Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What smart TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: What smart TV Reply with quote

Thinking it might be time to go for one of these. Some have said don't buy from a shop but to go online. I haven't really got enough info on how to chose and I want a good bargain. Looking at one that will fix to a swing arm and fit neatly into an alcove so no bigger than 42". Anyone any advice?
EmileZola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What smart TV Reply with quote

sooooooooz wrote:
Thinking it might be time to go for one of these. Some have said don't buy from a shop but to go online. I haven't really got enough info on how to chose and I want a good bargain. Looking at one that will fix to a swing arm and fit neatly into an alcove so no bigger than 42". Anyone any advice?

Here are some reviews for 2016 models.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/10-best-40-and-42-inch-tvs-in-the-world-today-657803
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with most Smart TVs is that they aren't very smart and depending on what brand you buy you may find some streaming apps are missing. I have a Panasonic smart TV - albeit a few years old now - and although it has BBC on catch up, it doesn't have - or ever will have from what I can find - ITV catch up.

frankly get the best TV to suit your budget and then get either a Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV and hook that up so you can stream through your mobile or tablet. or hook up an old PC and use that for streaming.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
the problem with most Smart TVs is that they aren't very smart and depending on what brand you buy you may find some streaming apps are missing. I have a Panasonic smart TV - albeit a few years old now - and although it has BBC on catch up, it doesn't have - or ever will have from what I can find - ITV catch up.

frankly get the best TV to suit your budget and then get either a Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV and hook that up so you can stream through your mobile or tablet. or hook up an old PC and use that for streaming.

This - providing you've got a broadband package that offers enough download capacity to avoid running up some huge bills.

I've got a stupid TV, with the Amazon Firestick hooked up to it. It has wifi built in so you don't need to stream through another device. You can download all the catch up Apps onto it. If you have an Amazon Prime account, their tv, film and music content that comes with the fee is starting to pick up.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

This - providing you've got a broadband package that offers enough download capacity to avoid running up some huge bills.

I've got a stupid TV, with the Amazon Firestick hooked up to it. It has wifi built in so you don't need to stream through another device. You can download all the catch up Apps onto it. If you have an Amazon Prime account, their tv, film and music content that comes with the fee is starting to pick up.

I've got Chromecast and a Roku stick on dumb TVs in bedroom and kitchen just so I can get some decent coverage as I only have a satellite dish (but no Sky as I cancelled it recently) and no terrestrial mast but good internet and wifi so it's easy to stream to TVs around the house. it's only a pain when t'interweb goes down!

even though my lounge TV is smart, I've even stuck a Chromecast on that so I can at least watch stuff either not on Freesat or on Panasonic Viera.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live tv is a load. Get an iMac Smile
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have got 3 different smart TV's (Sony, Samsung and Panasonic). Distribute Virgin to them from a central media cupboard by HDBaseT 4K UHD Extenders over Cat 6, plus all TV's are separately connected to the internet via Cat and a Ubiquiti managed switch. The 3 virgin boxes are also networked to each

We put Cat6 throughout the entire house so that we can move TV to any room whenever we want

Works like a dream

But I'm still not going to swim
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggieboy wrote:
We have got 3 different smart TV's (Sony, Samsung and Panasonic). Distribute Virgin to them from a central media cupboard by HDBaseT 4K UHD Extenders over Cat 6, plus all TV's are separately connected to the internet via Cat and a Ubiquiti managed switch. The 3 virgin boxes are also networked to each

We put Cat6 throughout the entire house so that we can move TV to any room whenever we want

Works like a dream

enough about the bank, what hav you got at home Wink
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
veggieboy wrote:

Works like a dream

enough about the bank, what hav you got at home Wink

At home we have got a fridge with an electric shelf - it is the greatest invention ever

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gaggenau+fridge+motorised+glass+shelf&FORM=HDRSC3

But I'm still not going to swim
Owd Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contradiction in terms!

Smart & TV

I keep getting threatening letters. From some folk who call themselves 'TV Licensing'. They're upset because I don't have one of the things they flog; at extortionate prices.

I don't have a TV either.
FoulOleRon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owd Bill wrote:
Contradiction in terms!

Smart & TV

I keep getting threatening letters. From some folk who call themselves 'TV Licensing'. They're upset because I don't have one of the things they flog; at extortionate prices.

I don't have a TV either.

Are you consuming content over the intraweb Bill?
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say , in case anyone cares that is!...bought and installed a new Sky Box and with new smart TV, all really good. Great picture and operations are quicker and bonus is...old TV now linked up by Q box and we have double the viewing. Just hope that technology doesn't move on too quickly as I don't want to have to go through all this again.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooooooooz wrote:
Just to say , in case anyone cares that is!...bought and installed a new Sky Box and with new smart TV, all really good. Great picture and operations are quicker and bonus is...old TV now linked up by Q box and we have double the viewing. Just hope that technology doesn't move on too quickly as I don't want to have to go through all this again.

HDR tv?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: