Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Weymouth 70.3 after Ironman UK?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awenborn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Ironman Weymouth 70.3 after Ironman UK? Reply with quote

Hi,

After a few years of dabbling in triathlon, I've entered into Ironman UK this summer. I've done a couple of half-distance events, but this will be my first attempt at a full iron-distance race.

Seeing as Ironman UK is in the middle of July, it leaves a lot of the season left afterwards, so I'm looking at some late season races to keep the motivation going. I just spotted that Ironman Weymouth is in mid-Sept, would it be crazy to try to attempt to do this as well, 9 weeks after Ironman UK? In my head it doesn't sound too bad (2 weeks of rest and/or easy unstructured training, 6 weeks to build up again and a 1 week taper) but I know it's all too easy to write down a training plan, however executing it is another.

Have any of you guys done both of these in the same year and how did you find the quick turnover between the two?

Also, how quickly is Weymouth likely to stay open for registration? Is there any chance I can wait until after IMUK to sign up?

Thanks!
fenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people manage Ironmans on consecutive weekends - so a full and a half 9 weeks apart shouldn't be too much of an issue. Even if you just kept ticking over - if you've done a full successfully then the half would be a walk in the park.

Expensive couple of months mind you !
ironchimp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've done it several times. 9 weeks is ages. Jees, a lot of us on the board have doubled up on IMUK and Wales (or Weymouth) before.

I usually give it a couple of weeks of easy spinning and swimming, maybe a jog if I'm feeling like it, then ramp things up without going mental on the run training, then a week easing off.

The key for me is getting my head back in training mode, so going into the first I try to think of it as just a long fully catered training day.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironchimp wrote:
Yeah, I've done it several times. 9 weeks is ages. Jees, a lot of us on the board have doubled up on IMUK and Wales (or Weymouth) before.

I usually give it a couple of weeks of easy spinning and swimming, maybe a jog if I'm feeling like it, then ramp things up without going mental on the run training, then a week easing off.

The key for me is getting my head back in training mode, so going into the first I try to think of it as just a long fully catered training day.

I'd agree with the mental aspect being the main concern.

I had an Olympic in sept after IMUK last year and the same this year. It became a "for fun" race, nine months training to July had me disinterested in training schedules.
Iron '16 14:30:49
Half Iron '16 5:53:44
Olympic '16 3:18:18 '15 3:33:05, '13 3:36:00
Sprint '16 1:17:03, '14 1:40:13, '13 2:01:07
Half Mara '16 2:04:32, '14 2:07:11
10 Mile TT '16 26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
awenborn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Sure, I can see the motivational aspect being a big hurdle, but I can deal with that when I get there! It's nice to know that physically it's enough time to recover, rebuild and put in a decent performance at the second race. I'm not going to be troubling the front of the pack, but I'd like to put in a decent effort for myself given a couple of disappointing results I had last season.

As to my second question, does anyone know how long Weymouth 70.3 is likely to stay open for registration? The website says "25th June to Close of Registration: 265", so assuming it doesn't sell out, how far ahead of the race do WTC usually close registration? And crucially, is it likely to sell out before then?
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awenborn wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Sure, I can see the motivational aspect being a big hurdle, but I can deal with that when I get there! It's nice to know that physically it's enough time to recover, rebuild and put in a decent performance at the second race. I'm not going to be troubling the front of the pack, but I'd like to put in a decent effort for myself given a couple of disappointing results I had last season.

As to my second question, does anyone know how long Weymouth 70.3 is likely to stay open for registration? The website says "25th June to Close of Registration: 265", so assuming it doesn't sell out, how far ahead of the race do WTC usually close registration? And crucially, is it likely to sell out before then?

Did they take on the day registrations last year? I can't remember Smile although it was a big race so maybe not! They do give out alerts for the number of places they have left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: