Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Helvellyn 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Helvellyn 2017 Reply with quote

Anyone else doing this? I am going to enter. I want a challenge for this year and this seems good.

I am better on the hills than I used to be. I lost 4 stone in weight last year. On strava hill segments I am usually in the top 50 for the over 95kg category . At 6'5'' I am never going to weigh 60kg. I could lose some more weight however I am currently sick of calorie counting and salads and have started to suffer in training from lack of energy. I might have a good few months training on a full tank and think about trimming some weight again in the summer.

Not sure what bike to use though. My roadie is a piece of #@?# and weighs a lot. 2012 Trek 1.1, all alloy. The groupset has been upgraded to 105. My TT bike is carbon and a lot lighter. I am much more confident on big descents on the road bike. Big descents on aero bars scare the bejesus out of me. I might keep my eye out on Ebay for a cheap carbon frame. I have carbon tubs wheels and the 105 group set so could build a half decent bike, I also have a spare set of aero bars so could fit those.

I need to get some fell shoes and practise at that.

Biggest problem I have is where I live (MK) its all fairly flat. I have a couple of biggish hills nearby (13% av, max 20%) but they are all pretty short (400m ).
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bison hill is a short ride away and you can do a loop with Bison and Ivinghoe Beacon

Chicheley Hill is a quietish road with a good turning point top and bottom for hill reps

I assume you are referring to Heatbreak Hill which is a good climb...and an even better descent for practise, but watch out for cars on the blind corners...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
iwaters

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I had forgotten about Ivinghoe Beacon and didn't know about Bison hill

At the min I do a loop taking in Church Road Bow Brickhill out past Woburn and Millbrook and then up Lidlington Hill.

Will head down towards Ivinghoe way and do a loop round there
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both types of bike and then usually wished I used the other on the day. TBH, most of the descents are fairly quick and straight and not a big problem, it is just the descent off Kirkstone pass which is your standard twisty Lakeland pass with drystone walls. It is only about 1 mile and it improves at the bottom so you can just take it easy at the top, you'll probably have people going past you but if you don't like going down why take risks, you won't lose that much time. If you can get up hills on the TT bike and\or it has lowish gearing I'd possibly go with that, I used my Ti road bike last year as I'd been on holiday and it weighs a ton so getting up the struggle wasn't easy even on a compact.

You'll lose a lot more time if you can't go up hills, if you have any practice on them!

There's not many parts of the country you can replicate the run climb (or descent) other than the lakes or Scotland. But if you have any hilly terrain get used to going up it, or if you gym has a stairmill get on that for 30-40 minutes, it will get you ready to go uphill if not down. There's not many places you'll be running up the hill after the first mile.

The (run) descent is actually very runnable, but this is what will smash your quads and give you DOMS for a few days!

It's a great race if you like a challenge, I've done it about 6 times now and pretty much managed to cock something up each time.

Jeff
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Thanks I had forgotten about Ivinghoe Beacon and didn't know about Bison hill

At the min I do a loop taking in Church Road Bow Brickhill out past Woburn and Millbrook and then up Lidlington Hill.

Will head down towards Ivinghoe way and do a loop round there

Lidlington is ok too and Church Rd is Heartbreak...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Joss1965

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT bike but make sure your brakes work well. Two major climbs, as long as your ratios are adequate no problem doing these on the TT. Descent from Kirkstone requires careful braking. On the rest of the course you'll make up lots of time if you are on the aero bike. If it's a A race for you I'd advise a recce.
iwaters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TT bike has ultergra and the brakes seem to be slightly better on that. I bought some carbon wheels last year and haven't tried the brakes with them yet though!

The ratios are the same on both bikes. I have 11-28 cassette on the wheels which I swap between bikes as I have a powertap.

Both currently have a 53/39 chainset but I did also buy a 50/34 back when I was a big fat fatty so I will definitely put that on. I don't think I can go any bigger on the cassette without changing the derailleur.

I would love to do a recce. Unfortunately the lake district is a good 5 hour drive from me. Might see if I can convince the wife and kids for a short break in the holidays and disappear off early one morning Smile
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I did it, it broke me and I vowed never again. Soon got over that and did another two times. Did it last year and having turned into the complacent triathlete had a stupid and self inflicted mechanical which enraged me so much I sacked off the run. Obviously I regret this now and intend to go back for Number 5.

It is a lovely swim in a nice lake, bike is lovely (Struggle is a bit poop), descent down Kirkstone is fine, just take care, and the run is a long dismal walk up a steep mountain, a fabulous scramble up Swirral Edge and a quad destroying run back down Smile

I love it Airborne
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have officially entered!

Swim I am fine with, I'm a pretty good swimmer and I did Consiton end-to-end last year so used to a cold lake.

I am not too concerned about the climbing. Although I am heavy I can put a decent amount of power down and I can lose weight before the event. I am more concerned about the descent.

I have a training camp in March in Lanza so will get some good practice on the hills both up and down.

I did my hill repeat session on the biggest hill I could find (Heartbreak/Church road). That was painful.
Clive

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a TT bike on this tri years ago, and as an "enjoyable descender" type of person, found it slightly scarey controlling those few corners off Kirkstone.
A good tri, well organised, am in again, it's very enjoyable Smile
Simon G.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I have officially entered!

Swim I am fine with, I'm a pretty good swimmer and I did Consiton end-to-end last year so used to a cold lake.

I am not too concerned about the climbing. Although I am heavy I can put a decent amount of power down and I can lose weight before the event. I am more concerned about the descent.

I have a training camp in March in Lanza so will get some good practice on the hills both up and down.

I did my hill repeat session on the biggest hill I could find (Heartbreak/Church road). That was painful.

Don't worry too much about the descent. It isn't very long and you will lose little time if you take it a bit easier than some. I've done it 6 times and it is the long ascent where you will lose a lot of time if you are not so good relatively. (Both cycling up the Struggle and running up Helvellyn Smile I would concentrate on those aspects mostly).
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to enter this, as it's been on my 'want to do' list for ages. And I'll be back again for TriX half just 3 weeks later. Great to read that TT bike is preferred choice if confident - I've a P2 which I've set up for sporting courses (Lanza, Tenby) with hydraulic brakes and would love to bring that. Will recce first on my road bike.
earthling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be number 7 for me! Great race - great atmosphere - harder than the distances suggest and that feeling of accomplishment when you cross the line. Lots do it for fun rather than to race which makes for a great day out if you are not that competitive but looking for an 'event'.

Should be on everybody's CV.

My tip - don't bike too hard the yomp up Helvellyn can be a killer!
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked now, along with campervan spot at Gillside Sat/Sunday nights, and will be recce'ing whilst holidaying there 22-28 July:

Andy Bryant Andy916 M50 29:36 swim est, Cervelo P2C or Scott Addict
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked the run route on Saturday in glorious conditions, if you want a few pics to whet the appetite, hopefully you can view this.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1073918340

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: