Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Beyond Level 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Beyond Level 4 Reply with quote

I have just been reading the very sad article about Marco Pantani. A link on the same page talks about another cyclist - Johan Sermon who has also just passed away. The report is attributing Sermon's death to heart failure. Crying or Very sad

Reading many threads on TT and other sites, we put our hrm's on and push our bodies to the limits of its physical capability. I would argue from time trial results over the past two decades, that there is not much room for improvement. Are we are starting to push ourselves over the point of no - return for a couple of seconds improvement. Sudden deaths of young (fit) people in the prime of life clearly shows me something. I am unsure what it is, but its making me think Rolling Eyes

Any views on this.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was chatting to a friend on Friday about training etc and he said we're more prone to have a heart attack when training first thing in the morning than after work. I don't usually take that sort of thing as 100% true so I laughed it off. He then told me of two close friends of his who died of heart attack while training, one died at the gym while cycling on the machines and another while on the tread mill. By all accounts these were fit young people, one who'd just left the army and was used to running 10k's with a gas mask and pack on! The other died at 32 and left a wife and two kids without any form of financial support.

I don't know what that means to me but I did think about pencilling in a medical before coming off base training and going into speed work. Even if it costs a few quid, it's got to be worth it.
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Chap I was on a course with while in the Army died while playing 5-a-side 29 and fit as a butcher’s dog. Just dropped down dead no sign’s or anything, in fact we all thought he was having a laugh

Having been very overweight and now getting it under control, through the sport of tri I know how I would like to go, much prefer dieing while training/racing than sat on my cholesterol filed backside eating pizza and chips.

Although alarming and very worrying, if we worried about everything that will kill us we wouldn’t have time do anything, and end up worrying are self’s to death

AndyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Connor but the point of getting fit is to stay alive and live a higher quality of life. I want to live forever and getting fit is at least helping me achieve that a little. I can't stop the clock but I can slow it down a little. I'm planning on living well into treble figures!

I don't worry about anything, ever. Almost!
Delboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S**T!

In my swimming days I used to push it to the max and beyond.

I have been sick on numerous occasions from pushing to hard. I used to push my Max HR to 215 at least three times a week during training.

And then there was the lactic tolerance sets (7 * 200m on 8 mins, reducing from easy to PB).

I must admit I felt terrible during the twelve week cycle, always had a cold etc, but when tapered and shaved down felt amazing and super fit!!!

will take it easy from now on!
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, nobody said that being a super-fit triathlete would be an insurance against premature death. Sorry to be so blunt, but why mince words! Genetically, we are all carrying some form of defect but thankfully, this is rarely enough to be life treatening at an early age. Unfortunately, there is a small proportion of the population who were born to die young (see other story today about 16 year old rugby player who died during a match at the week-end just retieving the ball). The fact that the death occurs whilst playing sport of training just serves to accentuate the contradiction and, of course, is meat and fdrink to the anti-sport lobby. The simple fact is that more people die of a heart attack watching TV but nobody blames that one on the causes of premature death! So, should all these stories worry us? Not really. Provided that we train progressively, the strain on our heart and body should never be so great as to cause any major problem. But if your family has a history of heart disease, etc, then it might be worth asking your GP to run some tests just to be on the safe side. Oh, and if we were to assess all our activities on a risk-assessment basis, then we would never drive a car/motor bike, cross the road, etc, etc........For 99% of us, sport and training enhances our lives so don't worry unduly about the negative side of things. There are often good reasons why top sportsmen die early - see my posting on the "Pantani Death" thread elsewhere on this forum.

GIantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go GM

Lets just hope and Pray we are all in that 99%

Train to the MAX Twisted Evil

Robert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Gman, although it sounds Hoddle-esque: we all have defects somewhere in our body but just because it reveals itself the most when under pressure, society associates it with that activity, e.g. the guy who invented jogging died of heart failure, therefore jogging is bad for the heart Shocked Whereas, what they should be thinking is, if it weren't for him exercising, he would have died in front of the telly eating burgers and chips. And prob a lot earlier in life!

My 2c's worth....
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone said, "If you want to live for the next hour, go to bed. I you want to live to 100, go for a run".

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: