Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
psychological skills training programme

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old 149

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: psychological skills training programme Reply with quote

i have to design a psychological skills training programme for an elite triathlete can anyone give me any adivce on things that i must include?
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi errrrr.....noorkoiv - interesting name!

What makes or breaks professional cyclists can be summed up in one question: when they feel the lactic acid in their legs burning and the lungs despairing for oxygen and it feels like they're about to turn blue and collapse from asphyxiation...

...do they enjoy that feeling? If so, they can go where no-one dares to follow - Eddy Mercx was known as the Cannibal for riding beyond normal limits, so that the battle for the others was who would get second place and how many hours would they lose to Eddy!
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be serious for a moment, i suggest they take the 'clockwork orange' approach.

Strap them in a cinema-type laboratory, fix their eye-lids open with the aid of a special head clamp (while dropping the occasional saline solution on to the eyeball) and show them clips of people losing badly in triathlon finals.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for shorter races i'd suggest you need techniques to deal with the short term discomfort.... positive mental attitude.. and total association between the mind and the body.

for endurance possibly the opposite.. dissassociate the mind and body, saving up creativity to keep your mind busy whilst the body runs on auto from all the training.

that said.... the most 'associated' time i've had was about 14hrs into the 24hr race where is was described as 'floating round'.
Steve Ward

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Mental Skills For Elite Triathletes Reply with quote

Hi Old 149

This might be too late, but I work as a mental skills coach, and I am happy to help if you still need it.

Get in touch through my website at www.maximumpotentialuk.com.

Regards

Steve
Steve is a sports performance coach providing mental and emotional skills training to athletes, coaches, teams and organisations in a variety of sports at all levels from recreational to international/professional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: