Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training plan whilst working offshore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWP1969

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Training plan whilst working offshore Reply with quote

I am new to triathlon, but have been training steadily for the last 6 months. However, where previously I worked in the Middle East where I had access to a gym, outside running and a swimming pool, I have now returned to work in the North Sea, on a scheduled rota, where I spend 2 weeks offshore, 1 week in the office and 3 weeks at home. Obviously the training during the 3 weeks at home is easy to schedule. The 1 week in the office is okay, as I'm put up in a hotel which has gym facility - and there is, no doubt, public swimming pools nearby. When offshore, I have access to a pretty decent gym, ie treadmills, exercise bikes, rowing machines, cross trainers, and weights.

Therefore, after all that preamble, a few questions:

1) what is the best exercise I can do whilst offshore for swimming?

2) what is the best strategy for the recovery week? My thought was to use the two weeks offshore for the recovery period....... which is obviously a little higher proportion (2 weeks in 6) than the usual recommendation (1 week in 4). I managed 9 hours training per week when previously on the platform.

3) how long after returning from offshore ie without swimming for 2 weeks, do you think it will take to get back into swimming form? I'm wondering when it would be prudent to participate in a competition. I leave the platform on Tuesdays, so for a Saturday event, that is only 3 days, so realistically 1 or 2 very easy swims to knock off the rust.

Any advice is welcomed.

PS: I had a quick search on the forum, and couldn't find a relevant existing thread.
G4V1N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at sea so have a similar problem although I am away for months at a time. For the swimming, concentrate on technique while on leave unless you have been swimming for years and have that nailed. You are only at sea for a few weeks so shouldn't lose masses of swim fitness whilst away but if you come home and smash out swim sets without good technique trying to regain fitness you'll just create more bubbles. Also, do a search for sport specific exercises to keep the upper body used whilst away and not swimming. I tend to just do circuit training so I can keep core, gluts and legs awake too

Run and bike wise, if you have static facilities in the form of treadmills and bikes then train as you would at home. It can get a bit tedious doing a long session staring at a bulkhead but nowadays there are things like iPads to ease the boredom. It does make it a bit easier to plan and be consistent with your training if you can do what you do at home whilst you are away to and it also means the only sport you are missing is swimming.

Which brings me nicely to recovery. Two weeks isn't necessary for your easier weeks, just one will do, and you don't need to back off too much unless you are training quite hard for an event on knocking out high mileage already or you'll end up in a permanent cycle of get a little fit, go to sea, recover too much/lose some fitness.

That said though, without seeing the programme you follow or knowing how fit you are or any injury issues it's difficult to say.
JWP1969

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

I don't have particularly good swimming technique, previous to starting the training programme, I hadn't swum since school (many years ago). As you suggest, I will focus on the circuit training, core strength, and the rowing to help keep the swimming going.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to take 2 weeks recovery, but when offshore, the training is a distant secondary priority to the job, that said, I did manage 9 hours per week training, though the longest single session was just over an hour.
doug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some swim cords for dryland swimming when offshore

http://www.finisinc.com/eu/equipment/technical-products/dryland.html

How to use them:
http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/swimming/swim_cords
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4V1N wrote:
I work at sea so have a similar problem although I am away for months at a time. For the swimming...

I thought at least that one would be obvious. Smile

(Sorry, couldn't help it)
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're working on a semi-sub, check out the inside of the legs if you can get access - there's about 150' of steep spiral staircase which makes fantastic training!

Also, assuming you're in Aberdeen during your office week, check out Knockburn Loch (and Fleet Feet tri club in Stonehaven). Open water swimming in the Loch each week - fantastic facility with changing rooms, showers etc.. The Loch has about a 700m circuit swim and you can almost stand in most of it. It's Baltic in the spring, but gets lovely and warm by August.

My 15 minutes of fame
hopper-tri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work a 3/3 rota in the NNS.
As mentioned, swim bands are a good way of 'dry' swimming, concentrating on technique.
Don't do the over arm recovery (as in water), as it can strain the shoulders. I use a similar to sculling movemement.
I keep the bike and runs to max of 1 hour, at a reasonably high intensity, leaving the long runs and bike rides until home.
When in Aberdeen, I use Westhills pool, it's very quite and about 3 a session. Not too many academy sessions, so it's usually available most evenings Wink

Team VeloVelocity

Broadland Half Marathon - 1:33:33
Manchester Marathon - 3:25:12
East Coast Tri - 50:54 (PB 3:39)
Grafman Middle - 5:43:33
Beccles Tri
Fritton Standard (EC)
Gosfield Sprint (EC)
The Outlaw
Monster Middle (EC)
IM Wales
JWP1969

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

When in Aberdeen on the office week, I am relatively immobile since I fly up, so there is no practical way of getting to Stonehaven or Westhill (I tend to work long/offshore hours when in the office).

The swimming bands are a good idea. I'll see if I can get some.

I also think the idea of doing the intensive sessions whilst offshore and doing the long, stamina sessions whilst on-shore is a good idea. I wouldn't want to tie up the exercise bike or running machine for 90-150 mins at a time - it sounds like a recipe for taking a swim in the North Sea!
A2ON

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sorry for digging up this old thread but I am new to working offshore and also new to Tri, hoping to do my first Tri in 2017

Any additional hints or tips for training out there ?

Many thanks .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely working out at sea, swimming practice must be easy seeing as you can just jump in and get some sea swimming in, no need for a pool?

On a serious note, any tips for getting work out there , for entry level jobs?
mudman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A2ON wrote:
Hey sorry for digging up this old thread but I am new to working offshore and also new to Tri, hoping to do my first Tri in 2017

Any additional hints or tips for training out there ?

Many thanks .

I work in the desert 28/28 and have managed to train for 3 IM , I'm lucky to be able to run around the small compound and brought a bike and turbo out here so 6 hr turbo sessions are possible. But the best thing is swim cords and stretch bands so you maintain the endurance in the arms and shoulders when you cant be in a pool.
Body weight callisthenics if there's no gym.
Yoga mat and foam roller are good too.
JWP1969

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since someone resurrected my original question, and since I'm nearly 3 years further down the line, I'll have a go at answering my own questions:

1) what is the best exercise I can do whilst offshore for swimming? Still cannot answer this. Though a mixture of rowing, stretch chords, kettlebells and strength exercises is the best I've come up with so far.

2) what is the best strategy for the recovery week? My thought was to use the two weeks offshore for the recovery period....... which is obviously a little higher proportion (2 weeks in 6) than the usual recommendation (1 week in 4). I managed 9 hours training per week when previously on the platform.
I now do a recovery week every 3 weeks they are my last week on-shore and my last week offshore. I find if I try to do 3 hard weeks in a row whilst onshore, then I'm destroyed.

3) how long after returning from offshore ie without swimming for 2 weeks, do you think it will take to get back into swimming form? I'm wondering when it would be prudent to participate in a competition. I leave the platform on Tuesdays, so for a Saturday event, that is only 3 days, so realistically 1 or 2 very easy swims to knock off the rust.
I've found that the 1st swim session after getting back onshore is absolute rubbish. The 2nd is nearly back to where I was before going offshore. This year I did a race the first weekend when I got back onshore - the race was the first swim I did - my time was 4 mins (1500m) slower than the previous year (same course).

When offshore I've settled into a fairly regular exercise routine of going to gym at 5am, doing either a Wattbike session or Bodyweight Exercises/Kettlebells/Rowing (I've been "banned" from using the treadmill at that time). Lunchtime, back into the gym for a 2nd 45min session of treadmill, wattbike or kettlebells. If the day is good to me and I get a chance I go the gym again in the evening at 8-9pm when its quiet.

Hope this helps those who don't have a normal 9-5, 5 days a week job.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWP1969 wrote:
Since someone resurrected my original question, and since I'm nearly 3 years further down the line,

Fek me, time flies. Shocked

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: