Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
blah blah KP's Blog.... blah blah ONE LIFE: LIVE IT!
Team KP @ Locarno Tri 2008

Team KP @ Locarno Triathlon: Age 3-5

Taming My Chimp...
Sat May 17, 2014 5:48 pm KP nut
I’m reading Steve Peters’ book, The Chimp Paradox, at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chimp-Paradox-Management-Programme-Confidence/dp/009193558X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400348543&sr=1-1&keywords=the+chimp+paradox

In it there is an interesting discussion on Commitment versus Motivation.

He says motivation is largely emotional (Chimp) and unreliable. Also that it doesn’t matter much. The key to success is commitment – which is the personal fulfilment drive (human) which keeps you working away and focused on your task whether you feel like it or not on a given day.

He also takes you through a series of questions to help you work out whether your goal is worth committing to, whether a person’s commitment to a goal is strong enough to cope with the effort required. And how much effort that is depends on how challenging the goal is.

So question 1: Do I really want to run the ONER? And more crucially do I want it enough to overcome the huge barriers in the way of getting there?

Oct 2013 – Feb 2014 were a bit grim to be honest. Those months were meant to be all about focused ONER training culminating in smashing it at a February training holiday after which I could start tapering for the JCC and ONER. However by February I was stressed and miserable. I never gave up training – I went out whenever I was supposed to go out - but I felt crap and could not get the distance in as I was so slow. And I was slowing down not speeding up....My 5 hour/20 mile hilly ‘runs’ became 5 hour 14 mile hill-walks..... Rolling Eyes
I recognise in retrospect that I was psychologically burnt out. Not so much by training but by various separate life stresses that made it difficult to recover from training. And also because the distance scared the bejeezuz out of me. (Still does! OMG ) So every session became an exercise in trying to work out how far away from being fit enough for the ONER I still was. I think the fear just became paralysing in the end.

I then pulled a hamstring which gave me a few weeks out from sport. It was also an opportunity to regroup and get healthy again in more ways than just muscle recovery.

I gave careful consideration to quitting endurance sport as I wondered if I needed to focus on my family, my new house and my new business. I felt like I was losing control of all areas of my life and something had to give. Surely the ‘luxury’ of ultra running should be the thing to go?

But I don’t think that would have been the right choice: I recognise that there is no intrinsic value in running ultras or completing ironman events. So it makes sort of sense that when other commitments like work and family start making training harder, the training should be the thing to go. But there IS intrinsic value in living in a way that is true to yourself. My happiest memories and proudest achievements have been from setting myself personally tough challenges and seeing them through. And to be healthy and happy (which I also need for work and family) I need to keep doing that. I need to be inspired and it’s the toughness of an event that provides the inspiration. I can run 50 miles a week if I am training for a big event that truly excites me. If I am not I would struggle to commit to 5 miles a week....

If I stop wanting to set goals and stretch limits, it generally means that I have drifted away somehow from who I really am. And when that happens all other areas of life generally suffer too. On the other hand, when I am fully committed to a tough goal, I am better in all other areas of life too.

So in answer to do I want to do the ONER and am I prepared to do what it takes...Yes, and YES!

So on to part 2 of the Peter’s Commitment Exercise.... But that’s for the next blog!

Replies:

Yummy roasties - I’ve missed you.....
Thanks for reading and commenting.

My Outlaw Race Report: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80246

Thought For The Month 2014

August: All the effort in the world won't matter if you are not inspired"

July: "If the road is easy you're likely going the wrong way"

June: "You will get what you want, when you stop making excuses on why you don’t have it.”

May: “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” Winston Churchill
Thought for the Month 2013...

March: Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.
Thought For The Month 2011

January: She who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.

February: My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass.

March: Experience has taught me this, that we undo ourselves by impatience. Misfortunes have their life and their limits, their sickness and their health.

April: Aim for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars.

May: Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless!
Thought For The Month 2010

January: "How you live your days is, of course, how you live your life"

February: "Millions of people long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy afternoon".

March: "A diamond is just a lump of coal that stuck to its job"

April: "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster"

May: "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!"

June: "Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt the person doing it".

July: "The mountains are in your mind".

August: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

September: "Pain is temporary. Pride lasts forever."

October: "It's not the WHAT of what you do, but the HOW of how you do it."

November: "There's no such thing as bad weather. Just inadequate clothing".

December: "When I get older, losing my hair. Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a Valentine?
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
Give me your answer, fill in form
Mine forever more????
Will you stillneed me. Will you still feed me
When I'm 64".

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.