Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Leeds - new route

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antht

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Leeds - new route Reply with quote

http://leeds.triathlon.org/event_info/routes/

at least its not a split tranition this year, but the finish is still miles away from the start
I think getting back to the T1 will still be a massive pain in the arse.
hopefully they will have a better system of getting bags to the finish line

what think yee?

I'm still not going to do it this year, last year ruined it for me
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be going back, it was the worst triathlon I have done by some margin.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
I won't be going back, it was the worst triathlon I have done by some margin.

I thought so as well, until I did Rubicon.

I'm only 20 miles away but no chance I'm going back there again.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky as I got my bag delivered as I was in the first wave but wont be doing it this year as having done it I won't do it again as it is a lot of money and if I am less lucky I wouldn't be happy.

TBH I did really enjoy it as I didn't suffer because of the poor logistics and got to bike and run around where I live with closed roads and good support, etc.

I will go to watch though.
Ian A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be back this year. There's still the chance for a big logistical headache. Even without that there are other races to try. I have family in Leeds and can stay local so we're planning on watching the pro races.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian A wrote:
I won't be back this year. There's still the chance for a big logistical headache. Even without that there are other races to try. I have family in Leeds and can stay local so we're planning on watching the pro races.

yep, there is that but the whole background operation has been changed - it's still managed by Ironman, but they have brought in appropriate UK experience and expertise to manage the event logistics - so hopefully the changes will work, and a better experience will be delivered.
antht

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife also hated it because she wanted to see me start and finish, so she said it was the worst race she has ever spectated

personally I loved the racing, even what should have been a boring run was actually really good
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading the run route correctly, you have to cross a stream of athletes to get into the finish chute. Or maybe you merge with them along 'The Headrow' but still looks like a recipe for disaster. Loads of people going into the finish on the first run past, and faster runners tripping over slower runners in the final few hundred metres. It's supposed to be the National Champs isn't it? Will that wave be smaller and not overlap with the mass participation, or there could be a lot of fast guys trying to race to the finish through big crowds.

In my experience, you accept big mass participation events are for the experience and you are not going to race at your best due to the crowds and the logistics of having to stand around for hours before hand.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
If I'm reading the run route correctly, you have to cross a stream of athletes to get into the finish chute. Or maybe you merge with them along 'The Headrow' but still looks like a recipe for disaster. Loads of people going into the finish on the first run past, and faster runners tripping over slower runners in the final few hundred metres. It's supposed to be the National Champs isn't it? Will that wave be smaller and not overlap with the mass participation, or there could be a lot of fast guys trying to race to the finish through big crowds.

In my experience, you accept big mass participation events are for the experience and you are not going to race at your best due to the crowds and the logistics of having to stand around for hours before hand.

I suspect that they will feed the runners who have turned at the roundabout onto The Headrow so they will be alongside those coming in from Lady Lane. yes, there is the clashing potential on the final run into Millenium Square with those who are finishing, and those who need to continue, but the road is wide enough there (it's a 3 lane traffic route) to have separate lanes to be funneled into.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still giving it a swerve - last year was so diabolical (the race, not just the bag issue) that I cannot bring myself to go - even though it is POTENTIALLY a great day - race yourself then watch the best going at it on the same course later on.

Not read the details but the logistics will still be challenging. If you take the sprint athletes (assume there will be this distance) then your finish bag needs to get from the swim to the finish in about an hour. If the lorries aren't idling ready to depart every few minutes then there is no chance. Then you have to sort everything then haul into the town centre to watch the elites.

Good luck!
fenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky last year - I got my kit bag back (not the swim bag) pretty handy.

Swim was fine in the lake.
Can't say I liked the bike course that much - potholey and a bit narrow with riders passing both ways. Slipped on a catseye on a zebra on a bend and narrowly avoided coming down too. It's also not very scenic - which is a pity as there are a lot of lovely places they could have taken us to.
Run was a bit busy - but support was good.

The faffing around did for me though - pick this up here - drop this here. Riding back up to the park was a bit hit and miss too - luckily a kind local showed me a shortcut.

Nice city Leeds - but I'll prob watch on the tv.
Ian A

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
yep, there is that but the whole background operation has been changed - it's still managed by Ironman, but they have brought in appropriate UK experience and expertise to manage the event logistics - so hopefully the changes will work, and a better experience will be delivered.

That's fair comment and Ironman know how to put on a well organised event. This is a flagship race for the British Triathlon and they have every motive to make it a big success. That being said I'd rather see how it pans out this year before thinking about entering again. We'll watch the pro race and think about the AG another year.
earthling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife volunteered last year. She ended up being swore at as she stayed much longer than she should have to try and help out with the bags situation. It was not a pretty sight. It was 4 hours after the finish before I managed to get my bags back and then I had to cycle up to roundhay to get the bags. Singularly the worst triathlon experience either of us have ever had!!!!! To this day nobody from BTF has said thank you to her for being a volunteer!

I understood that BTF were going to basically pay Ironman off and run the race themselves this year. Does not seem that has happened. Locally the mood has not changed much and I know most people are giving it a swerve this year despite the recent media input from the two brownlees.

This year I am going to volunteer and hang out in transition with fat buddha I think. Having looked at the revised course I will not be giving this race my entry fee again. Very poor form BTF - very poor indeed.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now its been made an AG qualifier for 2018. Desperate times and all that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: