Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
PSF's EPIC QUIN FAILURE RACE REPORT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polish Special Forces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: PSF's EPIC QUIN FAILURE RACE REPORT Reply with quote

I'll try and keep this brief. Most of you know that the course was hard, it was hot, then it was cold, then it windy, then it was wet etc etc.

Pre-amble

Not sure if any of you know, but I did Ironman Brazil a few days before the start of the Quin. Rolling Eyes

I was still in Brazil when the Deca started, and I managed to get on a computer to look at the first day unravelling Shocked Shocked . And then the second............................ Shocked Confused

Arrived back in Scotland, said hello to the kids, said goodbye to the kids, and headed down to AT.

Have to say, the journey to Brazil was easier.

Taxi to airport, plane to Bristol, bus to train station, 2 trains to Christchurch, where Repo picked me up. To Sainsburys and a supermarket sweep style shopping trip.

Onto AT, where we got the tent set up and Repo set about making the tea

I think I quickly annoyed Repo with my tardiness. He likes his things to be in order:

Me? I'm not so bothered:

Set off for the briefing, 6 of us in the Quin, all TT'ers Cool

From L to R - Paul (TC's crewman), TC, DaveM, Brownsocks, Repo

Then after that, back to the tent where Repo gave PS her very own briefing:

'mechanical box is there, battery box is there, lighting box is there, medical box is there, sock box is there, nutrition box is there, etc etc:

Good to see that Repo even got involved in the Pink spirit of things :

Onto the race. To be honest, a lot of it is a blur, and I'm getting confused with the order of things, be I'll try and get it right.

Day 1:

Swim went ok. I did start getting cramp quite early on in my calves, so I stopped and asked either Rev or Sally to get me my Zero drink, which I glugged on as I went round. Water temperature seemed fine and I actually quite enjoyed it. Out of water in 1hr something, and up to the tent for a fast transition

Now, where did I put that pink stuff:

Ah, found it:

And onto the bike.

I'd obviously read and heard bad things about the bike, so I wasnt sure what to expect. At least I'd brought along a sensible bike for the course and conditions:

Headed off on first lap and felt ok. Road surface good. Conditions good. No hills really. 2 decent descents where you go along nicely. No worries.

A lot of the Deca's were commenting on how the conditions had improved, and I was enjoying the bike. Lapping around 50minutes or so, with the Rev and Sally on hand every lap to force feed me food and drink. Marshalls excellent as well, filling up drinks bottles etc. This was easy!! Cool

Lots of hours later and fast forward to the run. I dont like running, and it doesnt like me. And the course was pretty tough. Walked round the first few laps to try and get my legs working. Was finding it pretty tough, but at least I looked mighty fine:

And this is the pace I kept up most of the 'run'

During the run, Repo, DaveM and myself all caught up with each other, and we spent a good few hours lapping together. This made it a whole lot easier, and the laps seemed to fly by. Then we got split up, as Repo was 2 laps behind and wanted to catch up, and DaveM had to pay a visit to the hole in the ground. Or the Eco Toilet as they call it. Its a hole in the ground. Nothing more. Once we'd all split up, the last few laps by myself took forever, and I eventually crossed the line at some point way over the 17hr mark.

Not looking so perky now Sad

Got in my sleeping bag feeling cold, layered up with lots of clothes, but still felt cold. Shivered throughout the night, hardly slept, and was up again a few hours later for day2.

Day 2

Up at 5, getting the damp wetsuits on was a total pleasure:

Dont remember much about the swim on day2. But I got through it ok and headed out on bike. Again, I was enjoying the bike course, though now starting to notice the little climb at the end of the lap. Got talking to Mon, who started telling me about some dick the day before who'd jumped up onto the pavement to ride past some fecking horses that were crossing the road in Burley and holding traffic up. Explained to her that the Dick was me Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Half way through the bike, sat down for lunch with Repo.

The kindly Nursing staff rolled the geriatrics out into the walled garden so they could enjot their lunch in the sun. Being old and shaky, and to avoid breakages, they were given food in plastic trays:

Guess who was in Brazil recently? Laughing Laughing

Anyway, finished the bike, and started the run. Actually felt a lot better at the start of the run on day2 than I had day1. I was running all the downs and flats, power walking the ups. I was feeling great, and had loads of confidence.

I then stopped for hot food, and after that, I really couldnt get going again. I think I walked the rest of the way feeling pretty crap, and getting colder by the minute. My heels were agony, and I couldnt walk properly. The last few laps were just a painful shuffle.

I wasnt in good shape when I finished, and I think KL and PS put me to bed. I do remember having 5 layers of clothes on, 2 hats, with a big jacket over the sleeping bag, and still feeling freezing. No matter what I did I just couldnt get any warmth in me, and I spent the next few hours shivering and just feeling sorry for myself.

Day3

5am. Couldnt face it. Really couldnt face the thought of putting on a cold wetsuit and getting in the lake. Asked Repo if he would go down and tell Steve. I did at least have the decency to feel like a real coward for not even going and telling Steve myself.

Repo set off to tell Steve and I lay in the sleeping bag feeling like crap. Not just physically, but mentally.

I'd quit.

I never quit.

I heard some chat from outside the tent, not sure who it was. In my head I heard them saying 'quitting, spineless tw*t' or words to that effect.

Managed to get out of the sleeping bag, take layer after layer of clothes off, and put my wetsuit on. Ran down to the lake and told Steve I was going to give it a bash.

Got in water, and fcuk me, it was cold! Crying or Very sad

Started swimming and funnily enough, started feeling better. But then very quickly started feeling a whole lot worse. My hands felt frozen, and it just felt like no matter how much effort I put in, I just wasnt moving forward. I think I stopped and said I was finished, but Steve told me to start clenching my fists as I swam to get ther blood back moving. I tried this for a lap, but I wasnt getting any warmer. All I could think of as well was the run later in the day, and how much that was going to hurt my feet. The next lap I stopped again and said I couldnt continue. At this point my head was hurting and I was starting to feel sick. So I got out and quit. This time I really did quit Crying or Very sad

Went to tent, got warm clothes. Spent rest of day feeling sorry for myself.

I think Air-ron arrived at some point today as well. And hearing horror stories of bad weather arriving, and tents being blown away etc, he decided just to bring his house with him:

Went into town with Repo and Kl and bought some beer, ready for a session that night. Got back to AT and Dan caught us leaving the food tent, saying we were now marshalling at 5 the next morning Shocked Shocked

Day4

Up at 5 to do some marshalling for the triplers through the night. Good effort by them all Cool Cool

Later that day I helped crew KL as he destroyed the field in the 100miler

Starting line-up.

The guy Christopher (2nd from left) was a real star! Very happy and smiley throughout the entire day Cool

KL during the race:

At some point on the Sat as well, Repo mentioned that he was going to do day5 as a Sunday social. I wasnt. I was just going to have a relaxing day. I decided to try and talk him out of it, and persuade him to have a day drinking with me instead, and sat him down for a chat.

'You definately doing the race tomorrow?'
'Yeah. You fancy it?
'Ah, fcuk it - why not'

Day 5

Swim - survived. Breakfast and onto bike.

NEVER biked in these conditions. And I live in Scotland. It was driving rain, gale force winds. I was wearing a tw*t hat, and I couldnt keep my head looking straight ahead as the wind was blowing me all over the place.

Repo and I had decided to bike round together and just enjoy the day. Jeezuz, what a day!! Lap 4 I punctured. And my valves werent big enough for the Co2 cartridges. Numpty. But what a laugh Laughing Laughing

There we were, at the side of the road, absolutely pouring with rain, wind blowing us all over the place, trying to fix this puncture. We got through 3 Co2 cartridges - at one point, one of the cartridges got stuck to Repo's glove, still spraying C02 everywhere. I was laughing so much that a little bit of wee came out. And then, to top it all off, a car stopped by the side of us, AND ASKED US FOR DIRECTIONS!!!

Anyway, phone call to Steve, I walked back towards bike turn around, Repo carried on his ride.

Eddy came out, sorted tyre, I went back on the course to chase Repo down.

During this I met up with Air-Ron who said that he'd been hit by a branch of tree, and that he was struggling. Later on I found the culprit:

Caught up with Repo on lap 6 I think, and by this time I was LOVING the bike. It was so brutal and hard and wet and windy, it was actually fcuking good fun Laughing Laughing

A couple of laps later, and another puncture. Again, much hilarity at the side of the road as we tried to fix it. Then Toby from the Deca stopped to help. We told him to bugger off and to finish his bike, he was on the last day of his DECA for fecks sake and yet here he was, helping us out. He refused to bugger off, and stayed around till we were sorted. Top Guy Cool

Couple of laps later, and it was Repo's turn to puncture. And his pedal almost fell off. Comedy stuff. Laughing

Anyway, finished bike. Onto run.

We walked. The whole way I think. Every lap we kept saying, we'll run the next lap, where its flat. But we never. We just walked.

To pass the time, we played the A-Z game. Football teams. Towns. Countries. Then I made the mistake of suggesting bands. Mad

Anyone on the Enduroman thread will be well aware of Repo's diverse taste in music. I'm sure he was cheating:

Me - Abba
Repo - Badgers Snatch and hairy Warblers
me - thats not a band
Repo - Yeah it is
Me - Clash
Repo - Deviant Desperado's and the Danger W*nks
Me - Thats not a band
Repo - Yeah it is
Me - Echo and the Bunnymen
Repo - Fuhrers Fishcakes and Funny Fat Fcuks
Me - Thats not a band
Repo - Yeah it is

And so on................................

Anyway, we caught up with MartinP and we all walked the last few laps together - cheered on by the 3 remaining supportes on the course - MartinP's wife, mam, and gran Cool

Finished in 21hrs.

21 FECKING HOURS!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

All in all, a good day out!!

Got home and sent my shoes back to Nike to be amended to 'GROM DNF' Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

And now for some random pics:

BT glares at the paparazzi

Whats he tired for? He's done feck all the past few days!

If I have no arms, I cant swim - right?? (LoR)

RESERVOIR DOGS!! WHO'S MR PINK??? Cool Cool

Starry gets a special REV massage

Starry gets another special massage Shocked

Starry and DaveM on the run

Get a room!!!!

Starry looking good!

Willo in the water. 'What the Fcuk Am I doing?'

Starrys first date was going well

The Pink Veggie!

Just to finish, big thanks to Rev and Sally for crewing for us, and apologies to them for quitting after all their hard work. And great to meet the rest of you guys down there as well. Far too many to mention, but you all seem great guys and gals.

Except KL. He's a dick. Laughing

Spent more time than any other Tri Talker on the Enduroman Double Course 2014. Which means I have the best endurance. Which means I'm the best.

Last edited by Polish Special Forces on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome as ever
You might be a sh1t triathlete but you do great report Very Happy
Of all the days to pick to do a fun IM though...
Still 4 IM's in 2 weeks is good going.
2010-ChesterMara3:50|FM13:59:59|DIUK33:29|BW13:43
2011-GinPitMaras8.47|FM13.10|Outlaw12.40|HOTH|BW13.50
2012-Crawley12-54mi|Duk40-7:45|Enduro100-26.49|Outlaw12:57|TR24
2013-Gin Pit Maras|Lightning12Hr|FM|Outlaw|Steelman|ROF131Mi
LifeofRiley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top report mate. Did somebody say "comedy gold"?! Laughing
Carlito

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it Laughing
Davem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving it mate.

Made me laugh out loud at work. Now got a crowd round me looking what the fuss was was all about....
martinp....ink

Location: Running on the trails laughin at the tarmac munchers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report mate with some quality pics as well

mrsp said thanks for mentioning them cos i didnt in mine Rolling Eyes
mamp said where was that little pink thing again Wink

Pleasure to meet you mate, great to walk the final few laps with the comedy duo psf/repo...had a grin from ear to ear for the last hours slog.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifeofRiley wrote:
Top report mate. Did somebody say "comedy gold"?! Laughing
DAMN YOU ALL TO HLL Mad

+1 I was gonna say Comedy Gold. So I'll say Comedy Pink Very Happy
Brilliant report. Comedy Victory snatched from the glaring jaws of Quimming Quitting - great comeback Wink

You seem like an impressionable fella, so we should play 'Bait the Grom' by suggesting very silly races for you (and BT) to do. Twisted Evil

And you are, at least, a sort of, an almost, Triple-EnduroMan Cool (in 5 days) Party - and well done on that, and being a top bloke at all times. Pleasure to meet you properly for first time.

Cheers for the donation of the Grom Pots etc to my cause Thumbs Up Your complete generosity of well, ok 'so i'm a quitter but is there anything I can remotely do to help you instead' attitude well impressed and cheered me up m8 Thumbs Up

PSF - living comedy proof that only 99% of coppers are tw@s Laughing
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Polish Special Forces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics................

Spent more time than any other Tri Talker on the Enduroman Double Course 2014. Which means I have the best endurance. Which means I'm the best.
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report, great to have the pics to spur us on till the end Wink
hey to even get to start line after IMBrazil was great
and as said, 4*IM in 2 weeks is some going
well done for what you did n for entertaining us Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as DaveM, had to disguise a snorting laugh as a sneeze. Good to see you didn't lose your sense of humour!

Blimey, I didn't realise you'd been to Brazil! Laughing
knightlancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PSF's EPIC QUIN FAILURE RACE REPORT Reply with quote

Polish Special Forces wrote:
Except KL. He's a dick. Laughing

Don't let all the compliments take your mind off the main theme here - you failed. You failed because you were weak - you were a pixie amongst titans. Had there been a war on you and Repo would've been the first to shoot each other in the foot and ask for light duties in the mess tent. You are a disgrace to all that is good and strong and pure and pink.

And you ride a poncey bike. And you sliced my bananas too thin.

ACA(still)B

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All Cops Are BasTeds" - to make it numpT proof Rolling Eyes
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
RiRi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant report there Grom!

I think you did bloody marvelous, especially the extra 'fun' one on Sunday.
Big Ted

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PSF's EPIC QUIN FAILURE RACE REPORT Reply with quote

knightlancer wrote:
pure and pink.

there is nothing pure. it is an illness.

PSF - fantastic report - cant believe you got a photo of me smiling.

I am trying to decide which is the best photo between "reservoir dogs - mr pink" and "old folks taking lunch outside with their blankets on their legs"

Classics!

Can you please do an event next year, take photos and do another report?

Right i must get back to my work now....

Leave all this misery behind"
reptile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report PSF-some great pics out there too.

Pleasure to meet you( and be allowed to touch the bat bike! ) Very Happy

Hope to see you at another event sometime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: