Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Importing US 920xt will it work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevlewins

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Importing US 920xt will it work? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm sure you will be aware of the US 920 xt deal ($199) which even after import duties would work out much cheaper than an EU version purchased in the UK.

Has anyone had experience with purchasing Garmin watches from there US.?

Will there be any issues using it in the UK?

Thanks

Kevin
doug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought the odd bit of electronics from the US and here are some things to look out for:
- warranty, most things now come with worldwide warranties, but some are still country specific meaning if you had a problem, you couldn't get it serviced here you might have to send it back to the US - I don't know what Garmin's warranty is like, but worth checking.
- mains plugs, I have bought things in the US that come with US mains plugs for the USB charger, Garmins in the UK come with interchangeable plugs (UK/US/EU), I don't know if ones from the US do, though you can use any USB charger.

The 920xt itself should have no problem working in the UK, it doesn't do mapping which would have been one possible issue.
JoeNobody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won a 920 in the DC Rainmaker giveaway last year. It was supplied to my by Clever Training in the US. Had no problems using it, but also have had no reason to test the warranty. I can't remember much about the charger - I usually plug the USB cable in to an Apple Charger or my laptop.

You will get stung for import duties though, unless you're bringing it back yourself (or someone is doing it for you) and you don't declare it (not sure about how it fits with allowances, etc for travellers). I think I paid about 130 including handling fees. I do wish I'd hung on a little longer and had it delivered to a colleague as I was in the States about 2 months after I received it, but 130 for the tri bundle isn't too shabby.
DonkeySpank

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up my 920XT in Virgina on a trip to the US, just after it was released. I've used it on all my training and events (indoor & outdoor cycling, treadmill & outdoor running, pool & open water swims).

Works well, had no problems whatsoever and it's a great piece of kit.

Slight niggle - it can take a few minutes to pick up GPS on occasion, but that's generally only a problem for my patience and lack of forward planning Very Happy

Paid around $500 for it, which included the HR strap - so $199 is a bargain even with shipping and import duties slapped on top.
Kevlewins

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response all, I imported from Amazon.com and it is working well, I now just need to get my act together as I have a half ironman this summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: