Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
distance finder/route planner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: distance finder/route planner Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as a route planner/distance measurer on the web?

I run an off road route that has too many stiles and steps to ride my bike round (so i cant measure it that way) and i want to know how far i am running.

I was just about to sit down with a bit of string rule and map to work it out but guess there must be an easier way.

has anyone got a web address?
ed_m

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone did point me to a download with an excel sheet & macros that will do this.. i'll see if i can find it tomorrow.

oh and if there are stiles it's probably a footpath and hence illegal to cycle on.
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi Anna,

I used to use the bit of string and ruler and found it to be fairly accurate. I've since moved up in the world and have a device with a small wheel on that you "wheel" around the map -hubby found it in a shop but think I've seen them in some of the "catalogue junk" that drop thro' the letter box.

Happy measuring -unless ed comes up with the goods (I'd prob. get frustrated using anything more scientific!!) Exclamation
Miss Piggy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use map24.co.uk. It is great for measuring running routes. You just put in your postcode to find your house (or the start of the run) and then click on the dist. icon and then click on your route. The only bad thing is I haven't been able to find a delete button, so if you make a mistake you have to start from the beginning - not good when you make a mistake at 40K of a bike route!

Have fun with it.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. that's pretty cool
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

email me if you want a copy of the excel thing.. i can't find where it came from on the net
G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Trialgauge in the past www.trailgauge.co.uk, which is pretty good Very Happy

Cheers

G
andy collier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timex sdm, although its more expensive than the above options
Spen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a bit controversial Twisted Evil but why worry about distance?if you are training then you can pretty much judge by speed or heart rate. A friend of mine once told me that it is the quality of the work out that counts regardles of the quantity. The only real time we should ever be interested in time and distance is if we are doing a race or a time trial and then it should be on a decent course, road. Maybe its just me?? hahaha..
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree spen........ most running schedules concetrate on time for the main long run not distance and i've got scarily good at modifying my routes to almost exactly hi the target time (there's nothing worse than getting home after 2 hours to find you've still got 15mins to run)

distance matters for speed work but i tend to do that on a treadmill... less so for fartlek i guess.
anna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replys, I am just curious i am new to this and ran for 40 minutes yesterday but dont know how far i went and am just curious.

I want to join a running group at my local sports centre and they run in ability groups based on 5k times so i dont want to join the wrong group.

will try the sites mentioned ta

Anna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: