Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
More Middle East Military Action?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
One of my favs from the critically acclaimed "Great Book of Middle Eastern Gags"
God decides he has had enough of humanity and decides to end the world. Being a compassionate deity he chooses 3 main leaders, Obama, Cameron and Yitzhak Shamir, informs them of his idea and allows each leader 2 weeks to prepare their people for the rapture.
Each address their nation: Obama says "Fellow Americans there is good news and bad. The good news is that God exists, the bad news is that the world will end in 2 weeks."
Cameron addresses his people similarly: "I have good news, God is alive, the bad news is that we're all dead in 2 weeks."
Shamir addresses. his people as such "People of Israel, I have some good news and some really great news. The good news is that God does indeed exist and the really great news is that the Palestinian intifada will end in 2 weeks."
Smile

I typed a lengthy ish response to this but my net failed......so I will just say that the absence of the other main monotheism in this joke speaks volumes...

Ok, here's another one then
2 Iranian men were waiting in a long line outside an iranian bakery for a loaf of bread when the first man suddenly throws up his arms in disgust.
"Oh!" He shouts, "I've had enough of waiting around for food, it's demeaning. I'm off to kill the Ayatollah."
The second man quietly applauds him as he storms off.
Next day the second man is disappointed to see his friend shuffling back into the bread queue.
"Hey" he says to the first man, "I thought you were off to kill the ayatollah."
"I was," the first man replies, "but there was a queue."

but that's not blasphemous...

I think the first could as easily be seen as highlighting the middle east's self preoccupation where local issues are inflated beyond all proportion, rather than a slight to God or Allah.

or even our preoccupation with and occupation of the middle east....

I must admit, as a study of humour, it has some way to go before it achieves the lofty heights of the "The Dead Parrot Sketch" or "4 candles"
Wink
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
TransitionTed wrote:
One of my favs from the critically acclaimed "Great Book of Middle Eastern Gags"
God decides he has had enough of humanity and decides to end the world. Being a compassionate deity he chooses 3 main leaders, Obama, Cameron and Yitzhak Shamir, informs them of his idea and allows each leader 2 weeks to prepare their people for the rapture.
Each address their nation: Obama says "Fellow Americans there is good news and bad. The good news is that God exists, the bad news is that the world will end in 2 weeks."
Cameron addresses his people similarly: "I have good news, God is alive, the bad news is that we're all dead in 2 weeks."
Shamir addresses. his people as such "People of Israel, I have some good news and some really great news. The good news is that God does indeed exist and the really great news is that the Palestinian intifada will end in 2 weeks."
Smile

I typed a lengthy ish response to this but my net failed......so I will just say that the absence of the other main monotheism in this joke speaks volumes...

Ok, here's another one then
2 Iranian men were waiting in a long line outside an iranian bakery for a loaf of bread when the first man suddenly throws up his arms in disgust.
"Oh!" He shouts, "I've had enough of waiting around for food, it's demeaning. I'm off to kill the Ayatollah."
The second man quietly applauds him as he storms off.
Next day the second man is disappointed to see his friend shuffling back into the bread queue.
"Hey" he says to the first man, "I thought you were off to kill the ayatollah."
"I was," the first man replies, "but there was a queue."

but that's not blasphemous...

I think the first could as easily be seen as highlighting the middle east's self preoccupation where local issues are inflated beyond all proportion, rather than a slight to God or Allah.

or even our preoccupation with and occupation of the middle east....

I must admit, as a study of humour, it has some way to go before it achieves the lofty heights of the "The Dead Parrot Sketch" or "4 candles"
Wink

4 candles, blackadder goes forth, much from monty python, not the nine o'clock news, dave allen, the goons.....have all kept me going at some or other...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and here we go again.

So much on Social and Mainstream media about the current crisis and it's origins; although it's been a crisis since 2011 to be fair. Anyone seen the footage of the Hungarian camera woman kicking & tripping kids? At least video footage can't be manipulated by whichever side is representing their viewpoints. We certainly are living in increasingly 'interesting times'. Without going into depth on this, I think I would organise my thoughts something like....

- be careful what you believe as fact, from whichever 'side' of the argument...they will represent information in way that supports their POV and in many cases sensationalise. At least put ourselves in the shoes of those affected for a moment.

- Alas, the generation that lived through WW2 are now mostly gone, and this is reflected in the attitude of most nations; aside from Germany most notably.

- This issue of regional instability won't go away any time soon; from the Crusades to the current day. But in accepting that, we have to realise that the current issue won't be 'solved' until those opposing ISIL & its beliefs act decisively; and we know what that means. It's not air strikes, and it's not popular.

- Whilst the likes of Gaddafi & Saddam were thoroughly unpleasant dictators, their removal becuase 'we' got tired of them, has created the current instability.

- The migration & refugee situation is obviously getting out-of-hand, and Germany's stance has exacerbated this; but remember why they are reacting the way they are. Unfortunately many of the nations at the frontiers of Europe are ill-equipped to deal with their own issues, let alone this one...namely Greece.

- It's a mess for sure, but before we put our balls on the line again, we need to think carefully how we do it.*

* what was that Shirley Bassey song again....
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
...and here we go again.

So much on Social and Mainstream media about the current crisis and it's origins; although it's been a crisis since 2011 to be fair. Anyone seen the footage of the Hungarian camera woman kicking & tripping kids? At least video footage can't be manipulated by whichever side is representing their viewpoints. We certainly are living in increasingly 'interesting times'. Without going into depth on this, I think I would organise my thoughts something like....

- be careful what you believe as fact, from whichever 'side' of the argument...they will represent information in way that supports their POV and in many cases sensationalise. At least put ourselves in the shoes of those affected for a moment.

- Alas, the generation that lived through WW2 are now mostly gone, and this is reflected in the attitude of most nations; aside from Germany most notably.

- This issue of regional instability won't go away any time soon; from the Crusades to the current day. But in accepting that, we have to realise that the current issue won't be 'solved' until those opposing ISIL & its beliefs act decisively; and we know what that means. It's not air strikes, and it's not popular.

- Whilst the likes of Gaddafi & Saddam were thoroughly unpleasant dictators, their removal becuase 'we' got tired of them, has created the current instability.

- The migration & refugee situation is obviously getting out-of-hand, and Germany's stance has exacerbated this; but remember why they are reacting the way they are. Unfortunately many of the nations at the frontiers of Europe are ill-equipped to deal with their own issues, let alone this one...namely Greece.

- It's a mess for sure, but before we put our balls on the line again, we need to think carefully how we do it.*

* what was that Shirley Bassey song again....

I hope not too many quotes for your taste here Jorgs

Wink

I think our balls are already on the line. As much as I dislike talking about liberals in a perjorative way, I am pretty liberal on many views, but the current stance on the monotheisms has to stop.

As posted previously elsewhere, the U.S. are the only nation with the ability to sort this out but the one nation under god bit does not go down well in the Middle East.

Options are to bomb the place to bits but that won't resolve the issue. Or take out ISIS and let new leaders emerge from the dust and hope that by the time this has happened the world has moved on a little. Part of this moving on should be a dual state nation around what is currently Israel, but I'm not holding out much hope for that.

In the meantime, all effort must go to the receiving nations to assist both the nations and the refugees. When the dust finally settles, it is the moderates that I would like to see go back to the ME.

Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
If this vote truly reflects the will of the people, and not the medias view , then I'm ashamed of the British.

I'm resurrecting this thread because it's time for all those who were against intervening in syria to acknowledge that you enabled Assad to carry on killing children:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38305413

Enjoy your turkey and wine.
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
If this vote truly reflects the will of the people, and not the medias view , then I'm ashamed of the British.

I'm resurrecting this thread because it's time for all those who were against intervening in syria to acknowledge that you enabled Assad to carry on killing children:

Or the alternative, of course, would have provided a free run for Isis....

And the same could have been said of Sadman, Gaddafi or a whole host of others where they did or did not* intervene...delete as appropriate...

GrahamO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

I will enjoy the turkey but as I don't drink I'll skip the wine.

I'll enjoy meeting all those military personnel and families who will not have to lose their lives trying to sort out a mess in a part of the world that wouldn't actually appreciate our help and given half the chance would start shooting us for being infidels.

Sorry, bleeding hearts don't work on the UK anymore - damned if we help, damned if we do not so lets opt for the one where we don't get killed trying to help the ungrateful.

Enjoy your Christmas.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid the West does not have silver bullets in its arsenal; so thousands would have died if we fragged the sh1t out of Assad and ISIS at the same time. Unless you can eradicate religion & tribalism, you're not going to solve anything there. Then all you have to worry about is people fighting over race, politics & resources (greed).

The diagram in the attached article displays the issue. Remove ISIS, and only a small part of the problem goes away. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/25/middleeast/syria-isis-whos-fighting-who-trnd/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I'd be interested to hear your view on the 2003 war in Iraq. Before and after.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I'm afraid the West does not have silver bullets in its arsenal; so thousands would have died if we fragged the sh1t out of Assad and ISIS at the same time. /

Yep, in the response to being gassed our vacant lefties would have criticised our killing of innocent children without recognising that it is impossible to fight wars without collateral damage

Jorgan wrote:
Unless you can eradicate religion & tribalism, you're not going to solve anything there. Then all you have to worry about is people fighting over race, politics & resources (greed).

/

i've been saying that for years

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

I'd be interested to hear your view on the 2003 war in Iraq. Before and after.

needed to go in...should have done better afterwards...

However, we can't be held to blame for the resultant killing. What was required perhaps was a moment of reflection by the Iraqis to consider how they wanted to be governed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: