Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Meeeeee!

Larger than your average triathlete, recently completed Wimbleball 70.3 in June 2014 and now on the voyage to become an Ironman.

1 month to go
Wed May 21, 2014 7:15 am swimbikewaddle
So 4 weeks to go......

Weight is down, 15 kilos since starting this back in January Very Happy I would like to get another 5+ kilos off this month if possible as well to take me down to my lowest weight since my teen years.

Training is going pretty well, some good indicators that I am getting fit. Still need to get some more hills in on the bike and plan to address that with a trip to Wimbleball this Sunday to ride 2 laps. I have been doing a fast mid week 35 mile ride with a group which has seemed to push my cycling up a level too, very pleased with this. Running is coming on well, I suspect due to the weight loss, need to get a 10 miler in this week as well which will probably be my last one before the race.

I raced at the British Sprint Championships at Eton last weekend and had a great day. I was a bit apprehensive due to the quality of the field but got to race my good friend who went on to win overall! The swim was an experience for me, I am usually out in the top 10 of most swims but knew I was going to be no where near that in this quality. I placed myself on the front row but got edged out a bit so switched to the side and this paid off actually with a straighter line to the first bouy. Came out in 18th with a good swim time for me of 12.30. The bike was crazily fast, we don't get so much flat in Cornwall so it was great to give it a blast, averaging 19.4 which is a PB. The run I really wanted to go for and ended up with my fastest ever 5k, in 30.52 slow I know to some but a big improvement for me especially after a hard fast bike. I ended up about 450th I think out of 600 so not too shabby for a big guy.

Moving on I have the London ITU Olympic on June 1st where I think I can have a crack at my PB there too, before starting my taper for Wimbleball in a perfect manner - a weekend in Magaluf for a stag do...... Shocked

Magpie - thanks for the comment, I don't feel like I do enough compared to some!

Final countdown
Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 am swimbikewaddle
Well it will be 5 weeks to go this Sunday..... Shocked

Targets - at least 3 more 50 mile bikes with 3000ft + climbing, 3 x 10 mile runs 3 x 3k OW Swims.

Training has been going pretty well, some of my biggest ever months in March and April, approaching 38-40 hours in both. This has seen some good performances as well, in my first tri of the year in early April equalling my pb for the course in horrific wind and rain. I also took part in Plymouth half marathon a couple of weeks back and broke my PB there, but what was most pleasing was the fact I negative split the course by 2 minutes quicker on the second half. I have also been up to ride the Wimbleball course Evil or Very Mad We did 1 lap and the in/out of transition for 33 miles and 3000ft of climbing. Those hills are going to be a killer on the 2nd lap. I have sensibly gone and got a 11-32 for the back and its proving useful in training so far so hopefully get me up that Plyon Hill and the middle one. Strangely I found Haddon Hill a lot easier. We also did a loop of the run which was more off road than I thought, hoping for dry weather or it could churn up a bit.

Moving on I have a couple more warm up races, Eton Sprint next weekend for the British Champs (What am I doing!) and then London ITU Olympic in Hyde Park on the 1st June. Looking forward to seeing what I can do in those. I will possibly enter a couple local TT's as well but not decided yet.

Getting into a rhythm
Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:52 pm swimbikewaddle
So 13 weeks and on the countdown.........

Things been going pretty well, especially in the last 3-4 weeks everything seems to have clicked and the race face is on! I have found a greater focus recently perhaps being scared out my mind that I won't finish or make the cut off has something to do with it.

I had a half marathon at the beginning of the month and was hoping to be near PB time but was well off the pace over 10 minutes down, even after the previous week managing a 10 miler at the anticipated pace. In hindsight that may have been the problem, at my weight long distance running takes a lot out of me and I did feel fatigued going into it. Combine this with a lack of nutrition or fuelling up enough and we had a crap outcome. Reviewing it I can see it was stupid, getting caught up in the weight loss and not fuelling and not respecting the distance or time I am on my feet (2.30+)

Since this I have cracked on and got some solid training in, re arranging my plan as such to suit me better rather than trying to bend myself to fit into a 'one size fits all' type of thing. I have also had some great support from friends, swim training 3 times a week with a group of us and being accompanied out on the long rides as well which is really great and I appreciate it as it makes it more interesting. Next week I am off to Lanza on holiday, but hired a bike out there so hope to at least get a couple of 50 milers in from PDC and take in the Femes climb and fire mountains, have been in contact with the shop who have advised on some routes and sent me google maps which has been fantastic. Im taking my trainers and swim kit to so will likely swim the IM course as its on the doorstep. This will be followed by an easier week leading into my first tri of the year a local 400m/15mile/4mile affair which I hope will give an indication of where I am with my fitness.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next 

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.