Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tri clothing for a newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie575

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Tri clothing for a newbie Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm new to the world of triathlon, and have entered a few local events in 2017 up to half ironman distance.

The bit I'm currently figuring out is what to wear! Is everyone out there wearing tri-specific stuff or do most people change between disciplines?

I've spotted some bargain looking Orca kit on eBay- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ProCycleSpares?_dmd=1&_nkw=orca

but I don't know anything about tri kit- in terms of do I need a top and shorts, or is an all in one better for someone new to the sport?

Thanks in advance!
fenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want to do.

You could change between disciplines if you wanted, but very few do.

Most people use tri kit so swim bike and run all in the same outfit.

For short distance an all in one is probably best. For longer distances you would probably want a two piece so you can have toilet stops a bit easier.

I've found Aldi tri kit to be ridiculously good value. Worth keeping an eye out for that. In the meantime there's no rush to get your tri suit sorted out just now. I train in normal kit and save the tri stuff for races and maybe practicing nearer the day.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoreMile do some reasonable tri kit, as do Decathlon too.

Orca is typically pretty good kit.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distances up to, and including HIM, you're more likely to keep the same kit on all the way through the race, whether tri-suit or separates.

Assuming from your name you're female, hopefully one of the girls will be along soon and she can give more specific female kit advice as there are several 'issues' you'll need to address (eg sports bras).

Orca kit is great, I still wear my very first Orca top I bought for my first sprint tri 12 years ago.

My 15 minutes of fame
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely wear a sports bra Smile, they dry quickly and stop you horrifying everyone at the event Sad

Tri suit for pool stuff, probably for Olympic too (although it takes me hours and sometimes I do stop for a wee). However separates for HIM Smile

I've found the kit can come up small so it's worth trying it on if you can to get an idea of sizing. I'm tall and find separates can come up short in the body and that can lead to lower back sunburn. Everything needs testing out beforehand too Smile

Never had Aldi tri kit, although I've had Orca suits (great), a lot of 2XU stuff (great) although my favourite shorts were from club kit (oddly thin and with thin pad that does not scrunch up and poke you in the bits).

I keep the same kit on throughout the race (although I've not done an IM). It does look disgusting by the end (gel stains, urine stains and sweat stains).

Last edited by SwimsLikeAWalrus on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you could get suits with an inbuilt sports bra? As a male, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm sure I've seen them in the past. I think my sister has one that is made by Speedo?
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
I thought you could get suits with an inbuilt sports bra? As a male, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm sure I've seen them in the past. I think my sister has one that is made by Speedo?

Oh yeah, your 'sister' eh Sam? Wink
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tri clothing for a newbie Reply with quote

Debbie575 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm new to the world of triathlon, and have entered a few local events in 2017 up to half ironman distance.

The bit I'm currently figuring out is what to wear! Is everyone out there wearing tri-specific stuff or do most people change between disciplines?

I've spotted some bargain looking Orca kit on eBay- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ProCycleSpares?_dmd=1&_nkw=orca

but I don't know anything about tri kit- in terms of do I need a top and shorts, or is an all in one better for someone new to the sport?

Thanks in advance!

Get a secondhand bra top and panties off some of the guys here that were racing back in the eighties:

Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

I'd say the size of your boobs dictates whether these are any good...

Go and stand on the run course this will allow you to judge the effectiveness of the sewn in crop top type thing to which you refer
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tri clothing for a newbie Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Debbie575 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Get a secondhand bra top and panties off some of the guys here that were racing back in the eighties:

glenn cook and rick wells

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for a pool based sprint, a tri suit would be recommended?

I'm looking to do one in May. Do you keep a gilet or bike jacket in transition as I imagine it could be a bit chilly!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
So for a pool based sprint, a tri suit would be recommended?

I'm looking to do one in May. Do you keep a gilet or bike jacket in transition as I imagine it could be a bit chilly!

yes and yes...practice getting on when still wet...

Roscoemck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri Suit it is then!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although a decent two-piece is just as suitable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: