Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Maastricht 2016

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldandslow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Ironman Maastricht 2016 Reply with quote

The midlife crisis just keeps giving - to the extent that I am moving up from staggering around 70.3 courses to attempting a full Iron at the age of 50.

Maastricht seemed to get some pretty good reviews on its debut this year and is flattish, so have gone for that.

Any hints, tips for an athlete who is rich on time but not talent?

Also, any accommodation tips would be gratefully received. Looking at a four-night stay with wife and two children.

Many thanks,
Paul
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a look for this years race thread there are some comments about the course on that.

It was a good race for its first year but had some rough edges that will hopefully be sorted out.

The pasta party was poor and so were the post race food imo. If it was raining the events stage and area behind transition would have been not to pleasant.

Swim was good, straight, rolling start, with an island turn after about one mile, easy to sight. Short run to transition.

Bike was a mixed bag, 5k long (really), and not as flat as you'd think. Some horrible bits on cobbles in places, and a couple of bits where it was open to other cyclists and pedestrians. Hopefully they will modify the route, if it was wet the cobbles would have been lethal. Hard to get much momentum as there were a lot of dead turns. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as bad as Bolton, but for a time trialler it wasn't great. The cauberg was good though.

I liked the run, despite not having a great day, a couple of climbs and you went out of the town at one point. Great through town and finishing in the marketplace.

If they can improve the bad bits of the bike it would be a great race.

I stayed about 2k from the centre as I drove, it was near a huge conference area. There were buses and trains but you needed to get used to the times etc. And had to get a taxi on race day. Probably better staying in the centre if you book early enough and are willing to pay a few quid more, but it also depends on how you get there. Parking was expensive everywhere.

Jeff
Oldandslow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Jeff.....after the potholes of Watford, cobbles should be a breeze!
Plissken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Hi,

Have a look for this years race thread there are some comments about the course on that.

It was a good race for its first year but had some rough edges that will hopefully be sorted out.

The pasta party was poor and so were the post race food imo. If it was raining the events stage and area behind transition would have been not to pleasant.

Swim was good, straight, rolling start, with an island turn after about one mile, easy to sight. Short run to transition.

Bike was a mixed bag, 5k long (really), and not as flat as you'd think. Some horrible bits on cobbles in places, and a couple of bits where it was open to other cyclists and pedestrians. Hopefully they will modify the route, if it was wet the cobbles would have been lethal. Hard to get much momentum as there were a lot of dead turns. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't as bad as Bolton, but for a time trialler it wasn't great. The cauberg was good though.

I liked the run, despite not having a great day, a couple of climbs and you went out of the town at one point. Great through town and finishing in the marketplace.

If they can improve the bad bits of the bike it would be a great race.

I stayed about 2k from the centre as I drove, it was near a huge conference area. There were buses and trains but you needed to get used to the times etc. And had to get a taxi on race day. Probably better staying in the centre if you book early enough and are willing to pay a few quid more, but it also depends on how you get there. Parking was expensive everywhere.

Jeff

agree on most of it
swim 9/10: great course, a bit congested at the turn-around but overall amazing swim course

bike: difficult to rate. If you tell me you go on that course for a granfondo, then I grab my road bike and I will have lot of fun. But for an ironman race, expecting it "flattish", "safe" and clean...I would say it is a little bit crazy! If you get rain on that course, many people would go to the hospital. Also some tight spots which can be dangerous with a group of riders. You have so many curves, 90 degrees, cobblestones, also a stretch with some gravel and it turns to be a "slow" course even if you get only 600meters total ascent.
Honestly, despite several fast flat stretches, if I had to go again, I would ride with my road bike with short aero bars on it.

run: it is a 3 loops and you have maybe 3km in the old city which is very nice. then you have a flat stretch in the countryside, back and forth of maybe 3-4km where you see all the way through the turnaround point and that was a killer for my mental challenge. Also the small hill you have to repeat 3 times, at the 3rd loop can be a mountain!

Overall, if they improve the bike course, it is a race to be done again
BigFoz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's flat you want, Challenge Almere is your poison. A high point on the course of just 3m. Yes, 10 feet. (Mind you I think it goes below sea level in places and the wind is going to be a sod...)
holster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Almere really is that flat! Reply with quote

Mother in law lives in Almere (right by the lake) so for 5 to 6 weeks a year, training around Almere is my base.

The wind is the issue around Almere. Nearly every ride you do around the coast (of the island) there's been at least a 8mph difference between the way out / back. Winds are commonly about 20-30mph.

The whole island on which Almere is built is reclaimed land from the sea and I have a lovely 5km route with 3 metres of climb.

If anyone needs any further info about Almere / surrounding area, just shout.

From Calais, by car, if the road is clear, is about 3 hours.

Am debating Maastricht or local full distance race
strawberrypete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agre Plissken...its the bike course that lets the race down. You just don't get the momentum, too many dead turns etc etc
Hope they get it sorted as the atmosphere in the square at the finish is great!
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post on their Facebook page today which hinted at changes to at least the bike course. Hopefully something will be announced soon.

Jeff
scott b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bike route announced and a 4 lap run course. I'm trying to sweet talk the wife into letting me go.
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did people get to Maastricht? Flying to Maastricht seems like the best option as it is so close to the race instead of going to Brussels but it seems there are very few direct flights UK to Maastricht.
strawberrypete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just took the PO North Sea ferries from Hull and drove to Maastricht.
You can take as much gear as you want, it's only about a 3h ish drive from Rotterdam
holster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on accommodation Reply with quote

Visit Holland 3-4 times a year (other half is Dutch)....my questions are a little general, but thought I'd post her for thoughts:

1. I've found a really nice place for my family and inlaws. It's 20 miles away from the centre of Maastricht. Am I best to be closer? Travel in won't be a problem on day I guess / hope...the father in law has offered to drop me off at silly o clock hour

2. Am I right in thinking you pick up all your gear the following day? (Monday)

Cheers, and apologies if the questions are a little general...
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on accommodation Reply with quote

holster wrote:
2. Am I right in thinking you pick up all your gear the following day? (Monday)

I don't know about this specific event, but at every other IM I've done they've wanted you to take your stuff on the night of the race and they usually specify that transition won't be secure after a specific time. The next morning, they are usually well on the way to dismantling transition.
holster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Whisk.

I'm kind of hoping for a sub 12....starting (c) 6 to 7am would lead to a 6-7pm finish...probably in to transition 8pm ish and out 9pm ish at latest.

On reflections, makes perfect sense.

I think having a number of people around to help (there'll be 3 other adults) get stuff from venue to car will help a great deal.
Mungo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old mate of mine doing this one.
I think its his first LD race, certainly full IM.

Hes a hotshot.

2:43 VLM which he says he messed up.

Excellent cyclist, especially climbing.

I remember him learning to swim......
Like a duck to water.

Kind of hate him but hes a really nice fella.

Not sure if sub 10 is possible for a first Mdot but if anyone can...

GO Vince.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: