Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
BoskMan 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanperu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: BoskMan 2012 Reply with quote

Anyone else out there entering?

As it's on the same day as the ForestMan this year, I presume a few of you will be out on course at the same time.

Having done almost nothing apart from get fat since the Vitruvian in 2009 (my longest race and only HIM), I've rather foolishly signed up for this one. Mainly as we were looking at alternatives to Centre Parcs for a week's break and Sandy Balls cropped up as an option. A quick google later found me considering the BoskMan to do during our stay.

I know that this will be signifianctly harder than the Vit, but can anyone give me any sort of comparisons about the bike leg? How much harder than 3 laps of the bike leg at the Vit is the BoskMan likely to be?

Presume lots of hill reps is about the only way to train for the run too...

Hope to see some of you there!
LapsedRinger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the time when someone asked 'what gears do I need for the hills at Wimbleball' and got the answer 'trainers', i.e. the hills you need to worry about are on the run, not the bike. (Cycle is more rolling than hilly).

I'd love to do it, but it falls in the middle of the only fortnight when I can get abroad this summer. So I'll be cycling up a mountain instead.
barnetrose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it last year, and it was a windy day which made the bike course seemed harder than it probably was, and the wind was significant enough for the bike cut-off to be extended (btw I don't know if the bike course is even the same this year, as The Boskman was a standalone race last year). Yep you need to be comfortable with hills, but it's not THAT much harder than 3x the Vit as long as the wind isn't blowing from the north!

Personally I loved the run and although there are some steep hills (which you might consider power-walking up) they are fairly short and there are some nice flat stretches too, particularly on the 2nd out-and-back. I didn't think the run course was that tough but then I am not a runner and not going for good times.

It's a beautiful course, I was over-awed by it the entire way round. It felt a little lonely, would be my only negative, but you'll have the Forestman lot to bulk up the numbers.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't say that much in it between vit n bosk bike. Dunno if both events list the ascent stats etc. Good move to fit the event in with your stay, at the rather fab Sandy Balls it'll be a blast. Thumbs Up
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
zl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Wouldn't say that much in it between vit n bosk bike. Dunno if both events list the ascent stats etc. Good move to fit the event in with your stay, at the rather fab Sandy Balls it'll be a blast. Thumbs Up
Not sure about current Bosk course but I'd say it was slightly harder than the Vit but not much. Apart from the ripple Vit doesn't have much change in elevation much of rest is pretty flat. Bosk when I did it seemed to roll more and there was the sharp climb up a narrow road to a church early on when you then turn and head for fast downhill minding the donkeys of course which seemed to like that stretch. Also the climb out in NoMansLand or whatever its called both climbs struck me as harder than anything on Vit. But I got round and I don't really do hills so not that hard
alanperu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed for some decent weather.

Have been watching the race day videos on YouTube for the ForestMan to get an idea about the race and the course. It looks like a really great race and I know loads of you love the ForestMan. Maybe I'll be able to head back in a year of two for the full version (assuming I can drag my ass round the BoskMan first).

On a separate note, where is the best place to book Sandy Balls? I know we can book direct, but I also found it loads cheaper through Hoseasons (who now don't have any more availability for that week). Just wondering if there are any places I can check before we have to think about booking direct...
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would email or call SB, ask for Del or Jen, mention you are game to do Bosk and want to stay at SB with family too, maybe explain about hoseseasons prices etc, and you might get lucky. Del is the game chap who fell off his bike wearing the head? cam in the FMan vid Laughing
He's the manager there, and as nuts on NF tri as the rest of us. :thumbsup.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
Percula

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a bump more than anything, I'm in on this one as I have Chickened out on Forestman Sad
alanperu

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of trying to decide if I'm going to bail out of this one. Simply not got enough training done due to work pressures over the last few months.

It looks from the T&C's that I can either get a 50% credit or try and sell my place.

Does anyone want an entry going cheap?
alanperu

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decision made!

Entry for sale here:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1382926#1382926

Gutted to miss this one, but I need to be realistic at the same time.

Best of luck to any of you guys doing this one (or the ForestMan).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: