Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Treadmill App?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillwall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Treadmill App? Reply with quote

With mixed advice from here regarding treadmills I ignored everyone and bought one anyway secondhand.

It seems OK and I've done a few runs on it but would like to add some better structure in.

I am looking for a program/app within which I can set up some treadmill workouts. Having a search on the internet doesn't really seem to show up anything so maybe someone knows of something.

What I'd like
Connect to ANT+ footpod and HR
Display workout and workout metrics (e.g. target pace, current pace, current HR etc)
Allow me to set up workouts - I was hoping to base these on 5k time or something similar (just like using FTP for turbo workouts really) but any workout would be good.
Automatic upload to Strava etc

Anything out there that does this or similar? I think this is what the Zwift treadmill feature will essentially do but was wondering if there is anything out there now.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/hands-upcoming-running.html
hillwall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, yeah I had seen this before but wondered if there was simpler version out there - and one that actually exists right now for anyone to download and use.

There's also no mention of actually defining a workout on Zwift in this instance so that may be even further down the line...

I know I could do low tech stuff and use my Garmin but it seems like there should be something out there.
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwift treadmill works (there's a beta hack) if you have an iOS device. Did you know about that already?
hillwall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I didn't know about the Zwift on iOS but I ditched Zwift anyway at the moment as I wasn't using it enough to justify 100/year.

Zwift on the treadmill also only works with BLE and not ANT+ and since I've only got a Garmin footpod currently I couldn't use it anyway. And an iPad is the only bit of kit I don't have. I've got an iPhone, Windows Phone, Windows tablet, Android tablet, Android phone, Windows PC and Mac all within range of the treadmill so just assumed there would be something out there.

If I wasn't so lazy/crap as a programmer I would write one myself, but the documentation for Ant+ is rubbish and I don't have the time/inclination to look into it in detail. Might have a look at BLE when I get the chance though and see if that is simpler.

Treadmills in general seem so far behind turbo trainers which amazes me. Although you can still run outside most of the time here, there must be a demand from athletes in colder climates who are forced to use treadmills in winter for serious training to have apps with specific tailored workouts.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
Actually I didn't know about the Zwift on iOS but I ditched Zwift anyway at the moment as I wasn't using it enough to justify 100/year.

Zwift on the treadmill also only works with BLE and not ANT+ and since I've only got a Garmin footpod currently I couldn't use it anyway. And an iPad is the only bit of kit I don't have. I've got an iPhone, Windows Phone, Windows tablet, Android tablet, Android phone, Windows PC and Mac all within range of the treadmill so just assumed there would be something out there.

If I wasn't so lazy/crap as a programmer I would write one myself, but the documentation for Ant+ is rubbish and I don't have the time/inclination to look into it in detail. Might have a look at BLE when I get the chance though and see if that is simpler.

Treadmills in general seem so far behind turbo trainers which amazes me. Although you can still run outside most of the time here, there must be a demand from athletes in colder climates who are forced to use treadmills in winter for serious training to have apps with specific tailored workouts.

ZWIFT on iOS has the issue it only works with BLE, but theres the 4iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii HRM strap that works as a bridge between Ant+ - BLE. Still its yet more expense though. Also ZWIFT running just takes the pace from the footpod and uses it. it not clever enough to adjust based on incline yet so you currently have a situation where someone can run up the mountain quicker than you can ride it!
hillwall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do think that Zwift will get it all worked out in the end but I suspect what I am after is more low end, possibly offline workouts with an upload later. So you could run it on a phone rather than tablet.

So I thought I'd have a look at what is actually involved in writing it myself.

I've managed to get a bit of code running that can look for BLE devices in range of an Android device. I've got a BLE HRM (Scosche Rhythm+) and BLE PM (Stages) currently so if I can put something very basic together with them both displaying data on the screen then I may delve in a bit deeper.

However, there does seem to be one major issue. Bluetooth footpods!
Basically there is a very old polar one and Stryd. The Adidas one DC Rainmaker mentions is unavailable and the two bridging options (4iiiii and CABLE) are both currently unavailable in the UK. So no one will be using running mode on Zwift in the UK either just yet...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: