felt daunting. Since then I have re-evaluated work-life stuff and removed a load of stress and am feeling loads better. But how much better? I honestly didn’t know.

However based on my ‘suffer as much as possible in less important races” philosophy I set off at sub 2 hr pace which would have been a 5 minute PB. A little ambitious maybe but I figured I could hang on at that pace as long as possible then suffer as much as possible to limit time losses. Not the most effective pacing strategy perhaps but it served the purpose of making sure it hurt!! Twisted Evil

I maintained sub 2 hr pace past half way Laughing ..... but not much past half way Mad

Then at 10-11 miles I did a 10.56 mile. Oh bugger. But I managed to speed up again for the final 2 miles to come in at 2:08, or 9:40 min mile pace

I was pretty pleased to see 5:39 on the clock as I finished as that seemed a pretty good combined effort. Turned out we did it in 5:08 as Mr KP started in the last wave!! Which looks even better. Wink

Disappointing not to be nearer my PB from Chester last year of just under 2:05 but the Outlaw included transition. And that time is damn sight better than I would have predicted a month or so ago!!

I have re-read bits of my blog and it is clear that harder training this time last year was resulting in speed gains. Somehow the HIT disappeared as I got nearer the Equinox as my focus was on mega-long runs (up to 30 miles). And then somehow I never quite found my way back to speed work after the Equinox.

Lesson learnt: Back to Mr KP’s training plans. Ouch.

Magpie: Thanks for the advice. It’s taken me 2 years to figure out that I just need to earn enough not to earn as much as possible!!
Soooooooz: Thanks Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next 
Thought For The Month 2014

August: All the effort in the world won't matter if you are not inspired"

July: "If the road is easy you're likely going the wrong way"

June: "You will get what you want, when you stop making excuses on why you don’t have it.”

May: “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” Winston Churchill
Thought for the Month 2013...

March: Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.
Thought For The Month 2011

January: She who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.

February: My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass.

March: Experience has taught me this, that we undo ourselves by impatience. Misfortunes have their life and their limits, their sickness and their health.

April: Aim for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars.

May: Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless!
Thought For The Month 2010

January: "How you live your days is, of course, how you live your life"

February: "Millions of people long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy afternoon".

March: "A diamond is just a lump of coal that stuck to its job"

April: "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster"

May: "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!"

June: "Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt the person doing it".

July: "The mountains are in your mind".

August: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

September: "Pain is temporary. Pride lasts forever."

October: "It's not the WHAT of what you do, but the HOW of how you do it."

November: "There's no such thing as bad weather. Just inadequate clothing".

December: "When I get older, losing my hair. Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a Valentine?
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
Give me your answer, fill in form
Mine forever more????
Will you stillneed me. Will you still feed me
When I'm 64".

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.