Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Where to begin with 'Proper' training?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Where to begin with 'Proper' training? Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum and wondering if people can point me in the right direction for beginners Sprint and Olympic plans. Obviously there are lots out there but it's hard to know what's right for me!

I did my first sprint tri last year with 2 months training 3 - 4 days a week. Ended up with a 1hr 31.47s time. I wanted under 1:30 but think I had a slow cycle. My splits were 14.08 swim 42.02 bike, 28.12 run + Transitions

I'm just about to turn 34 and determined to do an Olympic distance this year, maybe after a couple of those under my belt ironman but I'm aware that even stepping up to Olympic distance is a big jump.

I did absolutely no exercise throughout my 20's having lived a pretty hedonistic (and destructive) lifestyle. Now that's behind me I want to see where I can push myself. I was never the sportiest at school, mainly a B team player.

After not doing much since the last tri in June I've been going to the gym for the past 6 weeks doing a couple of swims, runs and a 2k run 10k cycle 2k run workout plus a couple of hours MTB at the weekend. The only thing I'm timing is the run which is currently at 23.43 for 5k on the treadmill....it feels hard to do this but I'm aware that it's actually pretty slow.

I've entered Blenheim Sprint on June 4th and then looking aat London for the 1st Olympic end of July.

So I've got 6 months to do the training and feel pretty committed to 5 - 6 days a week but don't really know where to start in terms of strength, endurance and speed training given where my fitness is at. If it helps I'm 187cm, 72kg so could do with a bit more weight for my height as I'm near the bottom end of my BMI.

I'll have a good look through the threads on here but any help/advice would be really appreciated!...sorry for a long post just didn't know how much info to put!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

join your local club...

..good luck...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of training plans on the internet, just google and pick one that fits in with your time limits/days of the week etc. 220 Magazine's site is a good place to start as it has a selection.

Time Crunched Tri book is also pretty good for sprint/oly distance.

Ps. I'd be over the moon with a 23min 5k, treadmill or not.
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard response now is to get a training plan from a coach. I can recommend a good one.

Otherwise the Joe Friel book is good if you want to go down the self coached route. It takes a bit of time to work it out and plan your sessions but once you gave got your head round it you will be fine.

Your 5K from your starting point is pretty good. I wouldn't worry about putting on weight, that will slow you down on the run and a bit on the bike. You may find as you ramp up training you build a bit of muscle but don't make that your aim. Look at the Brownlees, there is nothing to them.

Personally I find the plans on 220 and other places etc to be an utter mess. They are usually thrown together by separate run,swim,cycle coaches and mashed together to make a tri plan
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
join your local club...
..good luck...

iwaters wrote:
My standard response now is to get a training plan from a coach. I can recommend a good one.

I can understand these quick-fire suggestions, but unless you have an issue motivating yourself, they are not necessary; particularly paying a coach.

Common sense and self-motivation will take all the way to an Ironman, then you just need to have the time available to you. I would suggest reading some online plans/books - although they are generic of course. All you need to aim for is consistency & progression.

What are your personal circumstances?
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
All you need to aim for is consistency & progression.

+1
EddL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, as one of the posts earlier in the thread there are lots of training plans out there but they seem to be quite general I guess. Last time round I was using one from TriRadar and the only thing I ended up using it for was telling which activity to do on each day. If it said 500m swim I was doing 1k etc however I don't know i was training correctly to actually make gains or just working in my comfort zone as it were. Training on my own I don't really have a bench mark.

I'm local to Oxford and they seem to have a pretty good tri club which is only 90 for the year. I don't have too much trouble motivating myself but I just want be pointed in the right direction so that I don't overdo it or coast along and not make gains.

When someone else says personal circumstances I'm guessing you mean time? Right now I can devote at least an hour a day Mon - Fri and then another 5 - 6 at the weekend but saying that if I need to make more time I will as I want to acheive the final goal.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
join your local club...
..good luck...

iwaters wrote:

I can understand these quick-fire suggestions, but unless you have an issue motivating yourself, they are not necessary; particularly paying a coach.

Common sense and self-motivation will take all the way to an Ironman, then you just need to have the time available to you. I would suggest reading some online plans/books - although they are generic of course. All you need to aim for is consistency & progression.
?

access to good club coaches will enable the athlete to progress and learn the key basics more quickly..they should also provide enough feedback for the athlete to focus on..

they will still need common sense and motivation, and a plan to follow, but will not need to unpick the differences between a high intensity plan or the Maffetone system as an example...i don't think you can do that with common sense alone..

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

access to good club coaches will enable the athlete to progress and learn the key basics more quickly..they should also provide enough feedback for the athlete to focus on..

they will still need common sense and motivation, and a plan to follow, but will not need to unpick the differences between a high intensity plan or the Maffetone system as an example...i don't think you can do that with common sense alone..

I would argue if someone is prepared to do a few simple Internet searches and read a book, they could unpick quite a lot in a short time. I understand that you are very involved in clubs & coaching, so are keen to promote them; but they are not necessary. Often, people will also struggle to make dedicated club sessions due to their location or other commitments (I count myself in that category too).

I have never been coached, never swam in a club as a child, and I haven't trained with a triathlon or running club for over 20 years. Given that, how would you account my relative 'success' in the sport?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

I would argue if someone is prepared to do a few simple Internet searches and read a book, they could unpick quite a lot in a short time. I understand that you are very involved in clubs & coaching, so are keen to promote them; but they are not necessary. Often, people will also struggle to make dedicated club sessions due to their location or other commitments (I count myself in that category too).

I have never been coached, never swam in a club as a child, and I haven't trained with a triathlon or running club for over 20 years. Given that, how would you account my relative 'success' in the sport?

I don't have a vested interest in people joining clubs, but I see joining a good club as a useful tactic...

I too have not been coached as such, and despite my relative success, would certainly have benefitted from being coached...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: