Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin not offering a repair service
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Garmin not offering a repair service Reply with quote

I cracked the screen on my garmin 910XT yesterday on the side of the pool, which is a bit of a bugger...

unfortunately garmin arent offering a repair service for this, but are offering a replacement for 150.

Does anyone know of anyone able to offer a repair service to replace the glass?

It seems a bit steep to have to put out 150 for something that would be relatively simple to replace if you had the parts.

However that's still cheaper than buying a new watch, and I do use it in the pool to monitor my swims, and I'm sure that repeated immersion in water will cause it to fail eventually.
N11sml

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck

It was the same with the 310XT. I dropped mine and broke the glass. The cost was 105 I think. Not great when its a fault with the watch. It should be able to take a little bit of punishment.

I think it happens when you drop it on the weak spot which is a corner. Mad
markie r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a fault with the watch, it's a fault with dipshit owners who drop them on hard surfaces ffs. if you crash your car into a tree, is that a fault with the car?
TM01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
It's not a fault with the watch, it's a fault with dipshit owners who drop them on hard surfaces ffs. if you crash your car into a tree, is that a fault with the car?

I came off my bike wearing my 310 and hit it hard the result is a few deep scratches on the lens but it still works fine, personally I cannot see its a design issue.
markie r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM01 wrote:
markie r wrote:

I came off my bike wearing my 310 and hit it hard the result is a few deep scratches on the lens but it still works fine, personally I cannot see its a design issue.

egggzackerley
N11sml

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that. I Spoke to a rep who said they have loads back, its something then know they need to improve on!! So if they need to improve on this, does this make it a weakness in the product!!

Now if this was a car, As one of you said and you crashed it then correct it would not be a manufacturers fault. Well done great logic. First Place for you.

However If you hit the tree and your air bag does not go off then who's fault is that, you for hitting the tree or the manufacturer for not providing a suitable product. I am sure you would be on the phone to the motor company asking for some compo. Hopefully you would be ok from the crash and would be able to call the motor company.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N11sml wrote:
Funny that. I Spoke to a rep who said they have loads back, its something then know they need to improve on!! So if they need to improve on this, does this make it a weakness in the product!!

Now if this was a car, As one of you said and you crashed it then correct it would not be a manufacturers fault. Well done great logic. First Place for you.

However If you hit the tree and your air bag does not go off then who's fault is that, you for hitting the tree or the manufacturer for not providing a suitable product. I am sure you would be on the phone to the motor company asking for some compo. Hopefully you would be ok from the crash and would be able to call the motor company.

If you crash your car and the airbag doesn't activate then sure, the manufacturer has been negligent.

Is it reasonable for a sports watch to be able to survive an impact against a hard surface? That's less clean-cut. It's obviously a "nice to have" but unless Garmin highlight the rugged, impact-resistant nature of their products as a feature then I don't see that they can necessarily be held accountable when their watches don't bounce off the floor Wink

I know lots of people have broken the glass on these watches, but I wonder what proportion of watches sold meet this fate?
N11sml

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point well made.

The watch is marketed as SHOCK RESISTANT. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27335

A small drop to a pool side floor is a shock not a massive impact. I would class this as a shock.

As I said earlier, this was confirmed by Garmin if you drop it on the corner this is the weak point.

For 300 it should be able to take a small impact. It is marketed as an outdoor sports watch. If you do some sport with it, it will get some stick. It should be able to withstand this.
markie r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N11sml wrote:

For 300 it should be able to take a small impact. It is marketed as an outdoor sports watch. If you do some sport with it, it will get some stick. It should be able to withstand this.

was it an open air pool? Wink
bfd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
N11sml wrote:

no dipsh!t; it was while in use while swimming, rather than dropped. I've bashed it a few times on the surface and its not been a problem. This time it appears that I managed to catch it on the corner.

So apart from the acerbic comments, the answer is no, and its a 150 replacement fee.
markie r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfd wrote:
markie r wrote:
N11sml wrote:

no dipsh!t; it was while in use while swimming, rather than dropped. I've bashed it a few times on the surface and its not been a problem. This time it appears that I managed to catch it on the corner.

So apart from the acerbic comments, the answer is no, and its a 150 replacement fee.

sounds like you'd be better off with a g-shock.
N11sml

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes 150.00. Gutted for you. It is a great bit of kit and I hope your back up and running soon with it.
markie r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and swimming
GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N11sml wrote:

The watch is marketed as SHOCK RESISTANT. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27335

You do know what 'resistant' means don't you? its not the same word as 'proof'. It just means it will not break 100% of the time nor will it survive 100% of the time.
bfd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
and swimming

that might be pushing the term swimming, maybe foundering around is a more apt description.

I wouldn't mind if I didn't feel like I was being robbed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: