Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
7 Common Training Mistakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: 7 Common Training Mistakes Reply with quote

I pinched this from ultrafit e-tips

Triathletes: 7 Common Training Mistakes by Wes Hobson

1. Increasing training volume too quickly. Don't let the "If some training is good, more is better" attitude develop and cause an injury. Take the time to develop technical skills first.

2. Spending too much time on your strongest leg instead of your weakest. Work on your weaknesses while maintaining your strengths. Every training session is an opportunity to gain a competitive edge.

3. Using hard training as an excuse to eat and drink whatever you like. What you eat today affects your training tomorrow.

4. Not taking time to rest and recover. Rest allows your body to adapt to hard training. Sleep, massage, cross training, eating well and stretching are all part of effective recovery.

5. Training at too high an intensity. This results in excessive body stress and residual fatigue carrying over from one session to the next. Aerobic base training helps develop endurance and the physiological characteristics necessary for future high intensity work and adequate recovery.

6. Not planning an integrated training program. Develop a training program for triathlon, not swim, bike and run. If you have three coaches from the individual disciplines, you might be doing three hard lactate sessions in one day!

7. Mimicking the champions. The factors that lead champions to greatness are not always reproducible. Listen to the great ones, learn from their successes and avoid reproducing their mistakes. Take only what is appropriate and applicable to you at your level of competition and what is suitable to your training background.

Wes Hobson has competed in more than 220 triathlons, from sprint-to Ironman-distance. He garnered 35 first places, 60 top-three finishes and 96 top-five finishes during his 12-year professional career that also included being selected "Triathlete of the Year" by the USOC. Hobson co-authored Swim, Bike, Run and created three triathlon and cycling related films. He coaches multisport and single-sport athletes, organizes triathlon camps and can be reached at weshobsonperformance.com or wes@weshobsonperformance.com. He has also created several inexpensive training plans for all distances available at www.trainingbible.com/whp.
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound advice - certainly applies to me.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
AndyS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my results!

1 - Guilty, I tried to keep up with you fine people and forgot I'm a novice.
2 - Not guilty, I know I need to work on running but injury stops me, next weakest is swimming and I've been hitting that quite hard and it's getting better.
3 - Not guilty, fitness becomes a comodity I want to protect so I eat sensibly.
4 - Guilty, that's TT's fault. Should never have started the chat room Very Happy
5 - Not guilty, aerobic training is easier!
6 - Guilty, I still can't figure out training schedules and I put so much time into working on them you'd think I was a coach.
7 - Guilty (probably), I used to mimick you people!

Results - Guilty 4:3 Not guilty. Not too bad. Crying or Very sad
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I'm guilty to various extents on a few of these. i do work on all disciplines (and the ones im weak at slightly more) so no probs there.
I'm pretty bad and increasing workload in big jumps....a lot of time by 30%. and dont plan quite well enough so i have good microcycles of 2-3 eeks build training and one week rec. But in theory its easy for people like Joe Friel to tell you to do this and that. In real life your micro-cycles are very easily disrupted by recovery from races (some people recover quicker than others) which can take some time Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: