Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Celtman!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 81, 82, 83  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KoC What a hero, well done Mate!

Thanks again Paul to you and your crew of organisers for an amazing day, the reputation for Celtman can only grow and grow from now on and I agree with Lj that the race will be oversubscribed next year.
My day started at 3 am when the guy who owns the B&B at Hillcroft got up to make me porridge. Not only that as I set off to walk the half mile in my wetsuit and flip-flops to coach pick up and sign in at Shieldaig he came after me in his car, and dropped me off there.
Consequently I was the first on the coach so chose the last coach at the back as I didn’t want to be standing around at the shore’s edge feeling intimidated by all these strapping athletes ready to go.

The swim was atmosheric and almost spirtual with the sun just rising over the mountains as we set off. The water was cold but invigorating and yes lots of jellyfish. Swimming is my weakest of the three disciplines so I was very chuffed that they had decided to cut the round the island bit. The tide obviously made a difference too as I finished in just under an hour and 10 minutes, a very quick time for me. Whilst swimming I kept having to tell myself that I was really doing this, after all the months, I was actually doing this.
I staggered out of the sea over the rocks and needed a bit of help from another swimmer. Getting changed was difficult with frozen hands and I was trying to avoid clenching my legs too much pulling off the wetsuit to not get cramp in my legs. Finally changed I walked out of T2 with my bike to be faced with a steep hill out of Shieldaig and realised I couldn’t change gears; my hands still had no feeling. Somehow I managed to get the chain into the bottom ring and I could get over the hill but my hands didn’t warm up for a good half an hour.

Apart from that I seemed to be making good progress until I passed the poor guy who had fallen off his bike and needed an ambulance to deal with him. That was a bit unnerving and my heart went out to him after all the training and time he must have put into the event. Not long after mu guts were telling me that I had made a mistake putting a pro-biotic yoghurt on my porridge that morning and the feeling wasn’t going away. Luckily no shortage of ditches to jump into and was back on my bike a half pound lighter and feeling the world was a better place.

It was a welcome sight to see the turning on to the Ullapool road as I was starting to feel tired and couldn’t get comfy anymore in the saddle. I passed Lj on her Ridley and shortly afterwards she passed me again shouting something at me, I couldn’t understand what she shouted as she was speaking in Scottish but probably something about effeminate English men. I had one last meeting with my support crew with a quick massage from my partner and I was soon turning off the downhill section of the Ullapool road to head towards T2. That had been a low point for me I was really tired at this stage and was questioning myself why I was doing this and telling myself I must never do anything like this again. But about five miles before T2 I overtook Lj again and I started to feel much better.

T2 was a very welcome site despite it being Midge central. Now I don’t mean to sound smug so I probably will but for the first time in my life the midges left me alone. The only thing I can put it down to is a week before I had started taking Vitamin B complex supplements. I was taking them because I had read that B vitamins help with turning carbs into energy more effectively but it also seems it has a welcome side effect concerning the wee beasties..

Because there was no wind on the bike course I had reached T2 ahead of schedule so decided I would walk up the big hill then run down the rest of the beautiful course to T2A. The pretzels at the aid stations were a very welcome sight after having nothing but sweet food and energy drink since 3 in the morning. Which reminds me; every time I looked at the time on my bike computer it always seemed that the time should have been 4 hours later on. At one point on the bike I couldn’t believe it was only 10 o clock in the morning when it felt like it should have been 2 in the afternoon.

I was chuffed at reaching T2A in time to go over the mountain but that was soon short-lived though when the task of actually getting over the mountain became a reality. Half way up the slope my support crew who had promised me he was fit enough said he had a cramp and thought he was going to have to go back down. Fortunately my partner had come along for the ride and took on the responsibility of support crew. It probably was a good thing it was so misty when we reached the top as she is very scared of heights and she had a big wobble going down the scree but we lived to tell the tale. At the lake at the bottom of the scree one on the wonderful, fantastic, generous, giving up their time- mountain rescue people said it was now just 4 km back to the road. That was the longest most tired, rocky 4 K, I had ever covered in my life, it was like the yellow brick road it just went on and on.

At 10.40 pm we reached the road so now it was just the small matter of getting back to Torridon. I don’t mind telling you it took me a few attempts to get my legs into anything like jogging mode, let alone run. I was determined to finish on the same day I started and was overjoyed when I saw the sign that said Torridon half a mile. So I finished my first Iron ‘like’ triathlon at 11.30 PM and the Scotch broth and garlic bread had to be one the tastiest, most delicious meals I had ever had.
ejls2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on getting round. I was rather chuffed to be finishing an ironman the day after I started but there you go ;-)

Drifting wrote:
Swimming is my weakest of the three disciplines so I was very chuffed that they had decided to cut the round the island bit.

I couldn't agree with this more. I actually hugged Paul as I was getting into the water for that little change :-)
Drifting

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers ejls! Cool

And well done on finishing yourself! Laughing
mrchopsaloty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been all the way through yet, can someone point me to the results? Can't seem to find them on website or facebook page.

Also keen to hear how folks who have done Norseman think they compare...
Fix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchopsaloty wrote:
Not been all the way through yet, can someone point me to the results? Can't seem to find them on website or facebook page.

Also keen to hear how folks who have done Norseman think they compare...
Google man!!!
http://www.durtyevents.com/uploads/9/4/4/5/9445925/celtman_2012_provisional_results.pdf
Paul McG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant wee race video here by our pal Robby - keeps bringing a lump to my throat when I watch it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pefp1H4cPA

Cheers

Paul
mrchopsaloty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul McG wrote:
Brilliant wee race video here by our pal Robby - keeps bringing a lump to my throat when I watch it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pefp1H4cPA

Cheers

Paul

Brilliant indeed. Good to see several Norsemen racing, Spike's in there, plenty of Stuart smashing the bike and of course Suzanne.
kingofcalifornia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, amazing videos by Robby! Great choice of Chicane track too, I'm sure I was listening to Barefoot when I signed up Smile
Pugwash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lj wrote:
'time spent on recce is seldom wasted' - never more true than in this race

So true in my case! God knows what I was upto on the mountain! Got to T2a in under 10hrs got totally lost in the clouds (twice) and got home after 16hrs. But I'm putting this down to blood loss after all the midge bites, and not the lack of race recce Idea

Have to say. This was without question the hardest race I've even done. But I loved every bit of the whole weekend. Paul, you and all the race team, mountain rescue and locals were simply brilliant! We stayed in a 'home stay' in the village, where we were made to feel so welcome. It was like a home from home, they even came to see me finish.

Ps There seems to be a bug on the CXTri site when you click 'enter now' Very Happy Wink
murraymonster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Epic race reports! Really enjoyed reading them. Think everyone had a pretty spectacular day in so many ways.

Thanks for all the best wishes too - it has been an emotional and utterly unreal few days. Great to meet so many TTers too. Everyone: competitors, supporters and volunteers alike were so friendly and encouraging. This is by far the most memorable race I have ever done...for many reasons! Wink

Recovering bodily and mentally from the day. The soon to be Mrs Murraymonster and I headed up Beinn Aligin today and had stunning views of the surrounding mountains and of Ruadh Stac Mor and the rest of Beiin Eighe. We could also see the "Low Route" in the valley bottom - respect to everyone that made it through there and completed the race - not an easy option!!! Both a bit sore but the weather was so good today that we couldn't resist getting in a Munro.

Will also post a full race report once I am home and have the pics to go with it.

All the best.

Iain
Chris G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My race report is on my club's forum:

http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=14480.0
kingofcalifornia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBH, I didn't realise it was you! You were looking remarkably fresh considering you'd already conquered the mountain! Can't wait to see the video report Very Happy
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reports, I'm waiting to get a few photos & hope to do something long, rambling & self indulgent soon.

Good to meet up with many of you others over the weekend

Chris G, that was a great time. I think with that dodgy calf you paced yourself much better than I did, I hammered the pass - probably passed you - & paid for it on the mountains Rolling Eyes . I think I was sat opposite you at the end of the race as you were getting your pasta down. You weren't very chatty Very Happy .

Ladyboys were all over the place, my wife is fascinated with your nose Harv Very Happy

esox.flucius, great to meet you fella. What an excellent family you have.

Fix, completely irrepressible, never shuts up/sits down......absolute nightmare to share accomodation with Very Happy .

Murraymonster, you gave us one of the most beautiful touchy-feely moments of the weekend. Best wishes.

lj, wins the smiliest person of the weekend award.

sb3, I had 3 CO2 on my person all Friday & Sat morning. Sorry I'd cahnged my mobile - I thought I'd texted you the new number - but glad you got sorted.

In the absence of Ironman Tracker, my wife & parents were updating my daughter, who - unbeknown to me - was using my log-in on the club forum to keep everyone updated. It's quite amusing;

http://www.wrecsamtri.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2093

Obviously she's been grounded since I got home Very Happy .
LadyboyHarv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingofcalifornia wrote:
LBH, I didn't realise it was you! You were looking remarkably fresh considering you'd already conquered the mountain! Can't wait to see the video report Very Happy

Its easy to look fresh when you've walked 42km! Very Happy

Vids coming along, although I am taking pics from all kinds of sources as well as my own, so need to sort out some 'permissions' before making public...but I'm hopng that won't be a problem. As usual, a bit tongue in cheek...the first 1/3rd done so far, its amazing how long it takes to actually put something together!

Last edited by LadyboyHarv on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyboyHarv

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:

Ladyboys were all over the place, my wife is fascinated with your nose Harv Very Happy

LOL...thats 15 years of playing rugby for yah...and would you believe, I have had an operation to straighten it to, and that is the result, you should have seen it before...the tip of my nose used to be under my left eye!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 73 of 83

Jump to: