Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Celtman!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bainsy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmon all - detail ??

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Fix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini race report on the way back home, feet up on the dashboard typing wiht one finger on my phone whilst my missus/support crew / running buddy is driving.

We had several issues to deal with just prior the race with friend allensr having to drop out, training interrupted by work (no bike training for 3 weeks, lots of travelling and jet lag) and missus last minute work commitment. Eventually everything was ready friday night. We stayed with doonhamer and support crew in a bunk house.

Up at 2am to drive down to the start. The weather was rather good and the midges were having their breakfast... Hop on a bus to the start were a celt sign was burning. They announced that the water was 'colder than they would have liked' and the swim was shorten by bypassing the trip around the first island. Sensible compromise. And boy, it was cold! Which didn't seem to bother the numerous jelly fish. It touched a few, including one right into my hand, but i didn't got stung. Navigation was not very easy as there no very clear landmark to sight for a while.

Arriving in T1 the exit was hard because of the alguaes, the stones, and the body was not responsive. I cut my big toe there, but never felt it until running at T2.
I got out and stumbled up to my bike were i found doonhamer 'faffing' with his crew. To be fair we were all so cold it was hard to do anything. I got a massive cramp in both hamstrigs trying to get out of my wetsuit. Eventually after my longest T1 ever i got on my bike for the first hill of the day ... 100 m from the start, just to get in the mood and to warm up (thaw may be more accurate). A couple of km after doonhamer past me.

I had planned to meet my support crew at 27km to get rid of a jacket and get a bottle. Nobody there at the junction, only the marshalls! Good start Sad . Doonhamer crew saw me and as we were staying 100m from there they turned around and told my missus. What happened is that they underestimated how slow they were overtaking all the competitors on narrow single twisty lanes. Anyway, hiccup solved. The course is ondulating for roughly the first 105 km were there is the only long climb. However the course is relentless, up and down and twisting. The weather was fine, not much wind, but on a windy day the course is very exposed. For the last 80km the roads are mostly flat. I felt tired at about 130 km and decided not to push as I was well on time for the cutoff and wanted to save my legs. The support from all the crews was fantastic, extremely friendly. The non-stop work from the crews is amazing. They have to leap frog us, get ready for whatever we want, wait and guesstimate when we arrive, etc. Did I mentioned that the midges now had brunch and lunch on the crews? Very hard work. For the last 30km I was battling a storm and headwind.

I arrived in T2 soaked, which did not seem to bother the midges who had a proper feast there. Celtman banquet! The first part of the run goes to Coulin pass via forest road. Some managed to run it, my legs had another opinion. Reaching the top there a beautiful slight dowhilll on a track on the wildernes. Very pretty and I stopped few times to take pictures. The legs felt better and I arrived well on time at T2A to start the major climb with my now 'running' buddy. We didn't run much though.

I started the climb feeling strong, but it was only a swan song. I felt really tired after a third of the climb. The legs were fine but my energy level was seriously low. We soldiered up and eventully reached the top in the clouds (no midges there, they are not creazy). Unfortunatly it stayed covered all the time and visibility was about 20m at best. Progress was slow with a lot of rocks and boulders to negociate. We reached the second top were sb3 was having a nap, or sunbathing maybe. The drop into the scree was fun if you know what you are doing. Otherwise, watchout! The last bit of to reach the road took forever. Again some are able to part of it, but after catching my foot a couple of times and nearly falling we decided it was not safe in my fatigued state and we simply power walked.

Reaching the road for the final 6-7km was nice. Strangely my legs were ok and i ran well. I arrived in Torridon tired, slower then expected, but extremely happy to have finished this race which will become legendary, if it's already done.
Well, it seems I had more things to say than I thought!

edited for typo

Last edited by Fix on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
GeordieM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to all competitors! The weather was most kind in the end considering the conditions only a hundred miles to the south. Personally, I had a great day stood up on the Coulin Pass feeding you all - 7 hours passed very quickly in the end Very Happy

I've uploaded a selection of the better photos I took to Facebook HERE. I've not made a Facebook album "Public" before so let me know if the link fails to work...

GM
esox.flucius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murraymonster wrote:
What an amazing day! Fabulous course and great atmosphere. Had a great race until the climb up Beinn Eighe, when the wheels fell off a bit. Still, managed to get a second wind and even found time to propose to my girlfriend (who was supporting me) atop Ruadh Stac Mor! Smile

Congratulations, I couldn't imagine a more romantic place or moment, for you to have proposed... Probably cost a couple of minutes, so a bit dubious from that point of view... Wink

On a personal note, I bagged a Blue Tshirt, made some fantastic new friends and shared an experience that none of us will ever forget. Awesome.

Well done to the organisers for making a truly monstrous and epic event, the locals who were exceptionally welcoming, and the spirit and friendship of fellow competitors AND their support. If anyone wonders about doing this event, don't think about it just sign up.

What a great bunch the TT massive were that I met, well done fellow Celtmen.
lj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ's CELTMAN! Race Report

Its over! Yaay! What a long day out. It was EPIC.

We travelled from Aberdeen on Friday morning and got registered, and it was quite exciting seeing all the gnarly endurance sinewy folk. What am I doing here... eek Smile

Race day! I went outside at 3am to feel the air - tiny breeze (almost zero), warm ish for Scotland (12 or 13 deg), dry - perfect. In the van off to the start, actually locating the sign on location was a bit of a mare and parking even more so. A bit of signeage would have been ace - but anyway we got there. I said cheerio to my brill crew, made sure the bike was in place and I knew where to go. Then onto the coach to the swim start. I get really annoyingly hyper and ramble on non-stop when nervous so I tried to not sit next to anyone who looked like a silent serious focussed type. Fortunately I found the lovely Skaaj who was also on his first iron-dist race so we chatted away. The ride was actually quite nervous, zooming round sharp narrow bends and steep drops!! But maybe my race nerves were just transferring to everything else.

The swim itself was just amazing. Mick W-W's link to his report on the celtman FB page says it all. I was scared I'd be so cold I wouldn't manage it. My swimming itself is fine, but on a couple of training swims at Knockburn I had been so cold I couldn't function properly afterwards so I worried how would I manage to dress and cycle 126 miles... (well, I don't do gadgets but Mick's garmin said 126 apparently!).

We were piped to the start and had a cool fire display of the Celtman logo, very cool and very momentus for me on this huge personal challenge. It was lovely to meet SB3, Fix and Doonhammer prior to the swim and also ejls123 or similar... sorry chief can't recall the exact avatar...

Anyway - got in. BRRRRR bloody cold and according to post race gossip was 10 degrees. Effin cold. But BEAUTIFUL, clear, sharp, fresh, amazing. I loved it.... until I saw the first jellyfish!!! They were clearish round ones, not too big and fairly infrequent but nonetheless I was scared of sticking my hand in one or worse getting one on the face, Alien style. The water was so clear though that you could see and avoid them if you weren't following feet. I was in a small gang of 4-5 so I just stayed on the edges of the group and kept the eyes peeled. I think I could have swum much faster if not for adopting a 'face forwards' technique to avoid them. I half felt sorry for these slow, graceful creatures getting trashed by a load of rubber-clad humans, and part scared of smacking into the middle of them.
The kayakers were nearby and so I felt quite safe. It was so lovely (apart from mild jelly watching); the sun started shining through and it was GLORIOUS. I cruised along with minimal effort and really, really enjoyed the swim, it was super, what a location.
Getting out was another matter. It was so clear you could see all the underwater plants and I'm sure a small starfish-type gadge too!! But it was also stony, seaweedy, slippy and I was mega dizzy. After a few attempts I got up and Phil was there to help me along to the bike. There were loads of people cheering and clapping (well, at least 10).
swim: 52:37 Very Happy

9 mins in T1 - gosh its hard getting dressed even with a helper - and an interview with Adventure show's Desiree Cool

Bike was great - what a lovely challenging course with lots of climbs, wee villages with brill support - esp Gairloch, and nice downhills. Most important - almost no wind, sunshine and clouds mixture = PERFECT
I was dreading the bike as its my weakest section, but despite fretting like mad that I wasn't trained enough for it, my coach Ken had got it bang on (of course, doubting thomas that I am) and I was flying along (for me!) as usual the TT beast flew past but I didn't panic, its a long day in the saddle and my sole aim was to make Garve by 1pm, T2 by 3pm and thus T2A by 5pm and make the mountain cut off.

My worry was caused by doing a recce in April starting from Torridon round the course to Kinlochewe.. so missing about 16 miles.. and that took 8 hours so I knew the T2A target was a stretch.

But on the day, first 2 hours were tough but after that I felt good! Zoom zoom and even overtook a couple of pointyhatted men!!! Twisted Evil
I met my support 3 times, they were brill with snacks, water top up and delicious fruit loaf baked by Ingrid. The fruit loaf was so good. I had bagels & jam, banana, snickers and a handful of fruit pastilles for the first 4 hours, then at the first stop with the crew we refilled out the drinks (Nuun & High5) and got a new bagel (cheese & ham) and 2 slices of the cake Chew

I met them again after the Garve turn off for a last bottle stop and MORE CAKE. I enjoyed the bike overall apart from the last stretch from Achnasheen to Craig which seemed to take forever and I took a long time covering the last short distance. A wind had sprung up and the rain started so I had a bit of a black patch. But also this was going beyond the distance I had ever covered before so the diesel tank had run low! But on the plus side I was well under the cut-off I had self-imposed. I was through Garve turn 45 mins pre-target.. woo Smile
I was on a Ridley Orion road bike, no TT bars. They're for girls Smile
Bike: 7hrs 51mins.

The first run stage was ok - I jogged a bit at first but then it kicked steepishly up through the forest and I walked 90% of that. Upon reaching the top though it was BRILL downhill and I zoomed down stopping only to stuff my face with pretzels at the aid stops. On the flat I slowed down and finished that section in 2hrs 7 which was surprisingly slow I thought, having expected to do it much faster. Hey ho - good thing I had my time cushion. But this bit was scenic and the sun was shining, and my legs felt ok. Onwards!
I met the crew at the road and Ingrid joined me running. Phil took my bag and we covered the 2km to the mountain start where the kit check was completed and off we went! eek. I had been half hoping the weather would close in so I wouldn't have to go up. No such luck. But also I would have felt a bit cheated after all, this is what I came for...

The mountain stage was a nightmare. The climb was ok, just tiring and slow, but after we reached the first peak, visibility was maybe 100m and the path was big sharp rocks with an indistinct 'path' which frequently stopped and you had to cast about. We followed folk and had no idea if it was the right way. It was not runnable. This went on forever until a lady competitor passed us with her support! WHAT! I knew I was sitting forth and this was not a welcome development. But this coincided with the steeper, tricky parts of the race, along the edge of the shoulder then up to the munro checkpoint. The marshall here told us '500m to the top'... 15 mins later.. not funny.
Don't mess with people's heads when they are chinstrapped.
Anyway we then played ping pong with the lady all the way down a ridiculously dangerous descent and then horrific boulder field with no path whatsoever, just picking our way and thank god for the two guys just ahead who knew the way, as the low cloud meant you couldn't see to orientate the way. Scary and later chats at the end found that some people had inevitably got a bit lost. We would have if the lovely men hadn't been there. FINALLY we came to a marshall who set us on the path. We then made better time and caught the lady to regain 4th Very Happy Yay team!! This was great!

Ok - it took flipping ages to do that bit. It was boring. Slow, Hard, and not a running race - not fun. I was all grouchy and moany! The last runnable bit was ok but the whole top section and scree descent was not good. Even on a nice day the terrain isn't suitable for running really.
Back to the road THANK GOD and 7km with 70% jog, 30% walk to the end!! Run was 07hrs 42 altogether. Rubbish! But the majority of runs were 6, 7, 8 , 9 hours so its not as bad as it seems out of context.

All in all - 16 mins ish in transition!!!

16 hours 41 for the race. 4th lady.

66th overall which I am really pleased with - there were only 9 ladies and 120 odd racers overall.

An epic, great day out in a beautiful part of the world, and an incredible challenge. The only slight spoiler was the non-runnable aspect of parts of the second run section. I genuinely don't think I am being a wimp/ cop out saying this but let's see what the other race reports say. Some people were on the mountain for TEN HOURS.
I wanted to RACE not pick my way through rocks.

The best bits - the swim was awesome - I was most scared of it and I loved it. The bike was beautiful and just the right challenge. Run was.. mixed.

Organisation was brill, pitched just right (i.e. not for softies and not pandering to the fannies) and the marshalls unfailingly brilliant and encouraging.
Thanks to Paul and Stuart for a great event - I hope this is the beginning to something awesome Very Happy
LadyboyHarv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you where at the first aid station then Geordie...if so we had a chat, and I took a piccie! Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

My race report will take the form of a video from the day...it will take me a few days but should be worth the wait...got plenty of pics/footage throughout the day, and will hopefully catch the actual race day feeling and give any future entrants some idea of what to expect!

Great to put the faces to some of the tri talk 'usernames'...Esox, doom, murrym, LJ, SB3...everyone seemed in really good spirit and from what I could tell, finished?

Massive congrats MM, I didn't realise it was you, when it was mentioned...awesome effort from you both, you didnt apear nervous when we bumped into you about 20 minutes before you popped the question up in the clouds!!!'...and popping your ironman cherry to!

Awesome effort LJ, you seemed really happy as you crossed the finish line, about 5 secs in front of me!
lj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBH! I felt really bad when i realised you were just finishing- I hadn't seen anyone ahead so assumed you were cruising to the bar! What a cow. I hope you enjoyed it, you had a massive crew! Loved the hoodies Smile
I was so glad it was over!
LadyboyHarv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cruising to the bar, i had been since t2!

LOL, thats no problem at all...I spent probably an hour during the day stationary, just taking picies and shooting video! My 'plan' was to enjoy the swim then give the bike a good hard nudge to ensure I then had all the time I wanted to make the cutoff at t2a. I got off the bike in around 6.35, after a 52 min swim, so had 3.5-4 hours to spare...so treated myself to the most amazing 42 walk...and just took it all in. Simply stunning place to be.

Funny thing, Nikki my support crew was taking photos at the swim exit, and after seeing you did a similar time to me, I just checked, and bingo...you are right there in the pic! I'll email over if you want to see!
sb20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full report to follow later

My best guess on times

Swim - slow as expected - 1.07? It was soooo cold.
T1 - 7 mins?
Bike - 7:20
T2 - 8 minutes
run 1 - 2 hours - Great Cake GM - thanks, but see below. The Al Quieda? man over took me though!
run 2 - 6!! hours

total time 6:42? 69th.

High point - the most spectacular scenary and wonderful atmosphere -cheers lady boys!
Low point. Eating to much of GM's glorious cake - so stomach stut down and I bonked just before T2a. So a 2 hour ascent. But at least i met everyone as they walked passed me as i lay on the ground.

Then got very lost up top in the fog and bumped into many TT'ers and walked with LJ for a while as we found our way round back.

The decent was crazy! we went down with LJ and with the"other girl" I will post a photo later to show how gnarley. Blind leading the blind!

Top day, but as the lady who won (3x Norseman winner) said to me afterwards when i asked which was harder, CM or Norseman? - "Norseman is a Tri, this is more like an adventure race, so they are both very hard but not so comparible". Like many I was expecting a Tri and less climbing and enforced walking, but life is richer for its suprises!
First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!
andyb99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys...first off....congratulations to all finishers...WHAT AN EVENT THIS IS!!!!
second....congratulations to the newly engaged couple...thats some story to tell your grandkids!!

I was a support runner for this race and sadly we didnt make the cutoff to go over the mountain....Mick had bad knee problems on the ride and had to peddle the best part of sixty miles using one leg....he toughed it out and i told him lies to get him off the bike then i knew he'd be ok.
i met him at T2a about 6 and i really wasnt prepared for what followed.

'do the low course they said....it will be fun they said'

it was the toughest 12 or so miles i've ever been on...just a boulder field all the way...streams to jump over...scramble up scramble down for 10 solid miles....4 hours later we made it and i felt a sense of achievement....cant imagine what you guys went through.

it was a great adventure and i'm sad for mick we didnt get over the top...though i'm a little relieved cause if i struggled so much on the low course the descent might have been a bit much for my inexperience on this type of terrain.
People have asked me if i fancy doing the full race....I dont think so

well done again to all who finished and well done to the organisers...from what i saw not a step was put wrong by them!!

SUCCESS
http://andysironmanattempt.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html
LadyboyHarv

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Ladyboys and TT'ers hook up for a pre race swim...bbbbrrrr!

It was a little choppy out there!

In the Beinn Eighe foothills... Shocked

...uhm...there's a path?

...this is fun for someone like me with a real fear of heights/edges! Crying or Very sad

Top of the second Munro...the venue for MurrayMonsters proposal Very Happy

Finally on our way down, the stunning Loch Coire

Of the 6 Ladyboys taking part...5 finished...but we all had a blast!

Vid to follow, hopefuly this time next week!
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope every one got home safely and is recovering well.

I cycled past a guy along the side of loch Mare who was Sat on the side of the road with his arm in what looked like a sling. There were a few people looking after him. Then an ambulance came up from Gareloch direction. Does anyone know what happened, and more importantly is he OK?

So many races so little time.
esox.flucius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos LBH, absolutely fantastic.

I one of the MRT guys said it was a broken clavicle, so nothing serious thankfully.
2016: Lakesman
lj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBH - yes please! I'll PM you my email address Smile
sb20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Photos from the SB3 theam Reply with quote

The day before with 4/5's of the swim shown behind and Benn Eighe in the background. What a stunning place.

Out of the freezing water, but look at the glam weather

The start of the bike

On the way up not there yet

Sun bathing and chatting to Fix and others

A nutty route down, LJ and crew behind?

Bottom of the scree run - again with LJ?

The view from the Lock C nearing the bottom

One of many hills we passed this one next to the photo above.

The long run home (this a run path!) before the road

First Tri an evening sprint in 2008 done a few since then inc 2x Roth, IM Wales, 2x Celtman, Alps d'Huez Long, O till O, Ceasers Camp 100 x2, Norseman, Ring O Fire, St Oswalds 100, Cambrian trail, 2 Race to the King, UTMB and so it goes on!

Last edited by sb20 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 71 of 83

Jump to: