Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Best TT Bike Question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time2Tri wrote:
One that is comfortable and fits...

For a more sensible price range though with Di2 (need an excuse to get a TT bike as I like my old road bike), I have been looking at the Canyon and Team. Also waiting to see when Planet X and Boardman bring out the Di2 bikes..

On another point, not sure if I am a wimp or not, but because of the hills in the longer events, I am looking at compact gearing..

Only a "serious triathlete" would laugh at compact gearing

It is essential that you have the correct gearing for the way you cycle and the terrain you are covering

If that is a compact them so be it
recipher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the point now, where I'm looking for a few simple things from a bike:

* It *has* to look good (to my eye) - I like aesthetically pure bikes (which means I hate bikes covered in bottles and bento bags)

* It has to be aerodynamically proven to some extent (if I'm riding a bike, I want to have the added benefit of *knowing* I'm on a fast bike)

* It has to be easy to fit to *me* (not necessarily in the general case)

* The front end needs to be uncluttered - if I can get a straight stem to TT interface, then bonus

--

So, Shiv Pro is out because it fell off the ugly tree.

Giant Trinity doesn't *seem* to have particularly great aerodynamics, in comparison to the Shiv and the P5 at least. It might do, but I need to have more confidence than that. So, the Giant is out. Same for the Canyon - I'm just not convinced about it's aerodynamics.

I'm not sure if I like the P5 or not, aesthetically. It's better than the Shiv but still, it looks... heavy. The P3 is much prettier. However, it's old and I'd want something up-to-date.

The DA1, with a fixed, flat stem, would be towards the top of my list. If I could get a good fit, I'd probably choose that. Or the BMC, which is also very nicely put together.

DA1 is available at my LBS, BMC is Evans only. So, DA1 it is.
haych_seedy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggieboy wrote:
Time2Tri wrote:

For a more sensible price range though with Di2 (need an excuse to get a TT bike as I like my old road bike), I have been looking at the Canyon and Team. Also waiting to see when Planet X and Boardman bring out the Di2 bikes..

On another point, not sure if I am a wimp or not, but because of the hills in the longer events, I am looking at compact gearing..

It is essential that you have the correct gearing for the way you cycle and the terrain you are covering

I'm not embarrassed to say I have a triple on my road bike. Veggie is right - gear to the riding you do.
chunkytfg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggieboy wrote:
Time2Tri wrote:

Or you could have a selection of chainrings to suit the event you are doing? My TT bike has a 52/36 compact set up on it which with an 11 on the back is good enough for most and you have the option to put a 50 on it if your rides end up hillier

Oly PB=2.47.01 @18.5stone!

Will hopefully one day make 'race weight' !!
theprawn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compact gearing on my S1. I prefer it, once I get to the stage it's spinning out, approaching 30mph I'm happy to be soft pedaling and saving some energy for a harder bit of the course.

I have a really close range cassette as well so there's a big crossover between the big ring and the small ring. I find it helps on short courses with dead turns sharp ups over bridges etc. I rarely find myself in the wrong gear or in that horrible place where you can't quite match your gearing, cadence and speed and it all feels a bit wrong.

Just my 2p.
KDL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the answers I was looking for, but pretty pleased with the new rig.
theprawn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the whole thread was just a set up for a picture of your bike?

i'd have got one of the other ones.
TimmyG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theprawn wrote:

Maybe he was undecided and made the purchase in those 31 hours...

Sub17.net - TimmyG's Blog and Epic 2010 and 2011 Outlaw Race Reports

Coached by Coach Cox
KDL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a cheap shot of a thread!
But i did want to know how our community rated the options before showing my hand, apologies if its come across a bit selfishly. But you know how bike pirn can go to your head! Been a 8-10 week project this, daren't go out on it until its bone dry out there!

My plan is to fix it to the turbo over winter (with a trainer wheel), and follow a trainer road plan.
chunkytfg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theprawn wrote:

If I had that kind of budget to buy a bike and then a Mavic disc I think I may have gone for a better front wheel than the PX one!!

Oly PB=2.47.01 @18.5stone!

Will hopefully one day make 'race weight' !!
T-rex of Tri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyG wrote:
theprawn wrote:

Maybe he was undecided and made the purchase in those 31 hours...

The whole thing has been kinda hilarious... trying to get people to say how cool they think the Giant bike is to justify spending a lot on it and then no-one agreeing with you.

I mean it's a nice bike but it's not making me excited, I'd want some Di2 and a better front wheel if I was having a what money can buy bike to post on a thread.
knighty76

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theprawn wrote:
I have compact gearing on my S1. I prefer it, once I get to the stage it's spinning out, approaching 30mph I'm happy to be soft pedaling and saving some energy for a harder bit of the course.

I have a really close range cassette as well so there's a big crossover between the big ring and the small ring. I find it helps on short courses with dead turns sharp ups over bridges etc. I rarely find myself in the wrong gear or in that horrible place where you can't quite match your gearing, cadence and speed and it all feels a bit wrong.

Just my 2p.

Agree completely, pick whatever gearing suits your ride. Nothing wrong with a compact.

However - seems to me that if you need a compact for the terrain then you probably don't want to be on a TT bike anyway? Unless we are talking just a few short sharp hills on a mainly flatish course..
mrchopsaloty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knighty76 wrote:
However - seems to me that if you need a compact for the terrain then you probably don't want to be on a TT bike anyway? Unless we are talking just a few short sharp hills on a mainly flatish course..

Disagree. Norseman is a prime example of a famously hard course, one which I have no doubt I'm better off with a compact but also sure I'm faster on a TT bike than a road bike. Most tough courses are the same. What goes up must come down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: