Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Di2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need to reset or adjust it when you change cassettes?
kevb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Do you need to reset or adjust it when you change cassettes?

Still has a B-screw, but shouldn't need anything else adjusted. Apparently has an 'on/off' lever for when the rear wheel is removed too.

http://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Series?name=ULTEGRA%20Di2&generation=6870
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Club mate of mine, bit of an all the gear merchant bought a P5 last year when several of us were doing IM Barcelona. Came out in conversation on the day before that he had NEVER charged the battery - did not even know where it was (think it's in quite an awkward place on the P5), but it 'might have been done when it was serviced' - he'd had it a few months but not used it that much.

He was cr&pping himself, and economising his gear changes on the day....

...then again you only need about 3 gear changes for the entire bike leg...Wink

I'm always amazed by the number of people who have Di2 on their bikes but don't know how to test the battery charge, so they charge it pretty much every time they ride! Just press and hold one of the shifters and wait for the lights on the junction box - solid green = 75-100%, flashing green = 50-75%, flashing red = 25 - 50%, solid red = <25%.

It obviously depends on the number of shifts, but I typically get over 2000km between charges.

For the 1st generation, external battery version you just remove the battery and stick it in a charger. For the later, internal battery versions you plug the charger into a covered socket on the junction box. The Cervelo R5 I had last year had the battery hidden in the seat post, so if you didn't want to take the whole bike to a socket, you could take the seat post out and plug directly into the battery.

One of my team mates was on a Cervelo S5 and he had an issue with a loose connection after a flight and he had a complete loss of power on his shakedown ride after he rebuilt his bike. It took the mechanic 15 minutes to work out where the battery was hidden, never mind finding the fault Rolling Eyes . It turned out that because of the aero seat post, the battery was hidden in the downtube. They had to take out the cranks to access it Shocked

I think Di2 makes a lot of sense on a TT bike, where you can have multiple shifters so you can change gear and brake from the same position. For a road bike, the benefits are less obvious. The front shift is the big benefit, particularly with cold hands when a mechanical shift would be a real effort.

Once you've set it all up, it shouldn't need adjusting at all. Everyone knows someone who has had problems with it at some time, but it is generally super-reliable kit.
awildt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a battery recall on some though as they lost charge basically overnight. It should be doing long distances without charge - if it's not, it's worth going back to a shop or supplier to query.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can DI2 be retrofitted to any bike? The internal cabling on my bike has just seized on the front derailleur for the 2nd time in 9 months. Last time the bike shop said the cable was corroded due to water running down the cable into the tube and gathering at the bend near the bottom bracket. They had to remove the bottom bracket to free the cable, and even then it took a lot of effort to get the old cable out. Now, less than a year later it has jammed again, even though I've been changing front derailleur fairly regularly on my trainer sessions.

It might be an expensive solution, but could electronic shifting be a way to stop this happening? Could I just put it on the front derailleur or is that a false economy? Any other solutions for keeping water / sweat out of the frame?

--
Nobbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Can DI2 be retrofitted to any bike? The internal cabling on my bike has just seized on the front derailleur for the 2nd time in 9 months. Last time the bike shop said the cable was corroded due to water running down the cable into the tube and gathering at the bend near the bottom bracket. They had to remove the bottom bracket to free the cable, and even then it took a lot of effort to get the old cable out. Now, less than a year later it has jammed again, even though I've been changing front derailleur fairly regularly on my trainer sessions.

It might be an expensive solution, but could electronic shifting be a way to stop this happening? Could I just put it on the front derailleur or is that a false economy? Any other solutions for keeping water / sweat out of the frame?

--

I fitted DI2 to my old PX pro carbon which was set up for mechanical shifting. You just need to drill the odd hole to route the cables internally and put the battery in the seatpost and the main junction under the stem. I've done thousands of miles on it and the frame hasn't exploded yet. I also did the same on my Spec Shiv which had internal cable routing, but I didn't need to drill this. The DI2 cable is much thinner than the mech cable, so should be straightforward
iron snorks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has travelled all over the world with me with no issues.

One piece of advice is unless you know electronics etc very well get a LBS to fit it all for you.

My mate and I travelled to Korea when IM was there and his Di2 stopped work on the morning of the race because it had water somewhere in the system.

180km is long way in one gear, but on the plus side he now has nailed all the high cadence drills Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

www.ridgesupplysocks.com
www.jaggad.com
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:

--

I fitted DI2 to my old PX pro carbon which was set up for mechanical shifting. You just need to drill the odd hole to route the cables internally and put the battery in the seatpost and the main junction under the stem. I've done thousands of miles on it and the frame hasn't exploded yet. I also did the same on my Spec Shiv which had internal cable routing, but I didn't need to drill this. The DI2 cable is much thinner than the mech cable, so should be straightforward

The alternative these days obviously being Sram eTap - no wires. It's more expensive but I have considered it for my old TT frame which fits like a glove but is not Di2 prepared. And like others, since I got my road bike with Di2, well... I do like it. Might just be eTap could be sneaked in the front door...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to note on mechanical. Cables are pre-stretched; it's bedding-in that causes the changes in tension.
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather splash the cash on the SRAM eTap system. It's groovy.
Mungo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find the blips under the bar tape?!

Had a go a local shop, in TT form ....... bar ends perfect, top shifters..... not convinced.

Seen the latest 220 review on three superbikes, two had etap one di2.

There was a clear winner.
flyingelephant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what floats your boat. Pro's and con's. Always take mag' reviews with a very large sack of salt. Quite often utter bull'.

Last week I was riding along and my hand went down to the down tube to change gear. Don't ride those bikes so often. The mind had wondered off elsewhere.
MrTim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenson Button fell into the "forgot to charge the battery" trap at a 70.3 in the US at the weekend, so was stuck in top gear for the race! Still managed to finish 3rd in his age group and thought he'd qualified for the world champs, but was disqualified for speeding (there's a bend with a 25mph limit).
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTim wrote:
Jenson Button fell into the "forgot to charge the battery" trap at a 70.3 in the US at the weekend,

the same problem he had at Mclaren for the last couple of years...you'd think he'd know better...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think they have a limiter button in F1 so once pressed they CANNOT go above 50 mph, and use it to go right at, but with no risk of going over 50mph when in the pit lane area.

He obviously wasn't used to dialling back his own performance....Wink

Solid race though, given he as mashing a huge gear for all the bike; then posted a 1:23 run.

He'll have to find another Q race for Chatt....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: