Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Event Photography
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDaveB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazep wrote:
Cheers for the views all.
How long would an event of say 1000 entrants take you in total (excluding the event)? It is appearing to be way more hassle than it's worth for what I was hoping would be an easy addition to an already learned skill/hobby.

I only did Running and not Tri's so the view is on that...

Prior to race - checking cameras and set up web site - about 1 hour

Printing and chopping adverts for goody bags - about 30 minutes- 1 hour

The race itself - Say a half marathon - An hour commute each way to the race + race itself + maybe prize giving - about 3 hours, so 5 hours on the day at event.

Downloading images to computer + crop/discard/levels adjust cycle/ resize-process for web site - 5 hours

Upload of photos (overnight - about 6-8 hours - unmanned)

Tagging photos - 3 hours

Upload and processing tagging file/database management -20 minutes

Per print sale about 15 minutes as they came in dribs and drabs

Per digital sale 0 seconds - all automated

Per 'issue' - expect about 5-10 for a 1000 person race - about 30 minutes each.

Sales per 1000 person race - between 20-60. When it was 20 you made a loss, when it was 60 you made a profit, but were swamped when you were back at work

Prices were 5 for digital, 10 for a print at 6x4 and 14 for a 8x10.

All prints were mounted in card mounts and sent 1st class.

Over time the number of 10-20 person races became too high for it to be worth while...

Almost everybody has a digital camera now. THere are lots of bad photos out there where there was no discard process in the cycle of work.
intermanaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never figure out why people buy race photos. Who really wants a photo of them dragging their sweaty carcass around a course? What do you do with the photo? Mantelpiece? Album? Bottom drawer? Nine quid for a crappy 6x4!?

There's no pressure on the photographer on a mass event, though, is there? If you don't get a shot of one or two competitor out on the course, so what?

I did a dog agility event as a stand-in a few weeks ago. Weird, but no pressure at all. Just click away, drop the photos on-line, and wait for people to buy them. Easy.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intermanaut wrote:
I did a dog agility event as a stand-in a few weeks ago.

Got any pictures of that?
bazep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDaveB wrote:
bazep wrote:
Cheers for the views all.
How long would an event of say 1000 entrants take you in total (excluding the event)? It is appearing to be way more hassle than it's worth for what I was hoping would be an easy addition to an already learned skill/hobby.

I only did Running and not Tri's so the view is on that...

Prior to race - checking cameras and set up web site - about 1 hour

Printing and chopping adverts for goody bags - about 30 minutes- 1 hour

The race itself - Say a half marathon - An hour commute each way to the race + race itself + maybe prize giving - about 3 hours, so 5 hours on the day at event.

Downloading images to computer + crop/discard/levels adjust cycle/ resize-process for web site - 5 hours

Upload of photos (overnight - about 6-8 hours - unmanned)

Tagging photos - 3 hours

Upload and processing tagging file/database management -20 minutes

Per print sale about 15 minutes as they came in dribs and drabs

Per digital sale 0 seconds - all automated

Per 'issue' - expect about 5-10 for a 1000 person race - about 30 minutes each.

Sales per 1000 person race - between 20-60. When it was 20 you made a loss, when it was 60 you made a profit, but were swamped when you were back at work

Prices were 5 for digital, 10 for a print at 6x4 and 14 for a 8x10.

All prints were mounted in card mounts and sent 1st class.

Over time the number of 10-20 person races became too high for it to be worth while...

Almost everybody has a digital camera now. THere are lots of bad photos out there where there was no discard process in the cycle of work.

Cheers Dave
Your last point is probably why I was considering this as I can actually take a picture - seems many "real Togs" are lacking some skill in the basic stuff but have all the other stuff you mention sorted.

Answer sorted anyhow - thanks. All your info provided has confirmed what I thought may be the case so thanks for saving me the time.
edward137

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Photography Reply with quote

bazep wrote:
Anyone got any experience with this or can offer any advice?

I've never really considered making money out of my other hobby, but after a couple of sporting events (cycling and running) I have really enjoyed it and folk have started saying I should get paid for it (or just starting to assume that that's what I do for a living). It has got me wondering if I could or if I'm better off just taking snaps of friends for free. I'm not a newb and have invested in some reasonable kit so there wouldn't be any probs with the actual pics. I am thinking it might be possible to do this on the odd weekend for local events. I have a decent job so I'm not looking to "go pro" as such just maybe a little sideline.

I was going to ask this on one of the togging forums but wondered if there were any friendlies here before I get flamed for Photography For Events suggesting that a non-pro togger could even pick up a camera.

Any views? (don't worry I have my tin hat on...)

Hi,
If you wanna make money then you can take contract on local basis like wedding , sports event or you can join any local newspaper....
MrTim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 scheds wrote:
If you aim for high volume, low margin - you'd probably destroy most of the competition.

The asking prices I've seen are nearly as shocking as some of the entry fees out there.

IMHO there's lots of money to be made by a photography outfit who don't treat their propective customers like idiots.

Same with race photos. I'd definitely buy them for a couple of quid, maybe go to a fiver, but the prices are always ridiculous for the quality of the photography (15 plus per image and of a standard I'd just delete myself!) and I can't believe anyone pays them!
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Event Photography Reply with quote

edward137 wrote:
bazep wrote:

I've never really considered making money out of my other hobby, but after a couple of sporting events (cycling and running) I have really enjoyed it and folk have started saying I should get paid for it (or just starting to assume that that's what I do for a living). It has got me wondering if I could or if I'm better off just taking snaps of friends for free. I'm not a newb and have invested in some reasonable kit so there wouldn't be any probs with the actual pics. I am thinking it might be possible to do this on the odd weekend for local events. I have a decent job so I'm not looking to "go pro" as such just maybe a little sideline.

I was going to ask this on one of the togging forums but wondered if there were any friendlies here before I get flamed for Photography For Events suggesting that a non-pro togger could even pick up a camera.

Hi,
If you wanna make money then you can take contract on local basis like wedding , sports event or you can join any local newspaper....

And in tomorrow's lesson on spam, we learn how many eggs makes six. Very Happy
antht

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the great north run last year, they had banks of go pro's snapping constantly, all automated and the photos were #@?# and expensive

lucky for me, my wife is a photographer Wink
thepast123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Event Photography Reply with quote

bazep wrote:

I've never really considered making money out of my other hobby, but after a couple of sporting events (cycling and running) I have really enjoyed it and folk have started saying I should get paid for it (or just starting to assume that that's what I do for a living). It has got me wondering if I could or if I'm better off just taking snaps of friends for free. I'm not a newb and have invested in some reasonable kit so there wouldn't be any probs with the actual pics. I am thinking it might be possible to do this on the odd weekend for local events. I have a decent job so I'm not looking to "go for professional product photography" as such just maybe a little sideline.

I was going to ask this on one of the togging forums but wondered if there were any friendlies here before I get flamed for even suggesting that a non-pro togger could even pick up a camera.

Well you can try to work as beginner photographer by taking small photography assignment. In that way you can gain some experience and learn more about photography.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photography strikes me as one of the professions where there are so many hobbyists it is really difficult to make money. I know a few people who are passionate about the past-time and good enough to get occasional commissions for sports journalism or business portfolio work, but it is pocket money to help them justify buying more kit rather than actually making any real money.

Race photographers rarely turn up at events I frequent any more. I think the market is only for first timers or big bucket list events, and as the analysis earlier in this thread shows, if you want to accurately get paid for your time then the costs soon add up. Then you get a hobbyist who has come to the event for a day out, posts images for free on his flickr account and captures the atmosphere of the day much better.

--
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of mates who are professional photographers and make a decent living out of creative work for magazines, adverts etc and they both bemoan the rise of the camera phone and social media and how it is devaluing their "art". There are some great photos taken on iPhones, but there are also loads of really bad pictures and people see photos as something quite disposable now and not something that they necessarily want to pay for.

On the HotChillee events that I ride captain for, the cost of the photographer is covered by the event company (and ultimately rolled into the entry), so entrants get free access to the digital images of all of the photos taken.
awildt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Photography Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
edward137 wrote:
bazep wrote:

Hi,

This post proves that most people don't actually read the whole thread. Rather just give an opinion if it's relevant or not. Rolling Eyes Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Event Photography Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
FatPom wrote:
edward137 wrote:
bazep wrote:

Hi,

This post proves that most people don't actually read the whole thread. Rather just give an opinion if it's relevant or not. Rolling Eyes Wink

It was a necro thread resuurected by a spambot. You get that bit,,,right Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: