Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tyler Hamilton reveals all.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
irondog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip wrote:
I loved Hamilton's book. Anyone who enjoyed it might also like Rough ride by Paul Kimmet and Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet. They are older than Hamilton's book but still very interesting.

Weird thing for me is that I was a huge Hamilton fan back in the day and despite reading the book I still am. Very illogical as I'm fervently anti doping..... Tyler comes across as someone who did what he perceived he had to do, and is pretty much unrepentant about it.

Rough ride is good, but I feel sorry for Paul K. He got into the Peloton, but found that he hated it. The drugs are a side story really in his book, the real story is just how hard and nasty the life of a domestique was/is. For another take on this era, try 'A dog in a hat'. Joe loves his cycling, and loved Flanders and the whole classics thingy.....
TimmyG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
pip wrote:
I loved Hamilton's book. Anyone who enjoyed it might also like Rough ride by Paul Kimmet and Breaking the Chain by Willy Voet. They are older than Hamilton's book but still very interesting.

Weird thing for me is that I was a huge Hamilton fan back in the day and despite reading the book I still am. Very illogical as I'm fervently anti doping..... Tyler comes across as someone who did what he perceived he had to do, and is pretty much unrepentant about it.

Rough ride is good, but I feel sorry for Paul K. He got into the Peloton, but found that he hated it. The drugs are a side story really in his book, the real story is just how hard and nasty the life of a domestique was/is. For another take on this era, try 'A dog in a hat'. Joe loves his cycling, and loved Flanders and the whole classics thingy.....

Breaking the Chain is fantastic, but now seems a generation behind the Tyler/Lance story.

I'll be controversial but I thought Rough Ride was just a bit too wingy - moaning on about the drugs in the pelaton when actually they should have put a bit more training in rather than laze around in their flat.

Another great book is "Tour de Force" by Danny Coyle who co-wrote the TH book. The two now make a good pair, as while the drug taking is inferred in the first book, Tyler's story tells all the unwritten story behind those events.

Sub17.net - TimmyG's Blog and Epic 2010 and 2011 Outlaw Race Reports

Coached by Coach Cox
irondog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyG wrote:
irondog wrote:
pip wrote:

Breaking the Chain is fantastic, but now seems a generation behind the Tyler/Lance story.

I'll be controversial but I thought Rough Ride was just a bit too wingy - moaning on about the drugs in the pelaton when actually they should have put a bit more training in rather than laze around in their flat.

Another great book is "Tour de Force" by Danny Coyle who co-wrote the TH book. The two now make a good pair, as while the drug taking is inferred in the first book, Tyler's story tells all the unwritten story behind those events.

Actually, I agree. 'Dog in a Hat' is not in the least bit whingy. Flanderian racing is hard, nasty and tough and Joe loved it. Learned the language, lived the life, a true Lion of Flanders!
markie r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:

So your 'fervently' anti doping (quite why God only knows) and yet you are still a fan of a man that not only doped, but moved teams to dope even more, and is also pretty unrepentant about what he did?

I like Tyler too, I met him once in Newcastle and he was nice, but I've got no problem with doping. I even like Ricardo Rocco's attitude tbh.
TimmyG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
TimmyG wrote:
irondog wrote:
pip wrote:

Actually, I agree. 'Dog in a Hat' is not in the least bit whingy. Flanderian racing is hard, nasty and tough and Joe loved it. Learned the language, lived the life, a true Lion of Flanders!

Dog in a Hat is great - almost surreal at times!!

Coached by Coach Cox
irondog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyG wrote:
irondog wrote:
TimmyG wrote:
irondog wrote:
pip wrote:

Dog in a Hat is great - almost surreal at times!!

Have you read his second book, where he returns to racing in the USA? I've not, but would like to get it as I like him and want to know more about him..... one for the xmas list maybe?
KDL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would second "Tour De Force" by Coyle, very interesting and well written insight into the pro peleton.

Loving Tylers book currently too. Funny, i'm just at the point in the book were Tyler describes in detail his first transfusion with LA during the 2000 tour: This morning i did a turbo session whilst watching an old DVD of the very same tour, Knowing what they were doing before the first big alpine stage was an amazing backdrop to watching the fireworks unfold.
AndyS..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDL wrote:
... i'm just at the point in the book were Tyler describes in detail his first transfusion with LA during the 2000 tour...

I think it's page 214 where the doping issue goes from gross to scenes from the exorcist. It's a good book.
TimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyS.. wrote:
KDL wrote:
... i'm just at the point in the book were Tyler describes in detail his first transfusion with LA during the 2000 tour...

I think it's page 214 where the doping issue goes from gross to scenes from the exorcist. It's a good book.

If that's the bad BB chapter, I agree it's a top read. As is the bit where he left Fuentes office too quickly to get back to the airport.

Coached by Coach Cox
jbwilliamz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyG wrote:
irondog wrote:
pip wrote:

Belgian Mix. Mental. Shocked

Sponsors - Triexercise - A perfect location for Ironman Wales
TimmyG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbwilliamz wrote:

Lol - search for Pot Belge on Ebay. I bet someone's selling it Wink

The most serious doping went on with the soigneurs and drivers!!

Coached by Coach Cox
jbwilliamz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimmyG wrote:
jbwilliamz wrote:

Lol - search for Pot Belge on Ebay. I bet someone's selling it Wink

The most serious doping went on with the soigneurs and drivers!!

What's worrying is, they didn't even know themselves what was in it! Shocked

Sponsors - Triexercise - A perfect location for Ironman Wales
K.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep coming back to this thread nervously expecting to see picks of Tyler Hamilton in the buff. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet.

I think I might read his book though (assuming there are no offending pics in it... Wink )
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been awarded William Hill Sporting book of the year!
irondog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Just been awarded William Hill Sporting book of the year!

Ironic, as I think LA's book won this award way back when Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: