Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-20 minute 5k run thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I typically do 2 sets of Gastrocnemius Stretches for 30 seconds.

I assume they are static and not mobilisation. What calf injuries do you suffer from?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do some dynamic stretches as well, but not sure I can describe them well. Things like bouncing on ankles, high knee, kicking backside, performing a lunge while move forward, standing on one leg while squatting and reaching forward (to stretch hip flexor)
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I do some dynamic stretches as well, but not sure I can describe them well. Things like bouncing on ankles, high knee, kicking backside, performing a lunge while move forward, standing on one leg while squatting and reaching forward (to stretch hip flexor)

and the calf injuries you get?

iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 5k TT this morning. I haven't lost any weight since the last attempt and I have had 2.5 weeks off training for illness.

I matched my previous PB to the very second (22:53)! Annoyingly at 3.5KM I was still on my target of 22:30 but I blew up spectacularly.

Pretty happy considering the last time I set that time I was in great form, this time not so much.

Going to make a concerted effort on the weight in the next two months to drop that last 10Kg and hopefully get the sub-20 sometime in Feb.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

and the calf injuries you get?

This is strange, lost some of my post.

In early 2015 I tore my left calf pretty badly while windsurfing. In autumn 2015 I could feel it when running, but it didn't seem to slow me down too much, then I tore it again, windsurfing, in December. I didn't run for about 6 weeks, at the start, it was tight while running, but I didn't push too hard, it was more painful if I didn't stretch it before the run.

I was OK until June, when I tore my right calf in Tri. I was in the US, it was around 35 degrees and really humid, I had done my fastest ever ride, but was struggling in the run; my right calf was stiff from the start of the run, a little painful, but not enough to slow me down, with about 1 mile to go I got what I thought was a cramp in my right calf, I stopped and stretched and waited for the cramp to ease, I then limped the final mile (finishing 3rd AG). However, it was clearly more than cramp, and I didn't run for about 3 weeks.

After that I had no calf injuries, however, a couple of times it feels like I am developing cramp in a calf, if I stop immediately I have a day of mild discomfort, but am OK running again in 3 days. It doesn't seem to be distance or speed related. I am more likely to suffer pain if I do not stretch first
iainm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joining in as managed 18:46 at Preston Park on Christmas Day. That's a way off my PB, but as that was six years ago, it was a new Age Graded PB, so super happy old guy! Very Happy Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainm wrote:
Just joining in as managed 18:46 at Preston Park on Christmas Day. That's a way off my PB, but as that was six years ago, it was a new Age Graded PB, so super happy old guy! Very Happy Very Happy

Chapeau!

Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my first 5km timetrial since October later today (the group I run with do them monthly).

Last time out was 22.26 and my recent 1km and 2km target pace intervals have been 3m50 and 4m10, ran a 8m10 2km this week. I really want to get under that 20min barrier but think realistically that 21m is more achievable.

Annoyingly I've picked up the sniffles from the family and so think any stretch targets are going out the window.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on that, 20:30 should be achievable, which means 19:59 isn't far away.
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Based on that, 20:30 should be achievable, which means 19:59 isn't far away.

Would be pretty happy with 20:30 today, will have to see how it goes. Sub 20 used to seem completely unachievable (when I was running 27/28min) now I think with a bit more work I should be able to get there.
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, really annoyed with myself. Whatever bug I had has taken more out of me than I realised.

Ran 22.10 which is still 15 seconds than my PB but I was on for under 21 until 4km when I blew. HR hit 195 and couldn't bring it down had nothing left so had to stop for a bit.

Going to work on some longer endurance runs between now and next month, I think that's the bit I'm missing right now.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Argh, really annoyed with myself. Whatever bug I had has taken more out of me than I realised.

Ran 22.10 which is still 15 seconds than my PB but I was on for under 21 until 4km when I blew. HR hit 195 and couldn't bring it down had nothing left so had to stop for a bit.

Going to work on some longer endurance runs between now and next month, I think that's the bit I'm missing right now.

was this a training run?

Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:

was this a training run?

5km 'race' more of a time trial
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:

was this a training run?

good effort....how well recovered were you?

Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:

was this a training run?

good effort....how well recovered were you?

Fairly, I think. Did nothing Wednesday, easy 5k run on Tuesday and intervals on Monday. Going to focus on some more longer steady runs over the next month as well as some longer bike rides (which I'm really bad at fitting in). Need to improve endurance a bit and speed endurance over longer distances a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 76 of 78

Jump to: