Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Handlebars - hills vs flat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Handlebars - hills vs flat Reply with quote

Guys, need your advice....

My racing bike is currently set up with bull horn aluminium handlebars (with brakes) and syntace c2 tri bars with bar end shifters at the end. So, I change gear ONLY on the aerobars.

Only bought the bike end of last season and have found this year that on the flat it is terrific, BUT on the hills I dont seem to have as much control as I did on my ex-racing (now training) 1200 trek with the normal hoods+drops. Can you explain the reason for this??

I currently have my bull horns at an angle of say 30percent from the horizontal.

With HimUK fast approaching, as well as possibility of another hilly sprint tri, I need to know what I can do to help get up the hills. I also find it hard now trying to get right down over the bars (as dont have hoods) for descents, etc. Sad

I was wondering whether it might be worth investing in a spare, second hand carbon handlebar with drops for just this purpose? I can quite easily swap them with bull horns without affecting the tri bar/gear system set up at all. The use of drops would be useful esp for getting aerodynamic/low, BUT would this help with hills or do I need hoods for the extra grip? And if so, can you buy hoods (or something similar) that dont have gear system attached - still trying to save a few granmmes!! Very Happy
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get shimano brakes with hoods quite cheap, around 15 or less for the pair. They would not be high spec, but it depends what you want I suppose. These could easily be fitted to a new set of drop handlebars
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. The thing is I just want the grip you get from the hoods. Im not actually going to be using the gears because its all linked up to the bar end shifters. Maybe there is something else I could just attach to the drops to give me a good grip for the hills,..
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you can get things like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2182999702&category=420 those hoods on there own, but I guess it depends on the structure of the existing brake lever as to whether it would fit securely
Cougie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bars are just too low for the hills I reckon. Not suitable at all for climbing or descending.

Do you have a road bike you train on ? I'd use that rather than faff round swapping bars over.
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do yeh but seems a shame to waste a v good racing bike because of a few hills. The other is a TRek 1200 which is quite a lot heavier BUT feels good going up and down hills.
I could always just swap the wheels on trek for the carbon beams on the racer. what you think? do you think it'll make a better difference?
Cougie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz - from what I hear, its a pretty hilly course. I wouldn't do that on my LoPro. And its what 50+miles ? So you need to be comfy on the bike.

I'd do it on the drop barred training bike. I wouldn't bother with carbon fibre bars, especially second hand - you don't know where they have been, and what's happened to them. I'd much prefer a slightly heavier alloy bar (that weighs almost nothing anyway, and save my pennies)
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might do that coug. the beams i mentioned are 4-beam carbon wheels. they are fine for my racing bike.
looking at the course though there only seems to be one long up-hil section
Cougie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the bike leg of Ironbridge Tri on Sunday. Route looks fairly lumpy so I'm doing it on my road bike. Pity, as I have Deep Rim Cosmics on my Lo-Pro, but I think they are much more suited to the usual TT courses. Tri courses seem to be much hilllier though - prob due to the difficulty of getting them near to water maybe ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: