Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Can I get much better on the bike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, Outlaw is near flat so it's only a matter of endurance. With that kind of running speed you can go do it now.

Second, I would strongly advise a mountain bike weekend (crash Smile ) course. You'll learn far more about bike handling much faster than any road training can do, and if you crash it'll be slower and softer so you'll dare to try more. It translates extremely well for people timid of road biking in hills.

If you were a decent descender already then road specific training would be better, but don't confuse the two. One will make you able, the other will make you faster.

To gain speed on the road bike, try similar training as you must have done in running - short, sharp sessions at high intensity to gain speed. Attack hills at 110% or do 1 hour at absolute max power. Plodding around will make you good at plodding around.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I didn't mention earlier in the thread was equipment. Make sure you have good quality brakes i.e. powerful and easy to modulate, and good pads, which you keep clean and sand down when they become glazed (or before an event at least). An example of a good brakes are the Shimano dual pivot ones.

Tyres help too, in that they give you confidence. Make sure they have good tread, and are not over or underinflated. Personally I've always just used Continental GP4000s/II on all my bikes with clinchers. 25mm ones mean you can run a bit less pressure for a better ride quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: