Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hever castle half IM distance - Sept

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pip

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Hever castle half IM distance - Sept Reply with quote

Has anyone done this before? I won a free place (yeah!). the bike and run course looks pretty brutal!
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike and run are brutal. Bike has no flat at all, either up or down. Nothing too steep, but relentless. Run is mainly trail, hard but nice. It's a really good weekend, well run and if I'm not mistaken the biggest kids event in Europe, well at least the country.
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever fancy a bike/run recce, just send me a PM. I'm about 5 minutes down the road and will happily take you around, whatever speed.
burning

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it twice and both times I had a great time! Both times the weather was great.
Plenty of other races to watch (including kids), challenging course, very well organized, nice village event...

Concerning the half:
> Swim, water is pretty chilly and navigation on the course is pretty easy
> Bike is challenging. It's a two lap course and plenty of up and downs. It can be hard to maintain a constant effort if you are not used to it. The roads quality is decent and not technical
> For me the run is the hardest part. I'm OK running on trails when only running but in a HIM I really struggle. But at least it's not a boring run! Also if it's been raining a lot in the previous days of the race you may want to wear shoes that do not slip too much on mud....
pip

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone. I live in quite a hilly area so i guess i just need to get out on the bike and run. Sam thanks for the offer. I am going to try and get down at some point, but i think i need to build my fitness otherwise i might not make one lap!
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pip wrote:
thanks everyone. I live in quite a hilly area so i guess i just need to get out on the bike and run. Sam thanks for the offer. I am going to try and get down at some point, but i think i need to build my fitness otherwise i might not make one lap!

I did the bastion (Iron distance) which is 3 laps of the same course but with a 10mile extension of 5mile descent followed by 5mile climb back up. It was essentially an IM length interval session. Id suggest for bike training have some sessions where you do interval work with 5-10minutes of low cadence @ around threshold or just under interspersed with similar length recoveries which will help simulate the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: