Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What smart TV

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sooooooooz




Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 3069
Location: Bath and TrowVegas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: What smart TV Reply with quote

Thinking it might be time to go for one of these. Some have said don't buy from a shop but to go online. I haven't really got enough info on how to chose and I want a good bargain. Looking at one that will fix to a swing arm and fit neatly into an alcove so no bigger than 42". Anyone any advice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EmileZola




Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What smart TV Reply with quote

sooooooooz wrote:
Thinking it might be time to go for one of these. Some have said don't buy from a shop but to go online. I haven't really got enough info on how to chose and I want a good bargain. Looking at one that will fix to a swing arm and fit neatly into an alcove so no bigger than 42". Anyone any advice?


Here are some reviews for 2016 models.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/10-best-40-and-42-inch-tvs-in-the-world-today-657803
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2204
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with most Smart TVs is that they aren't very smart and depending on what brand you buy you may find some streaming apps are missing. I have a Panasonic smart TV - albeit a few years old now - and although it has BBC on catch up, it doesn't have - or ever will have from what I can find - ITV catch up.

frankly get the best TV to suit your budget and then get either a Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV and hook that up so you can stream through your mobile or tablet. or hook up an old PC and use that for streaming.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FoulOleRon




Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 6580

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
the problem with most Smart TVs is that they aren't very smart and depending on what brand you buy you may find some streaming apps are missing. I have a Panasonic smart TV - albeit a few years old now - and although it has BBC on catch up, it doesn't have - or ever will have from what I can find - ITV catch up.

frankly get the best TV to suit your budget and then get either a Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV and hook that up so you can stream through your mobile or tablet. or hook up an old PC and use that for streaming.


This - providing you've got a broadband package that offers enough download capacity to avoid running up some huge bills.

I've got a stupid TV, with the Amazon Firestick hooked up to it. It has wifi built in so you don't need to stream through another device. You can download all the catch up Apps onto it. If you have an Amazon Prime account, their tv, film and music content that comes with the fee is starting to pick up.
_________________
Find a happy place, find a happy place
http://mikemccrumpet.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2204
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoulOleRon wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
the problem with most Smart TVs is that they aren't very smart and depending on what brand you buy you may find some streaming apps are missing. I have a Panasonic smart TV - albeit a few years old now - and although it has BBC on catch up, it doesn't have - or ever will have from what I can find - ITV catch up.

frankly get the best TV to suit your budget and then get either a Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV and hook that up so you can stream through your mobile or tablet. or hook up an old PC and use that for streaming.


This - providing you've got a broadband package that offers enough download capacity to avoid running up some huge bills.

I've got a stupid TV, with the Amazon Firestick hooked up to it. It has wifi built in so you don't need to stream through another device. You can download all the catch up Apps onto it. If you have an Amazon Prime account, their tv, film and music content that comes with the fee is starting to pick up.


I've got Chromecast and a Roku stick on dumb TVs in bedroom and kitchen just so I can get some decent coverage as I only have a satellite dish (but no Sky as I cancelled it recently) and no terrestrial mast but good internet and wifi so it's easy to stream to TVs around the house. it's only a pain when t'interweb goes down!

even though my lounge TV is smart, I've even stuck a Chromecast on that so I can at least watch stuff either not on Freesat or on Panasonic Viera.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tin Pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 1831
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live tv is a load. Get an iMac Smile
_________________
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veggieboy




Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 6097
Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have got 3 different smart TV's (Sony, Samsung and Panasonic). Distribute Virgin to them from a central media cupboard by HDBaseT 4K UHD Extenders over Cat 6, plus all TV's are separately connected to the internet via Cat and a Ubiquiti managed switch. The 3 virgin boxes are also networked to each

We put Cat6 throughout the entire house so that we can move TV to any room whenever we want

Works like a dream
_________________
I am the Completely Fearless Overlord

But I'm still not going to swim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davem




Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 5980
Location: Out of retirement...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veggieboy wrote:
We have got 3 different smart TV's (Sony, Samsung and Panasonic). Distribute Virgin to them from a central media cupboard by HDBaseT 4K UHD Extenders over Cat 6, plus all TV's are separately connected to the internet via Cat and a Ubiquiti managed switch. The 3 virgin boxes are also networked to each

We put Cat6 throughout the entire house so that we can move TV to any room whenever we want

Works like a dream


enough about the bank, what hav you got at home Wink
_________________
........................._<0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veggieboy




Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 6097
Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davem wrote:
veggieboy wrote:
We have got 3 different smart TV's (Sony, Samsung and Panasonic). Distribute Virgin to them from a central media cupboard by HDBaseT 4K UHD Extenders over Cat 6, plus all TV's are separately connected to the internet via Cat and a Ubiquiti managed switch. The 3 virgin boxes are also networked to each

We put Cat6 throughout the entire house so that we can move TV to any room whenever we want

Works like a dream


enough about the bank, what hav you got at home Wink


At home we have got a fridge with an electric shelf - it is the greatest invention ever

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gaggenau+fridge+motorised+glass+shelf&FORM=HDRSC3
_________________
I am the Completely Fearless Overlord

But I'm still not going to swim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Owd Bill




Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 2639
Location: Pontefract, Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contradiction in terms!

Smart & TV

I keep getting threatening letters. From some folk who call themselves 'TV Licensing'. They're upset because I don't have one of the things they flog; at extortionate prices.

I don't have a TV either.
_________________
Owd Bill
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FoulOleRon




Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 6580

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owd Bill wrote:
Contradiction in terms!

Smart & TV

I keep getting threatening letters. From some folk who call themselves 'TV Licensing'. They're upset because I don't have one of the things they flog; at extortionate prices.

I don't have a TV either.


Are you consuming content over the intraweb Bill?
_________________
Find a happy place, find a happy place
http://mikemccrumpet.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sooooooooz




Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 3069
Location: Bath and TrowVegas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say , in case anyone cares that is!...bought and installed a new Sky Box and with new smart TV, all really good. Great picture and operations are quicker and bonus is...old TV now linked up by Q box and we have double the viewing. Just hope that technology doesn't move on too quickly as I don't want to have to go through all this again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 7966
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooooooooz wrote:
Just to say , in case anyone cares that is!...bought and installed a new Sky Box and with new smart TV, all really good. Great picture and operations are quicker and bonus is...old TV now linked up by Q box and we have double the viewing. Just hope that technology doesn't move on too quickly as I don't want to have to go through all this again.


HDR tv?
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.