Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Watch recommendations (920?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vilbs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Watch recommendations (920?) Reply with quote

After some purchase advice. My beloved 910 has just died - well the barometer has (yes I have tried washing it and using a toothbrush but nothing). So I am after a new watch this week. The obvious choice was a 920. As a new one is due out quite soon I assumed they would be cheap as chips - annoyingly they seem to be over 300 with a proper strap.

So my question is:
1. I assume the best choice is 920 - is it? (I do slow Ironmans and like a barometer which rules the 735 out. The Fenix 5 wont be out for a while and doesn't seem like a proper "tri" watch.)

2. Where is the best place to get a cheap 920? All the bargains seem too dodgy and the usual good places like Amazon just seems to be too expensive for a watch that Garmin will be replacing this year.

Thanks in advance!
mash180

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-920xt-010-01174-11.html

Use your old HR strap or

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-premium-heart-rate-monitor-hrm3-010-10997-07.html
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenix3 of course. Fenix3 HR if you really need the wrist HR.
DrClean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Mark et Al

I was bought the new 735 xt for Christmas and it seems a really good watch. Much lighter than before and it has a HR monitor in the watch body. Lance (my son) has been using one since the beginning of December and finds it great, the battery lasts for about 10 days if you don't keep the bluetooth on and it transfers data via the phone app really easily.

If you have the new HR strap it also has additional features. It records HR and remembers it, so if worn for a swim and you rise it above the water after a segment it will record and remember the HR for later use in the app. It also has additional features for running.

The Fenix 3 is being replaced by the Fenix 5 and has similar features and is lighter than before but not as neat as the 735 as far as I can tell. Prior to the new 735 I was using the Fenix 2 with HR strap, which I have to sell if you're interested.

I should be doing a review of the watch after I swim with it this Friday, first swim for ages.

Hope that helps
http://www.CapeVerdeTriathlon.com
fenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need the barometer ?

And the Fenix 3 is a lovely watch. More business like than the 920 so looks more suitable in an office if you're bothered by that.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Watch recommendations (920?) Reply with quote

vilbs wrote:
a watch that Garmin will be replacing this year.

From what I've read in a few places, the thought was that the 920 was not due for imminent replacement. Compare that against the accurate forecast/leaks of all the F5 details, and I'm inclined to believe it.

The 9xx series has tended to be released pre-Kona (ie. the 920 in October 2014, the 910 in October 2011), so keeping that timing in mind, even if they did replace in 2017 (which would keep the 3 year cycle), it'd be another full UK tri season before something materialises (ignoring when it is actually available to ship).
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barometer went on my 910, it did the 20,000m thing. I sorted that by cleaning the holes out but it's always been a bit temperamental since, particularly at the start of a session when I often get a significant rise or fall before it settles down.
Everything else still works fine so I just upload it and override the elevation on Garmin Connect and Strava. Garmin is instant, Strava can sometimes take a few minutes but you don't have to wait for it.
Depends how important that is to you but the watch isn't scrap just because the barometer's gone. It is a good excuse if you want a new one anyway though.
PS. You don't seem able to fix elevation on multisport sessions, for some reason that option is disabled in Garmin Connect.
the5krunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Watch recommendations (920?) Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
vilbs wrote:
a watch that Garmin will be replacing this year.

From what I've read in a few places, the thought was that the 920 was not due for imminent replacement. Compare that against the accurate forecast/leaks of all the F5 details, and I'm inclined to believe it.

The 9xx series has tended to be released pre-Kona (ie. the 920 in October 2014, the 910 in October 2011), so keeping that timing in mind, even if they did replace in 2017 (which would keep the 3 year cycle), it'd be another full UK tri season before something materialises (ignoring when it is actually available to ship).

there are rumblings of an announcement at the same time as the fenix starts selling. seems like madness to me

re: earlier comments on prices. yes it is staying annoyingly high. I got my third one just over a year ago at less than the current price. think i'm on my 4th or 5th now, it does have lots of features tho.

735/ironman - think about the battery and the features you will use and the battery degradation over time.
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin usually will exchange a defective watch for a factory refurbished one for about 60. Worth doing even if you just sell it on.

I think the 920 is still the best triathlon watch as the rectangular format is better for 4 data screens that you can actually see.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
Fenix3 of course. Fenix3 HR if you really need the wrist HR.

Aye, but I've found pairing it with Wahoo Tickr works better than Garmin HR strap I'm my experience
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 920 is a better sports watch than the Fenix, mostly because it's lighter and has a lower profile on the wrist (especially with quick mount). I still swapped my 920 for a Fenix though, since the Fenix imho is a far better all round watch. It can easily go as an office watch as well as be able to guide you on a mountain ridge.

Also, the screen resolution on the Fenix is far superior to the 920. The map doesn't look like it was drawn by a 3 year old. And the 920 seriously cannot show an analogue time.. yuck. The Fenix analogue looks very plausible.

If you want all-out sports or race watch the 920 is the daddy. If you don't wear lycra 24/7 then the Fenix is the choice. I love my Fenix, great piece of kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: