Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hoka trainers and achilles tendonitis
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:


Define your over pronation


Landing mostly heel flat and rolling to outside of my foot before toe off. Feet end up pointing outwards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


Define your over pronation


Landing mostly heel flat and rolling to outside of my foot before toe off. Feet end up pointing outwards.


who diagnosed this?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


Define your over pronation


Landing mostly heel flat and rolling to outside of my foot before toe off. Feet end up pointing outwards.


who diagnosed this?


Gait analysis whilst buying shoes first at Runnersneed then Sweatshop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


Define your over pronation


Landing mostly heel flat and rolling to outside of my foot before toe off. Feet end up pointing outwards.


who diagnosed this?


Gait analysis whilst buying shoes first at Runnersneed then Sweatshop.


let's unpick this a bit then....

for simplicity, do you mean that you landed on your heel with the foot in a neutral position and as the foot rolled through from heel strike to toe off, you rolled the foot to the outside with the little toe being the last point of contact and they sold you a pair of shoes to stop you over pronating?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jgav




Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


Define your over pronation


Landing mostly heel flat and rolling to outside of my foot before toe off. Feet end up pointing outwards.


who diagnosed this?


Gait analysis whilst buying shoes first at Runnersneed then Sweatshop.


let's unpick this a bit then....

for simplicity, do you mean that you landed on your heel with the foot in a neutral position and as the foot rolled through from heel strike to toe off, you rolled the foot to the outside with the little toe being the last point of contact and they sold you a pair of shoes to stop you over pronating?


Sounds about right except for it is the big toe which was last contact point. And on the video, the ankle rolled into the centre whilst wearing neutral shoes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


Define your over pronation


Landing mostly heel flat and rolling to outside of my foot before toe off. Feet end up pointing outwards.


who diagnosed this?


Gait analysis whilst buying shoes first at Runnersneed then Sweatshop.


let's unpick this a bit then....

for simplicity, do you mean that you landed on your heel with the foot in a neutral position and as the foot rolled through from heel strike to toe off, you rolled the foot to the outside with the little toe being the last point of contact and they sold you a pair of shoes to stop you over pronating?


Sounds about right except for it is the big toe which was last contact point. And on the video, the ankle rolled into the centre whilst wearing neutral shoes.


ah, so the foot did't roll towards the outside which is what i thought your original post suggested
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
midsfella




Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Posts: 212

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hokas would you recommend for PF? I'm currently wearing infinite but they haven't helped.....

Would love to hear your recommendations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14342
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None....you would be better off sorting your PF
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BigFoz




Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Posts: 1874
Location: Glasgow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both PF and dodgy achilles. In desperation I tried going the other way - from motion control with deep soles to minimalist shoes (Brave at 111Kg at the time...). Minimalist were a bit much for my weight (fine on treadmill, but felt stones etc too much on/off road), so I moved up a notch.

Not had any issues in 3 years since. In spite of terminally flat feet demanding (per gait analysis) monster raving motion control shoes, I run in shoes that are:
- Under 270g
- Neutral or with light cushioning / stability
- drop of max 8mm

In my injury free period I've pulled my weight down from 111Kg to 100, and am hoping to go under 100 this week (I've been hovering for a while...) . I'm also now running every 2 months the mileage I used to manage annually...

My caveat is that I lived my teenage years (10-25) in South Africa, and we did gym / PE / cross country / rugby etc in bare feet, so my body really developed barefoot. I still go barefoot most of the year round where practical. I felt this made sense for me - taking me back to a happy injury free period, and it has proven worthwhile for me.
_________________
Not so much a six pack as a barrel!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.