Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bacrelona 2017 (Full)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerrymc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Bacrelona 2017 (Full) Reply with quote

Another M-dot event sells out over 10 months in advance, no sign of the hype fading on this brand. they do run a good show but are sooooo expensive.

And I'm one of those adding to the hype having entered.

Tread softly because you tread on my 'Tri' dreams. - W.B. Yeats (and me)
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 10 months before the event? If you go back a few years to the days when we only had a handful of M-dot races in Europe, people queued up on-site on the day after the race to sign-up for the next year's race and the online entries filled within minutes when they went live at midnight Wink
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

appealing event due it being outside of kids holidays and a PB potential: I've got this one earmarked for the future!
ttowel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and do a 108 mile sportive.

Same distance, same drafting rules
surfdragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed this event this year (my first full IM dist), but did wonder if it had become draft legal when packs of bikes went past me!!!!!!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is one of the few that sells-out now, mainly as it's a PB draft fest and the race is in a good convenient location...was hoping to do it next year, but funds prevent.

Roth is the only race in Europe that sells-out in minutes now afaik.
duckhen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minutes. .........don't think it takes that long
New2ironman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Sell Out Reply with quote

I have also managed to get a place, this is my first Ironman so super excited, but would like to get arrangements sorted asap. So any advice on best located hotels, transfers, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also I looked at Italy as there are still spaces and a fair bit cheaper than Barcelona but was worried that it was the first time they have run one there

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a real ironman, more like plasticman barcelona.

Know people going sub 11 on that course that cant do fairly easy half like outlaw in sub 6:30, or other Ironmans in sub 13, doesn't add up.

Give me a proper Ironman anyway instead of an easy draftfest.
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know people going sub 11 on that course that cant do fairly easy half like outlaw in sub 6:30, or other Ironmans in sub 13, doesn't add up.

\

You seem a little agitated about other peoples results at Barca, do you think it detracts from your own efforts? I am always curious to see what would make someone describe any IM distance race as 'easy'. Its the kind of statement that could easily come across as very arrogant.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sell Out Reply with quote

New2ironman wrote:
I have also managed to get a place, this is my first Ironman so super excited, but would like to get arrangements sorted asap. So any advice on best located hotels, transfers, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also I looked at Italy as there are still spaces and a fair bit cheaper than Barcelona but was worried that it was the first time they have run one there

Ok, ignoring the other comments, I've seen drafting at all IM's and triathlon's, the fact it is so flat and populated doesn't help but it does thin out as the race goes on, except for the ones deliberately doing it.

Have a look back at the other years threads, but this one is quite easy to arrange.

Plenty of flights to Barca airport, you can either get a train, changing at Sants that takes you to the centre of Callela, or taxi\bus transfer.

Depending on your bike and how many other people are going with you, you could also consider shipmytribike\nirvana, I used them this year, got the bike picked up at home and met them in the town, took it back on Monday after the race. It is pricey but you don't have to take it to bits for a box, especially good if it is a modern tri bike, and you don't have to lug it through the airports or pay for it on the flights.

There's a lot of accommodation, it isn't a big town, but try not to leave it too long as there is usually an Octoberfest on at the same time and a lot of triathletes, often with families.

Transition is near the railway station, and barely a mile from most parts of the town, so logistics are simple, only one transition as well. Swim also starts there now.

The swim is likely to have a bit of chop, on Friday\Saturday this year it was pretty rough, but quite a lot better on the Sunday. The race had a decent start time of about 8:30am this year and the rolling start generally works well.

Transitions are pretty short.

There's a 2 mile section in and out of town that is narrow, has a few twists and speed bumps, you are not allowed to use tri-bars here. once you get out of town it is pretty much 106 miles on your TT bars. There's a few gentle hills and an out and back bit with a gradual climb but nothing sinister. Bike was at least 3k short this year, not sure if they'll remedy this next year.

The run can be a bit boring and some of it is exposed if the sun is out, it was getting quite hot this year, it is narrow in a few places with a few twists, but the winner managed about 2:40 this year so it isn't slow. It is about dead on as well.

There's some decent restaurants in town, but a lot are your typical british tourist chicken and chips. Try and get a pre-race meal early or booked in advance.

Not sure if that helps, if you ask a few more specific questions I'm sure others will help.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire_set wrote:

\

You seem a little agitated about other peoples results at Barca, do you think it detracts from your own efforts? I am always curious to see what would make someone describe any IM distance race as 'easy'. Its the kind of statement that could easily come across as very arrogant.

I think it detracts from the sport having a dragfest course where unrealistic times are done. By easy, I mean in comparison to what I would class as a real IM course, such as UK, Wales, Lanza, France etc
will turbo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am going back to calella in 2017, for the 4th time, it isn't a drag fest. The road are super smooth, couple of days before the race I was out riding the course. Bouncing along at 40k at ironman pace, in the race you do get groups, but there just too many on the course,
Oh and I've race uk and Lanza, the road surface at U.K. It that lose stone stuff and its rough, I train on the course most weekend, so to ride some where super smooth I'll take that and a sub 5hr bike split
gerrymc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

Tread softly because you tread on my 'Tri' dreams. - W.B. Yeats (and me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: