Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Longer sleeved tri tops / suits?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same issue about leg coverings seems to be a case of where you go and how strict do they want to be.

I understand quite clearly you can't wear calf guards in a pool swim, yet last year saw plenty of folks doing exactly that with no penalty.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tri_longer wrote:
The same issue about leg coverings seems to be a case of where you go and how strict do they want to be.

I understand quite clearly you can't wear calf guards in a pool swim, yet last year saw plenty of folks doing exactly that with no penalty.

It all comes down to the race official and their enforcement of the rules - it can be inconsistent to say the least! Rolling Eyes Some of the, shall we say, "longer serving" officials aren't up to speed on some of the newer kit rules. And if they are, some disagree with them so do nothing rather than enforce them.

At that point - I'd best zip it..... Smile
Garreth6r4

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Garreth6r4 wrote:
I read it as they wouldn't be allowed.

From what I've read people using them in non wetsuit swims are using a swimskin and rolling the suit down to the waist under the swimskin - then unrolling it in T1 whilst after dropping the 'skin.

If that makes sense.

G

swimskins are banned in non-wetsuit swims under BTF rules so anyone doing that is on a potential double DQ for swimskin and sleeves!! Laughing

but, here is confusion - WTC allow swimskins (provided they are from the approved list) in their non wetsuit swims. they're almost de rigeur at Kona.

Well you live and learn ! I didn't know they were banned as well.

I did Ripon last year (non wetsuit) and saw a couple of guys using them.

It's a minefield Smile Thanks for the info.

G
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garreth6r4 wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
Garreth6r4 wrote:
I read it as they wouldn't be allowed.

From what I've read people using them in non wetsuit swims are using a swimskin and rolling the suit down to the waist under the swimskin - then unrolling it in T1 whilst after dropping the 'skin.

If that makes sense.

G

swimskins are banned in non-wetsuit swims under BTF rules so anyone doing that is on a potential double DQ for swimskin and sleeves!! Laughing

but, here is confusion - WTC allow swimskins (provided they are from the approved list) in their non wetsuit swims. they're almost de rigeur at Kona.

Well you live and learn ! I didn't know they were banned as well.

I did Ripon last year (non wetsuit) and saw a couple of guys using them.

It's a minefield Smile Thanks for the info.

G

there is a workaround with swimskins - if caught wearing one take the DQ, or keep it on over the trikit and carry on wearing it for the race duration. and maybe suffer as a result. no brainer really - don't put one on to start with!
Slow-as*-Tri

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Slow-as*-Tri wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
poofinger wrote:
presumably none of these are legit in non-wetsuit swims?

that's a borderline one in the UK

BTF Rule - "Coverings below the knee and covering the arms are not permitted in non-wetsuit swims and pool based swims"

so does "covering the arms" mean the whole arm or just part of it??

the ITU rule is a bit clearer - "When the use of wetsuits is forbidden, clothing covering any part of the arms below the shoulders and clothing covering any part of the legs below the knees is also forbidden."

I would interpret the BTF rule as saying they should NOT be allowed

Just read this and came out in a cold sweat...
I'm currently preparing for my first novice tri in 3 weeks time.. as it's a pool swim I thought I'd get away with a tri-suit, so purchased a traditional arm-less one, didn't like the fit under the arms (cause i'm still a fatty fatso, and the excess pinching of flesh under the arms was not attractive to say the least, let alone comfortable for swimming/running), so needless to say was delighted when this topic came up..
So happily I returned the original tri-suit (thanks wiggle.com) and purchased a short sleeve type, tried it on, happy days, nice and comfy, and not so self concious about the look Smile ...
But now i'm in a full panic, if I wear my nice new tri-suit in the upcoming pool swim triathlon am I going to be DQ'd before I even get my toes wet???
How strictly are these rules adhered too in novice events?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Ta.

it will depend on how strict the race official (referee) is. technically they could DQ you, but we (and I'm an official) do try and make exceptions for beginners as most don't know the rules, and if they do, many do not understand kit rules which are now important. we'd rather you enjoy your 1st event and hope you keep racing in the future so my suggestion would be to go ahead to the event, explain to the race official your issue (maybe point at this thread) and I'm sure you will be fine- enjoy!

we try to make exceptions for newbies but with the experienced guys we'd be more strict.

but get yourself a copy of the BTF rulebook and read it....zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wink there are obvious rules and not so obvious - the latter is where most issues arise.

Hi FB,

Many thanks for the great advice, it's much appreciated... just aiming to get round now, hopefully not in last place!? Smile

Cheers
antht

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the nike pro combat tops?
I bought a few of the from sports direct. I wear them when training, they seem to be fine
Welsh Moz

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepeteh wrote:
Welsh Moz wrote:

Whether it will provide any extra speed remains to be seen, but even if not the suit looks great and I definitely prefer the short-sleeve look!

It wont, but if it feels good and there is some psychological benefit then great Surprised

What makes you so sure? Are you saying that Castelli are lying?! Shocked Wink
racingrob

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just amazing how the letters TRI inflates the cost of a product 165 for the Fusion speed suit wow. i bought a club skin suit for 90 covers everything from wrist to knees skin tight and feels great and can even run in the thing.
obviously i only wear it under the wet suit.... not as a swim suit.
suggs

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racingrob wrote:
Just amazing how the letters TRI inflates the cost of a product 165 for the Fusion speed suit wow. i bought a club skin suit for 90 covers everything from wrist to knees skin tight and feels great and can even run in the thing.

It's expensive but I'm still tempted*, has anyone bought one and have any comments? How see-through is the white bit?

I was also looking at the Orca 226 top http://www.orca.com/gb-en/m-226-tri-top/, looks quite tidy. Anyone used one?

*My club was asking for 150 for a skin suit so similar price.
funkster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggs wrote:
racingrob wrote:

It's expensive but I'm still tempted*, has anyone bought one and have any comments? How see-through is the white bit?

I was also looking at the Orca 226 top http://www.orca.com/gb-en/m-226-tri-top/, looks quite tidy. Anyone used one?

*My club was asking for 150 for a skin suit so similar price.

Got my hands on one this week.

i'm a medium in the fusion shorts and a large in their Speed top.
Have got a medium in the speed suit and it feels nice and snug.

The material on the white bit is similar to the speed top and not really see through at all.
I've decided I'd much rather have a white top as it makes me a bit easier to see.

Will be going for a run in it on Tuesday, so will report back
suggs

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkster wrote:

Got my hands on one this week.

i'm a medium in the fusion shorts and a large in their Speed top.
Have got a medium in the speed suit and it feels nice and snug.

The material on the white bit is similar to the speed top and not really see through at all.
I've decided I'd much rather have a white top as it makes me a bit easier to see.

Will be going for a run in it on Tuesday, so will report back

Thanks. Now just need to decide if I'm ok using a suit for long distance. Have used shorts and top in past, in case of emergency (ahem), but not been necessary thus far.
funkster

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did an hours run in the Fusion Speed suit yesterday.
Very snug but not overly.

Once you undo the zip past halfway, it's going ALL the way down.

Only issue might be that some rubbing under the arms due to the very snug cut.
I suffer from this with most tight tops, but a bit of lube should see me right.

Will give it a full test at the Outlaw Half next week
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Champion System mentioned earlier on this thread; don't you have to submit a minimum order for their stuff? Pity if you do.
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I saw Champion System mentioned earlier on this thread; don't you have to submit a minimum order for their stuff? Pity if you do.

Why are you reading a 3 year old thread? :-S
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Why are you reading a 3 year old thread? :-S

Used the search function, and it saves starting new threads when it's unnecessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: