Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rat Race Coast to Coast 2017

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stedic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Rat Race Coast to Coast 2017 Reply with quote

Very much considering this for next year.

Has anyone done it? Anything I need to know other than the stuff on the website?
zx9pat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it this year.........awful weather WIND! conditions meant out of the expert 1 dayers only 113 finished compared to 336 starters. Organisers did say the event was the toughest yet.

I did the 2 day challenge event..........it all depends on how you propose to get to Scotland.

I drove up from Winchester by car stopping at Penrith on day 1 and day 2 finished the journey to Glencoe. Stayed overnight at the Isle of Ballacuish Hotel (finish line) and packed my bike on the lorry - left car - took their bus to Cawdor - registered at Cawdor (yes you can) then the bus continued to Nairn (b n b overnight) - started next day in Nairn after dropping overnight bag on lorry. After completing the first day on arrival in Fort Augustus picked up overnight bag and I had booked the hostel (with team mate) (rooms for 2) - you can camp - next morning started after dropping overnight bag back on lorry. Then after race (we had booked the hotel finish line) - glad we did this as watching wet, cold racers having to endure a 2 hr bus journey back to Nairn (start line) - definitely happy I had picked this option - straight into a hot warm bath!

TIP: Book accommodation early!!! Nairn b n bs are very difficult to book and locate if you leave it too late! I mean very early like easily 6-8 months before! Glencoe Isles of Ballacuish offering deals all year round - if you want to book the Thursday night - book direct - a lot cheaper! They will be sold out probably for the sunday night as rat race tend to buy the hotel for their finish line packages. I booked accommodation in January and was lucky to get it! It was selling out fast!

TIP: Bike choice - road bikes were by far and away the bike most were using - others like myself used mountain bikes with a hybrid tyre...Day 1 is all road -the offroad section on day 2 is mostly fast fire hard packed gravel track and one small section of slightly muddy technical descent and I mean small section easily less than a mile.

Fab location and beautiful scenery all the way (if you take the time to look at it!) Kayaking on Loch ness - whats not to like.

Enjoy.

Fantastic scenery - strong winds on both days forced the kayak section to the finish line to be cancelled and extended the trek/run on the mountain section (run - didn't see anyone doing this) from 14 to 16 miles.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would like to do this....but it's the wrong weekend...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
steveymac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at doing this however just clicked a few buttons yesterday and I seem to have entered the Brutal instead! One for he future for sure however...
Stedic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to enter later.

Have a cyclocross bike with 35c Sammy Slicks already, so have told the wife I won't need a new bike... Failing to mention others items I may acquire instead!
fenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross bike is the way to do it. You probably have most of the kit you need already ? Running pack, some emergency stuff and you're good to go.

Might help to practice paddling a kayak but the first paddle is only small.

Its the last one thats trickier = longer and you're tired and your hip flexors have probably gone by then.

Great challenge.
wizzy79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing this event this year (one day challenge)

I am flying from Birmingham to Inverness. The carrier (FlyBe) have a poor reputation for getting bulky items to the other end so I have booked a bike to hire at the other end, but would prefer to take mine.

Is anyone interested in doing bike transport by road? If someone is driving up and has space, I would pay them to take mine.

Or perhaps there is scope for several bikes if someone wants to cover their race expenses?

I did see there were companies springing up a couple of years back to transport bikes for IM events abroad, perhaps one of those might get involved if there were enough people to make it work? Are they still around?
fenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few companies doing bike transport - but can't see the numbers making it worthwhile for this.

Your best bet is finding someone close to you that's doing it and driving up I reckon. I wonder if RR could help you out on this - let you know if any Brummie tri clubs have signed up ?
zx9pat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the rat race page on facebook - post up what your looking for - people normally posting questions/liftshares etc. on there.......
wizzy79

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, will try their FB page first
Nistal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Rate race Coast to Coast Bike Transfer Reply with quote

Is there only one bus/truck taking bikes from Ballaculish to Cawdor ? I see mention of a bus at midday. Was hoping there would be a later one.
zx9pat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus/lorries - there is a fleet of them - but from memory they pretty much left at the same time - but not absolutely sure about timings so you would be best of emailing direct and asking question.

Great event - enjoy! You have got a year to plan it out!
Nistal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.. I did wonder how everyone was going to fit on a single bus! Will likely do as you did and travel up a day earlier to ensure we are there in time for the midday bus fleet. Looking forward to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: