Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
blah blah KP's Blog.... blah blah ONE LIFE: LIVE IT!
Team KP @ Locarno Tri 2008

Team KP @ Locarno Triathlon: Age 3-5

Training My Chimp Part 2...
Sat May 24, 2014 11:15 am KP nut
I have determined that I DO want to run the ONER and the benefits of running it outweigh the considerable costs of getting there. In fact the benefits are massively enhanced BECAUSE of the costs, because setting and smashing preconceived limits is what I love more than anything.

So what will it take in practice?

Well, training obviously! But I did that last year and failed to make the start line, so what else needs to be added to the mix?

Key elements for previous successes (eg JCC and Outlaw) were being focused and committed, getting in the miles and never giving up.

I tried to use the same sort of approach for the ONER, so what went wrong?

The main factors are that I got too scared of the race and bottled it, that the rest of my life was very stressful and busy so my recovery was compromised and my training was just not consistent enough or of high enough quality.

So I need a much more holistic approach that keeps my Chimp confident and committed and that facilitates much better training.

So into the mix will be a:

Health & Recovery Plan
Stress Management Plan
Life Organisation Plan
Nutrition Plan
Stretching/conditioning plan
Confidence/commitment/inspiration plan.
PLUS new and improved training plans.

(Blimey, this is becoming a full time job!)

I have already drawn black lines across key training days in my work diary and am trying very hard not to accept work outside of 'work' time. This is really hard because being self employed makes it feel hard to turn work down. I can't help calculating the amount of money I am rejecting and working out how much that training run actually 'cost' me. I need to stop that and just view the figures monthly as frankly that way 80 hour weeks and madness lie! So step 1 is LEARN TO SAY NO!!

That equally applies to unwanted social contacts as I am a hopeless people pleaser Rolling Eyes

On my first day of learning to say no I agreed to 3 meetings on a NO WORK day. Oops. Still a work in progress then, but since then I have managed to say no to lots of different things. Hurray! And finally I am seeing the gaps appear in my week which I am filling with training. Which is finally starting to feel pretty good again. 20 hilly miles yesterday felt comfortable which is great.

Next stop Outlaw Half Marathon in a relay with Mr KP.

Hope to see some of you there.....

My Outlaw Race Report: http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80246

Sat May 31, 2014 12:06 pm magpie
Seems like a good plan but a plan is a benchmark to measure actual performance if performance is way off positively or negatively review the plan it aint a straight jacket.Next work out how much money you need add 20% and earn that much that way any surplus is what you are giving your pleasure time for instead of the other way round.This insight has been achieved by twenty years of recovery two nerves breakdowns in recovery and a bad back lol

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:14 am sooooooooz
20 hilly miles! ...what a start Cool

Thought For The Month 2014

August: All the effort in the world won't matter if you are not inspired"

July: "If the road is easy you're likely going the wrong way"

June: "You will get what you want, when you stop making excuses on why you don’t have it.”

May: “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” Winston Churchill
Thought for the Month 2013...

March: Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.
Thought For The Month 2011

January: She who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.

February: My own prescription for health is less paperwork and more running barefoot through the grass.

March: Experience has taught me this, that we undo ourselves by impatience. Misfortunes have their life and their limits, their sickness and their health.

April: Aim for the moon. Even if you miss you will land among the stars.

May: Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless!
Thought For The Month 2010

January: "How you live your days is, of course, how you live your life"

February: "Millions of people long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy afternoon".

March: "A diamond is just a lump of coal that stuck to its job"

April: "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster"

May: "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it!"

June: "Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt the person doing it".

July: "The mountains are in your mind".

August: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

September: "Pain is temporary. Pride lasts forever."

October: "It's not the WHAT of what you do, but the HOW of how you do it."

November: "There's no such thing as bad weather. Just inadequate clothing".

December: "When I get older, losing my hair. Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a Valentine?
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
Give me your answer, fill in form
Mine forever more????
Will you stillneed me. Will you still feed me
When I'm 64".

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.