Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Kona 2015 - "Chat room"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggieboy wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:
I see Gordon Ramsey DNF'd.

Not normally like me, but that made me smile this morning. Happy happy. Smile

The Germans call that Schadenfreude Wink

The English call it a F*****g tiddler

And obviously I didn't type "tiddler" ! Cool

But I'm still not going to swim
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
I must say, Andreas comes across as a really great guy ... maybe next year??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKF0J_vVeKs Smile

Photo doing the rounds with Raelert making the pass on Kienle, and dousing him with a sponge as he passes. Class guy, delighted he's made the podium as I thought it was over for him after last 2 years.
crumpy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
larmen wrote:
Raelert & Joyce, best athletes never to have won the big one (so far)?

Both have a few podiums, Raelert holds the 'world record', Joyce's sub 9s are significant under 9 hours.

Raelert is an easier call there; 2nd three times & 3rd twice. I think no matter how much 'love' there is for Frodo, there were an awful lot of people willing Andi Raelert to the front of that race, as the fairytale victory after so many podiums.

Jürgen Zack is also up there as one of the best men never to win Kona; he like many was around during the Mark Allen era (Pauli Kiuru too).

Jurgen did not win on Saturday either. 3rd in M50-54.
Nick Berry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurgen Zack - is he still going strong? What a machine. I remember him being a big guy, and an incredible biker - didn't he break the bike record on a Softride?

I'm really interested in how some people go on and on in this sport, Dave Scott is another example. But some people burn out or self destruct. What is it that makes the difference- biomechanics? Attittude? Luck? etc
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Jurgen Zack - is he still going strong? What a machine. I remember him being a big guy, and an incredible biker - didn't he break the bike record on a Softride?

Yes, in '93 iirc.

At Ironman Regensburg in 2011, I was on lap 3 of the run through the park, and there was this big blonde guy sat on a bench laughing & cheering people on. I had to look twice, and thought "fcuk me, that's Jürgen Zack!" Before that, I'd only seen him on the NBC shows in the 90s.

In fact, during my years in Germany, I got to see loads of the legends at various races, Faris, Hellriegel, Leder, the Raelerts it was great. My hometown race in Erding (sound familiar) was a hot bed of legends past & present. The second year I did the now defunct Amberg Tri, it was a season opener in a 50m pool...Timo Bracht turned-up and smashed everyone.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, always nice to know that if I wanted to qualify I'd be up against Ken Glah, Jurgen Zack and Richard Hobson

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggieboy wrote:
veggieboy wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:
I see Gordon Ramsey DNF'd.

Not normally like me, but that made me smile this morning. Happy happy. Smile

The Germans call that Schadenfreude Wink

The English call it a F*****g tiddler

And obviously I didn't type "tiddler" ! Cool

Is that Spamsey or me? Smile
crumpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

I'm really interested in how some people go on and on in this sport, Dave Scott is another example. But some people burn out or self destruct. What is it that makes the difference- biomechanics? Attittude? Luck? etc

For Richard Hobson, although you would have to ask him, I think he would say something like it is love of the sport, opportunity to coach people and see them improve, and balance this with bringing up a family.
crumpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Yep, always nice to know that if I wanted to qualify I'd be up against Ken Glah, Jurgen Zack and Richard Hobson

Lol. Not to qualify unless you get unlucky and they turn up at your event...to win a fruit bowl though is another matter : )
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

For Richard Hobson, although you would have to ask him, I think he would say something like it is love of the sport, opportunity to coach people and see them improve, and balance this with bringing up a family.

Zack and Hobson don't have children, and Scott & Allen both got divorced many years ago; what does that tell you Laughing A lot of it's genetics too, and staying injury free...although SUVs drivers haven't helped in Dave Scott's case.

But basically you have to live & breathe the sport.
Nick Berry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm thinking, maybe a special combo of great biomechanics and hard-wired enthusiasm for the sport. And I wonder if it is also about avoiding self-destruct somehow?

Just curious really, as I want to go on as long as possible. Each year that's becoming more important in my head than performing at a certain level
savaloy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
crumpy wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

Zack and Hobson don't have children, and Scott & Allen both got divorced many years ago; what does that tell you Laughing A lot of it's genetics too, and staying injury free...although SUVs drivers haven't helped in Dave Scott's case.

But basically you have to live & breathe the sport.

To be fair, Hobbo has two lads, but triathlon/sport is very much part of all (including Mrs Hobbo's) their lives
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Just curious really, as I want to go on as long as possible. Each year that's becoming more important in my head than performing at a certain level

I guess having a few easier seasons helps, but not taking your foot right off the gas. I reckon that's what Sav's doing now Wink

Savaloy wrote:
To be fair, Hobbo has two lads, but triathlon/sport is very much part of all (including Mrs Hobbo's) their lives

Ah, sorry, my error.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: