Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What decent options apart from bikeboxalan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: What decent options apart from bikeboxalan? Reply with quote

Ok, so I splurged cash on a lovely Cervelo S3 early last year and am now starting to meet situations where I need to travel with it.

I know a bikeboxalan is seen to be one of if not the best bike box on the market but I'm keen to find options that will protect my bike just as much but are cheaper.

I'm expecting the bike box to be used about 3 times a year, maybe a little more but it seems OTT to spend so much on a plastic box bearing in mind the usage. (yes,yes I know it's a small % of bike cost..) Smile

Anyone got any advice on alternatives and their pro's and cons?

Thanks.

Ironman 70.3 South Africa (Jan)
London Marathon (April)
Windsor Triathlon (June)
Ironman Switzerland (July)
London Triathlon (September)
mudman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.biknd.com/index_en.html

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/123811.html

(smaller than BBA, but not cheaper)

I've just bought my 2nd BBA, I'd prefer to get the best I can afford, not the cheapest I can get away with Smile
dubbs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here - hence not wanting to spend more than I can afford (which I seem to do with alarming regularity...) Smile

London Marathon (April)
Windsor Triathlon (June)
TimB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a Scicon box recently - excellent, loads of room inside so I could stash my helmet, wetsuit, shoes, etc. in there as well - very handy for flying Ryanair where you can take 30kg of "bike" but are limited on the other bags Wink

(just don't put CO2 canisters in there...)

There is no secret ingredient...

Thanks to Wrexham Council for their support this year!
The Harley Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought from here: http://www.thebikeboxcompany.co.uk/

They do a couple of different types now, the service was excellent, next day delivery if i remember right.

No i don't have anything to do with them!!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a B&W bike box. It doesn't weigh a ton like many of them - so you can load it up Wink It comes with wheel bags, which also act as extra padding, and the road or TT bike fits in no problem. I travelled with a friend who borrowed a Scion, and the catches were coming undone all the time and it seemed unnecessarily bulky, mainly because of the way it stores the wheels in those side 'bubbles' mounted on skewers - which to me seems more likely to damage them if the box is dropped or mis-handled. Plus the skewers can protrude outside of the box which were hazardous.

B&W Box:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?24341
JimboP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Plus the skewers can protrude outside of the box which were hazardous.

bikeboxalan has the same issue doesn't it? easy to destroy skewers.

I've gone the other direction and use a bag (Aerus). Lighter, easier to pack and (touchwood) no issues in 5 flights. I've also managed to avoid paying any 'bike' fees with it too. It's so light you can sling it on your shoulder.
Scoobers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimboP wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Plus the skewers can protrude outside of the box which were hazardous.

bikeboxalan has the same issue doesn't it? easy to destroy skewers.

The skewers on the bikeboxalan are concealed by a moulding on the case. If fitted correctly it would be practically impossible to damage the skewers.
The box comes with support pole in the centre of the box which allows heavy loads to be put on the box without risking damage. The only issue with this is if you are running a disk wheel as the pole passes through the spokes.
mrchopsaloty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second what Scoobers said. I'm 99% likely to get a Bike Box Alan next week, having used one before. You'd have to be very unlucky to damage skewer (to be safe I'd use an old pair and keep my good ones elsewhere) and I think the design is good. If keeps the wheels secure on that side of the box and then straps keep the rest of the bike secure on the other side of the box so they don't damage each other.

Anyhoo, for non BBA the Polaris EVA pod is a good compromise between box and bag. Pretty light and tons of room. My only worry with it would be it compressing under heavy load (esp. other bike boxes if flying to a popular event). Likely it would be fine 95% of the time.
newarktricky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 - The bike box Lincoln Tri bought in March which I had first use of had the same design but we simply gaffer taped over the end of the skewer nuts just be on the safe side.

Looks like Jorgan is talking out of his arse again Wink

NT Very Happy Very Happy
jay clock

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BBA and love it. It replaced a cardboard box from a bike shop which allowed my bars to get bent. It has now done 5 trips and works amazingly well. I did get a bent skewer mind, so got another cheap pair (5 from Decathlon). Amazingly these weigh the same as the original Easton ones.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay clock wrote:
I have a BBA and love it. It replaced a cardboard box from a bike shop which allowed my bars to get bent. It has now done 5 trips and works amazingly well. I did get a bent skewer mind, so got another cheap pair (5 from Decathlon). Amazingly these weigh the same as the original Easton ones.

What was that about me talking arse NT? Finger
ineedanoriginal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BBA and have used it a fair few times in the last year. A few words of caution though:
1. Although the design is good, I was not overly impressed with it: on mine there are some substatial gaps in the overlap of the 2 sides of plastic when you close it (big enough for someone to get their hand in).
2. If you want to transport a disc wheel, forget it. The box uses a metal pole to provide the lateral support to stop it getting crushed. This pole fits between the spokes on your wheels (the wheel spokes overlap so it goes through both wheels) - a disc would not allow this pole to be used and thus liable to damage.
3. Despite its claims, i unfortunately found it was still susceptible to damage internally. On my last trip I discovered (albeit outside of the time limit imposed by airlines) that my Zipp 808 wheel was irrepairably damaged by a spoke being pulled through the carbon rim, probably by excessive loading on top of the box (or sudden impact) in transit. Given how much i paid for the box and the cost of a new wheel, i wasn't particuarly happy.

I have used various boxes previously but found them too heavy, too big for a car and that they still got damaged. I have also used a soft bag and have been lucky enough to be happy to have done so.

I guess my point is, that unless you drive/fly/cycle your own car/plane/bike to whereever you need to go to, there is no 100% solution to this problem. Buy a new bike each time you travel somewhere seems to be the obvious solution in my opinion Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, with a bit of farting about, that B&W case I linked to will fit (flat) in the boot of a Subaru Legacy estate with the back seats in place! So no doubt it would fit in a Passat, Volvo V70, E Class estate etc and you can put the rest of your luggage on top of it. You wouldn't be able to do that with a Skoda Octavia Estate, even if it did think it was an Audi RS Rolling Eyes Wink
dubbs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimB. wrote:
I borrowed a Scicon box recently - excellent, loads of room inside so I could stash my helmet, wetsuit, shoes, etc. in there as well - very handy for flying Ryanair where you can take 30kg of "bike" but are limited on the other bags Wink

(just don't put CO2 canisters in there...)

Good point, I assume there's no way of travelling with CO2 canisters andnyou mustnalways buy them at the event location?

London Marathon (April)
Windsor Triathlon (June)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: