Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
When to strengthen?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BART14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: When to strengthen? Reply with quote

As someone new to tri (just started week 3 of sprint training plan with 1st tri in June the target), I am unsure how to add strength training into my schedule. I am currently training 6 days a week - 2 swimming, 2 cycling and 2 running (3 if you count the short run on my brick session). Ideally I would also like to incorporate some core work and general resistance training. My thoughts are to try and do this on my running days so that I still have my 1 day rest. Swimming and cycling days I would find this difficult. Any thoughts?

As an aside.....I have a couple of sprint tris and (if all goes well) a standard tri in mind between now and September. My current training plan is 12 weeks. I'm unsure what way to train during the gap periods. I know I will have to raise the bar for the standard tri and will look to find an appropriate training schedule but in between sprint tris do I just look to maintain??
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do strength training before my easy 40 min run on a Monday to replicate running on tired legs. I'm not sure if this is wise but it seems to work for me.
BART14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tried incorporating a strength and conditioning session on the tueday running day in between swim days on mon & thurs. I found that my wed swim session really suffered as my shoulders were fatigued. That really leaves me with thurs - sun to try and get 2 strength sessions in which is unrealistic as sat is a brick session and I'm pretty tired. Is one strength session per week enough??
BART14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, between swim session mon & Wed...
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What S&C work are you doing that is causing you shoulder fatigue? I try to concentrate my S&C around core strength and flexibility and it doesn't impact a hard day the next day in any discipline. I'm currently trying to incorporate multiple 15-20min workouts in a week, rather than 1-2x1hr. It fits in a lunchtime or late evening slot rather than having to specifically make time. Might not be as effective, but if the benefit is it gets done versus getting skipped, then it has to be an improvement.

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: