Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Meeeeee!

Larger than your average triathlete, recently completed Wimbleball 70.3 in June 2014 and now on the voyage to become an Ironman.

Taper Time
Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 pm swimbikewaddle
4 days to go and the nerves are definitely kicking in, my first 70.3 and I choose this one... Completely my weaknesses hills hills and more hills. I don't do things by halves. On the other side I am determined to cross that line even if it takes me 8 hours 29 mins 59 secs. I know its going to hurt and I am ready for the pain, its a mental game also and I know I have it in me, the London Marathon in 2012 showed me I can dig in and do it. Theres nothing I want more than that finishing medal.

I want to show others that it can be done, against all odds etc and I think that is what is driving me. Its my own doing yes, but I am big guy - too big but if you truly want something you will work for it. I have dropped weight for this and I know theres more in the tank to get it down. I think this side of it really drives me, challenging the 'norm' and stereotypical picture of a triathlete.

Training has been going well, I managed to get up to Wimbleball to do the 2 laps and rolled in at 4 hrs 30. The 2nd half was tough but I got around and felt good knowing I can do it now. The run is going to be what it is and thats a slog but I am planning on run/walk and if things go to plan I should have over 3 hours for the run before cut off. I've not managed to get any more long runs in but feel they are in the bag as the previous month was run heavy. Swimming is ticking along nicely, with a good result at Hyde Park.

I managed to get a spot at Hyde Park for the Olympic as I was looking for a more substantial warm up race than a pool sprint which I had entered. Even though the courses are different the fact of racing for 3 hours compared to 1.5 and with a longer OW swim made sense to change. The race went well with a new pb of 2hrs 50 - Splits as 23.59 swim, 1.12 bike and 65 run. I even managed to make the ITU Facebook page this week which was crazy - my picture got over 3000 likes and 300 shares!

So just ticking over this week - half recovering from a stag do in Magaluf which wasn't ideal prep but never mind these things have to be done! Sorting kit, nutrition etc and then leave on Friday. Best of luck to all racing and give me a shout if you see me - Big chap, red black and white tri kit - Mounts Bay Harriers Cornwall.

"Do what others will not today, so that you can do what others cannot tomorrow"

Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:36 pm sooooooooz
Come on, we can do it. See you there Cool
Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 pm Cyanide Sabre
Hi Dan

Good luck for the weekend...

Take it easy on the first loop of the bike...and watch out for the concrete downhill slope (coming out of the main Arena area) on the run

Most of all...enjoy it! Its a good race!

Goto page 1, 2  Next 

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.